Windows 10: Create media for automated unattended install of Windows 10

Discus and support Create media for automated unattended install of Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; As have many other readers and enthusiasts who have used this tutorial. OK, got it now *Smile Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by johngalt, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Kari Win User

Create media for automated unattended install of Windows 10

OK, got it now *Smile

2. falconer Win User

Okay, so I've used the MBR partitioning scheme on the computers that wouldn't take the UEFI partitioning scheme. It works, however, when I go to turn on BitLocker, I get a message saying "You will no longer be able to use Windows Recovery Environment unless it is manually enabled and moved to the system drive."

Also, when I install Windows on this computer without the unattend file, it creates a UEFI partioning scheme... and I don't get this message when enabling BitLocker.

Edit** Nevermind on this point, it appears some of our T550s use UEFI and some use BIOS... but in any case, when I leave the partitioning out of the unattend file, and manually select disk during install, BitLocker works fine. This seems to only happen with the MBR BIOS partitioning scheme.

falconer, Nov 19, 2017
  3. Hi Kari. Thank you so much for the great articles over the years.

I've really enjoyed this article and another article you wrote "Customize Windows 10 Image in Audit Mode with Sysprep"

I have a few questions:

On Step 7 of this article, how much customization can we do here? Is it ok to apply windows updates? Install applications? Tweak settings? IE Favorites? Can we do all the things that were possible like in the previous "Customize Windows 10 Image in Audit Mode with Sysprep" article?

Also, How much of this could I apply to Windows Server 2016? I haven't tried yet, but I'm guessing a lot of this might translate to Server as well since they share the same Windows ADK and SIM applications (I think). My goals are for creating testing environments with Windows 10 and Server 2016, not necessarily to roll into a production environment.

Thanks in advance to Kari or anybody who could help answer these questions.

Customize Windows 10 Image in Audit Mode with SysprepCustomize Windows 10 Image in Audit Mode with SysprepCustomize Windows 10 Image in Audit Mode with Sysprep

UrbanLegend619, Jan 22, 2018
  4. eightbit Win User

I have a question about the hard drive section of this set up. This media I've created using your guides works on any system with two HDD's but I want it to work on some of my systems with only 1 HDD. When I use the media on single drive systems it will error out in the <disk configuration> portion of the autounattend.

Any ideas on how to use the same image on both?

eightbit, Mar 26, 2018
  5. Kari Win User
    Please post your autounattend.xml file here, use the code tags when posting as in following example:

Code:
    Your autounattend.xml file content here

6. eightbit Win User
    Code: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend"> <settings pass="windowsPE"> <component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core-WinPE" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"> <SetupUILanguage> <UILanguage>en-US</UILanguage> </SetupUILanguage> <InputLocale>0409:00000409</InputLocale> <SystemLocale>en-US</SystemLocale> <UILanguage>en-US</UILanguage> <UILanguageFallback>en-US</UILanguageFallback> <UserLocale>en-US</UserLocale> </component> <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"> <DiskConfiguration> <Disk wcm:action="add"> <CreatePartitions> <CreatePartition wcm:action="add"> <Order>1</Order> <Size>450</Size> <Type>Primary</Type> </CreatePartition> <CreatePartition wcm:action="add"> <Order>2</Order> <Size>100</Size> <Type>EFI</Type> </CreatePartition> <CreatePartition wcm:action="add"> <Order>3</Order> <Size>16</Size> <Type>MSR</Type> </CreatePartition> <CreatePartition wcm:action="add"> <Order>4</Order> <Type>Primary</Type> <Extend>false</Extend> <Size>65000</Size> </CreatePartition> <CreatePartition wcm:action="add"> <Order>5</Order> <Extend>true</Extend> <Type>Primary</Type> </CreatePartition> </CreatePartitions> <ModifyPartitions> <ModifyPartition wcm:action="add"> <Format>NTFS</Format> <Label>WinRE</Label> <Order>1</Order> <PartitionID>1</PartitionID> <TypeID>REMOVED</TypeID> </ModifyPartition> <ModifyPartition wcm:action="add"> <Format>FAT32</Format> <Label>System</Label> <Order>2</Order> <PartitionID>2</PartitionID> </ModifyPartition> <ModifyPartition wcm:action="add"> <Order>3</Order> <PartitionID>3</PartitionID> </ModifyPartition> <ModifyPartition wcm:action="add"> <Format>NTFS</Format> <Label>Windows</Label> <Letter>C</Letter> <Order>4</Order> <PartitionID>4</PartitionID> </ModifyPartition> <ModifyPartition wcm:action="add"> <Format>NTFS</Format> <Label>Warehouse</Label> <Letter>D</Letter> <Order>5</Order> <PartitionID>5</PartitionID> </ModifyPartition> </ModifyPartitions> <DiskID>0</DiskID> <WillWipeDisk>true</WillWipeDisk> </Disk> <Disk wcm:action="add"> <DiskID>1</DiskID> <WillWipeDisk>true</WillWipeDisk> <CreatePartitions> <CreatePartition wcm:action="add"> <Extend>true</Extend> <Order>1</Order> <Type>Primary</Type> </CreatePartition> </CreatePartitions> <ModifyPartitions> <ModifyPartition wcm:action="add"> <Format>NTFS</Format> <Label>Database</Label> <Letter>E</Letter> <Order>1</Order> <PartitionID>1</PartitionID> </ModifyPartition> </ModifyPartitions> </Disk> </DiskConfiguration> <ImageInstall> <OSImage> <InstallTo> <DiskID>0</DiskID> <PartitionID>4</PartitionID> </InstallTo> </OSImage> </ImageInstall> <UserData> <ProductKey> <Key>REMOVED</Key> </ProductKey> <AcceptEula>true</AcceptEula> </UserData> </component> </settings> <cpiCreate media for automated unattended install of Windows 10 :eek:fflineImage cpi:source="catalog:c:/iso_files/sources/install_windows 10 pro.clg" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" /> </unattend>[/quote] You can see that I've got it pointing to a disk1 which is what I want but I also want it to ignore disk1 if there isn't one installed. I'm open to suggestions.

