Windows 10: Create media for automated unattended install of Windows 10

Discus and support Create media for automated unattended install of Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; 1. If I have several disks on my computer, how can I make sure it will prepare the image, to install windows on the right disk? 2. As I have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by johngalt, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Kari Win User

Create media for automated unattended install of Windows 10

It seems that you must forget automating first phase of Windows installation, Step Three in tutorial completely. If you do Step Three (3.1 through 3.22) the whole disk, all partitions on it will be wiped clean and any existing data will be lost. There is no way you can leave existing partitions intact.

In your case, just do Steps One and Two, skip Three, then continue from Four.

In Windows SIM, expand Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup component, right click FolderLocations setting, select Add Setting to pass 7 oobeSystem, select FolderLocations in Answer File pane, enter location for Users folder in ProfilesDirectory:

Create media for automated unattended install of Windows 10 [​IMG]

(Click to enlarge.)

2. Fordlobus Win User

Hi Kari,
    Thanks for you superquick reply! LEt me explain you a bit more about how I have my disks configured:
    A) My Laptop: A primary SSD disk where windows is installed, and a Secondary Disk where I have 4 partitions (\Documents, \Downloads, so on...)
    B) My desktop: A primary SSD disk where Windows is installed, a secondary SSD with \Users folder (Thanks for it!) and a RAID 1 disk with 4 partitions (Documents, Downloads, etc).

So, in your tutorial, you mention to set a Disk ID when adding a new disk. I dont mind creating the system partitions when installing Windows 1709, but I'd need to be sure that Windows will be installed in the right disk, otherwise I could lose information *Smile
    3.11) Select the disk you added in Answer File pane, set DiskID to be 0 and WillWipeDisk to true:

In my case, on Laptop the primary disk might as well be DiskID 0, but on my Desktop it's DiskID 1 (since it's a PCI SSD)

I guess that if I skip whole Step 3, I'll be able to choose in which Disk can I install windows, am I right?
    If that's the case, it doesn't bother me, since I prefer to make sure where windows will be installed *Smile

Thanks for your excellent support, I'll keep digging in your tutorials!!

Fordlobus, Nov 9, 2017
  3. Kari Win User
    Yes, skip Step Three entirely and you have normal option to partition disks and select on which disk Windows will be installed. Do Step Four, though, to automate OOBE.

4. Fordlobus Win User

Cool! I'll try this weekend *Smile By the way, if the user folder exists, let's say in drive D:, Will it be overwritten during installation, or if it already exists, will be kept with all data? *Smile

I intend to re-install windows with this image, with my same existing username located on the d:\users folder

Will it be ok, and all data kept exactly as is now?

Thanks so much for your patience!

Fordlobus, Nov 9, 2017
  5. Kari Win User
    No, you can't use an existing Users folder from another installation. The target drive should be empty.

6. DEEPDKHI2 Win User
    I think Kari that step 6.3, 6.4 & onwards can only be performed on a physical machine & not on a virtual machine (virtualbox) as it is not possible to send the crtl+alt+f3 command to a virtual machine

DEEPDKHI2, Nov 13, 2017
  7. Kari Win User
    I do not know VirtualBox, being a great fan of Hyper-V. I have never had any issues to boot any VM to Audit Mode with CTRL + SHIFT + F3.

Some alternative ways for you:

Alternative 1: make VM full screen, then press CTRL + SHIFT + F3

Alternative 2: Use On-Screen Keyboard, select Fn key to show F (function) keys, select CTRL, select SHIFT, click F3:

Alternative 3: Press SHIFT + F10 to open Command Prompt, type following command and press Enter:

sysprep\sysprep.exe /audit /reboot

Alternative 2, using On-Screen Keyboard should be a trick known by all VM users as a valid and practical way to enter any keyboard shortcuts or commands in case VM is not reading host keyboard.

8. DEEPDKHI2 Win User

Thanks Kari. I will try it out.