eightbit, Mar 26, 2018
  7. Kari Win User
    You can see that I've got it pointing to a disk1 which is what I want but I also want it to ignore disk1 if there isn't one installed. I'm open to suggestions.[/quote] I am sorry but I cannot read your answer file. Please simply open it in Notepad, select everything, copy, and finally paste it here in CODE tags.

That keeps the formatting and makes it easier to read.

8. eightbit Win User

I used notepad++ thinking it'd come over in a sane way. Sorry about that!

I edited the post.

eightbit, Mar 26, 2018
  9. Kari Win User
    Thanks. Give me some time to read it, I will reply when gone it through.

10. Kari Win User
    I cannot find any obvious syntax errors in your file. I will do a test install using your answer file, will reply when done. Notice it will take half an hour or more.

11. Kari Win User
    Call me an idiot if you'd want to, I cannot understand how I could not see this obvious reason in the first place.

Your answer file is told to create UEFI system partitions, Windows partition and an additional data partition called Warehouse on Disk 0, primary hard disk.

In addition, the answer file is told to create a partition called Database on Disk 1, secondary HDD, using its full capacity.

Naturally, if the machine where you use this answer file only has one HDD, installation will fail. Answer file is trying to create partitions on two separate disks when only one disk exists. Impossible.

12. eightbit Win User
    So there is no way to tell my answer file to ignore drive1 if drive1 does not exist?

I did some heavy internet digging and saw an error.cmd or something like that where you can script a response should a critical failure of the install happens. Is it possible for me to script a swap of answer files to one that only deals with drive0?

eightbit, Mar 26, 2018
  13. RBCC Win User

What is compliance check,diagnostics,pagefile,runasyncronous,runsynchronous,upgradedata and

14. RBCC Win User
    What are compliance check,diagnostics,pagefile,runasyncronous,runsycronous,upgradedata in the windowsPE section? What kinds of things would I fill that in with? Also how do I package the drivers so setup can use them?

15. hello123 Win User
    The answer file only does what you have told it to do. Change the InputLocal value both in autounattend.xml and unattend.xml files. For English, the values are as follows:
    • UK English > 0809:00000809, en-GB
    • US English > 0409:00000409, en-US

Kari[/quote] Thank you, this worked! *Smile

hello123, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Create media for automated unattended install of Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Create media automated

2. Correct way to run scripts in automated, unattended Windows installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Correct way to run scripts in automated, unattended Windows installation: I have some custom scripts that I have written to customise Windows 10 such as removing bloatware and setting file explorer options via Registry Editor that I use to apply to all users and/or the system. I have created a `autounattend.xml` Answer File with some simple...
  3. Create Windows 10 installation media from WinPE media

Create Windows 10 installation media from WinPE media: I am currently running Linux on an older non-UEFI system, which recently had Windows 10 installed on it. Originally the PC had Windows 7 installed and was upgraded to 10. I am hoping to bypass the steps of recovering Windows 7 and upgrading, and instead install Windows 10...
  4. Creating installation media

Creating installation media: Hello, I installed window 10 installation media for my pc in another computerwindow 7.Because i reset my pc without creating a bootable usb.But now i am not able to run the installation media in the the window 7 .it tells me to restart and run it again but no change...
  5. Creating installation media

Creating installation media: would creating a installation media of windows 10 and installing windows 10 delete my- 1pre installed apps 2both graphic card-amd,intel 3microsoft office-powerpoint,word etc can it change my digitally activated and licensed windows 10 become unlicensed and unactivate...
  6. Creating bootable unattended ISO..

Creating bootable unattended ISO..: Hi, Is there a proper way to create an unattended bootable ISO (the methods I have tried thus far do NOT work). I have the following ISO files. 1. Windows 10 1903 ISO directly downloaded from Microsoft. 2. Windows ADK for 1903. I only took the auto answer file part from...
  7. Create media for automated unattended install of Windows 10

Create media for automated unattended install of Windows 10: Followed Kari's excellent tut - Create media for automated unattended install of Windows 10 WSIM Getting the following Answer File Validation problem: The setting has not been modified. It will not be saved to the answerfile....
  8. Create media for automated unattended install of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Create media for automated unattended install of Windows 10: Followed Kari's excellent tut - Create media for automated unattended install of Windows 10 WSIM Getting the following Answer File Validation problem: The setting has not been modified. It will not be saved to the answerfile....
  9. Apply unattended answer file to Windows 10 install media

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Apply unattended answer file to Windows 10 install media: How to: Apply unattended answer file to Windows 10 install media [img] Information We have multiple tutorials on Ten Forums about creating a custom Windows install media and automating Windows Setup and OOBE. All those tutorials are intended for advanced users, requiring...
  10. Automated Shortcut Creating

in Windows 10 Support
    Automated Shortcut Creating: Howdy, Right click on Desktop > Personalize > Themes > Desktop Icon Settings > Add This PC... This will make a "This PC" shortcut on desktop, which if you right click on, and choose Properties, will open up "System Details Window" rather than just showing a simple...