DEEPDKHI2, Nov 14, 2017
  9. DEEPDKHI2 Win User
    Kari-I am getting a message"Windows could not prepare the partition selected for installation". How do I get over this error.

DEEPDKHI2, Nov 15, 2017
  10. Kari Win User
    Please describe as exactly as possible what have you done and at which point you are getting that error, which step in tutorial are you doing when error occurs?

11. DEEPDKHI2 Win User
    Kari-- I think I have erred somewhere along the line. I will redo the process & get back to you if I get the error again. Good night to you.

DEEPDKHI2, Nov 15, 2017
  12. Kari Win User
    OK.

The tutorial really shows a fail proof method, I have tested and checked it incredible many times. If you follow the steps exactly as told, following instructions step by step it will work.

Notice that there are no "maybe I don't have to do this" steps in tutorial: you must do everything told in tutorial, exactly as told.

13. johngalt Win User

As have many of us other readers and enthusiasts here. *Smile

johngalt, Nov 16, 2017
  14. Kari Win User
    You got me a bit confused. I have no idea what you are referring to?

15. johngalt Win User
    As have many other readers and enthusiasts who have used this tutorial.

johngalt, Nov 17, 2017
Thema:

1. Create media for automated unattended install of Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Create media automated

2. Correct way to run scripts in automated, unattended Windows installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Correct way to run scripts in automated, unattended Windows installation: I have some custom scripts that I have written to customise Windows 10 such as removing bloatware and setting file explorer options via Registry Editor that I use to apply to all users and/or the system. I have created a `autounattend.xml` Answer File with some simple...
  3. Create Windows 10 installation media from WinPE media

Create Windows 10 installation media from WinPE media: I am currently running Linux on an older non-UEFI system, which recently had Windows 10 installed on it. Originally the PC had Windows 7 installed and was upgraded to 10. I am hoping to bypass the steps of recovering Windows 7 and upgrading, and instead install Windows 10...
  4. Creating installation media

Creating installation media: Hello, I installed window 10 installation media for my pc in another computerwindow 7.Because i reset my pc without creating a bootable usb.But now i am not able to run the installation media in the the window 7 .it tells me to restart and run it again but no change...
  5. Creating installation media

Creating installation media: would creating a installation media of windows 10 and installing windows 10 delete my- 1pre installed apps 2both graphic card-amd,intel 3microsoft office-powerpoint,word etc can it change my digitally activated and licensed windows 10 become unlicensed and unactivate...
  6. Creating bootable unattended ISO..

Creating bootable unattended ISO..: Hi, Is there a proper way to create an unattended bootable ISO (the methods I have tried thus far do NOT work). I have the following ISO files. 1. Windows 10 1903 ISO directly downloaded from Microsoft. 2. Windows ADK for 1903. I only took the auto answer file part from...
  7. Create media for automated unattended install of Windows 10

Create media for automated unattended install of Windows 10: Followed Kari's excellent tut - Create media for automated unattended install of Windows 10 WSIM Getting the following Answer File Validation problem: The setting has not been modified. It will not be saved to the answerfile....
  8. Create media for automated unattended install of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Create media for automated unattended install of Windows 10: Followed Kari's excellent tut - Create media for automated unattended install of Windows 10 WSIM Getting the following Answer File Validation problem: The setting has not been modified. It will not be saved to the answerfile....
  9. Apply unattended answer file to Windows 10 install media

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Apply unattended answer file to Windows 10 install media: How to: Apply unattended answer file to Windows 10 install media [img] Information We have multiple tutorials on Ten Forums about creating a custom Windows install media and automating Windows Setup and OOBE. All those tutorials are intended for advanced users, requiring...
  10. Automated Shortcut Creating

in Windows 10 Support
    Automated Shortcut Creating: Howdy, Right click on Desktop > Personalize > Themes > Desktop Icon Settings > Add This PC... This will make a "This PC" shortcut on desktop, which if you right click on, and choose Properties, will open up "System Details Window" rather than just showing a simple...