Windows 10: Create recovery disk failed big time

Discus and support Create recovery disk failed big time in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Went to create a recovery disk using the windows tool. win 10, latest updates on new computer. The process started and when I came back later, a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by StephenMajoros, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Create recovery disk failed big time

Went to create a recovery disk using the windows tool. win 10, latest updates on new computer. The process started and when I came back later, a

popup window told me the process failed. Not the end of the world but now the USB drive is useless. The 64 GB drive now has a 32 GB partition with

the rest of the drive unallocated. There are a few files on the 32 GB partition that cannot be deleted nor can files be copied to it. Neither chkdsk or diskpart can unlock this partition. Easeus partition manager fails in any process attempted format, delete, etc. error messages tell me the MBR and partition table are locked. Killdisk looks like it is overwriting the partition but it does not appear to be as everything seems as it was before when I go into Easeus . Killdisk may have worked but the system thinks the files are still there.

Loss of a 64 GB USB is not the loss of century but it seems to me there should be a way to fix this drive.

:)

StephenMajoros, Nov 28, 2020

2. Recovery Disks

Hi Ron,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

In order to create a recovery disk, follow the steps below:

• Type “Recovery” in search box and press Enter.
    • Select the option to create a recovery disc and follow the prompts to create a recovery disc.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to
    write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Divya Murugan, Nov 28, 2020
  3. Anusha Win User
    How To: Create recovery partition.

it worked when i copied all the files of the disk to the recovery partition i created, but i had to use WinPE tab to add the entry.

Type: WIM Image (Ramdisk)
    Name: Recovery
    Path: Z:\Sources\boot.wim
    and hit Add Entry
    I tried it in VirtualBox and it worked.
    At first, it would add a second "Windows 7" entry to the list, but when the installation is finished, the old one is deleted. (I formatted only C: partition)

Anusha, Nov 28, 2020
  4. Create recovery disk failed big time

how to create a start-up disk for windows 10 pro

Hi,

To help you create a recovery drive, we suggest that you try to follow the steps found in the article below:

We would also need to ask you if you are trying to create a bootable USB disk for Windows 10.

Let us know so that we can further help.

Marivel Man, Nov 28, 2020
Thema:

Create recovery disk failed big time

1. Create recovery disk failed big time - Similar Threads - Create recovery disk

2. Problems creating a recovery disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems creating a recovery disk: I cant seem to create a recovery disk for my Windows 10 computer.The recovery disk tool opens ok. I tick the box to create a recovery disk, press next, insert a 128GB empty USB stick, my Virus checker tells me it is inserted but the recovery disk tool does not recognise...
  3. Problems creating a recovery disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems creating a recovery disk: I cant seem to create a recovery disk for my Windows 10 computer.The recovery disk tool opens ok. I tick the box to create a recovery disk, press next, insert a 128GB empty USB stick, my Virus checker tells me it is inserted but the recovery disk tool does not recognise...
  4. Problems creating a recovery disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Create Win11 Recovery disk fails and corrupts USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create Win11 Recovery disk fails and corrupts USB: I bought a 5-pack of 64 gig USB thumb drives. Using the "Create and Format disk" tool I created two 30 gig partitions thinking I'd make one a Win 11 recovery and the other a Acronis recovery that's the backup tool I use.On my Win 10 machine it worked well. On my Win 11...
  6. Create Win11 Recovery disk fails and corrupts USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create Win11 Recovery disk fails and corrupts USB: I bought a 5-pack of 64 gig USB thumb drives. Using the "Create and Format disk" tool I created two 30 gig partitions thinking I'd make one a Win 11 recovery and the other a Acronis recovery that's the backup tool I use.On my Win 10 machine it worked well. On my Win 11...
  7. can't create recovery disk

can't create recovery disk: My Dell XPS 13 9300, Win10 Pro x64, five hours out of the carton, all updates installed, fails while writing the recovery disk to a 16GB USB flash drive. "A problem occurred while creating the recovery drive." It also leaves the drive in an odd state with no partition or...
  8. creating a system recovery disk

creating a system recovery disk: Setting up windows backup; if my laptop drive dies, how do I create a disk to begin recovery process? Is cloning a better option? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/creating-a-system-recovery-disk/0e608ccc-c4ed-4b81-90a8-59c2d88208c9
  9. Creating a Windows 10 recovery disk fails

Creating a Windows 10 recovery disk fails: When creating a Windows 10 recovery disk to USB it fails. Searching the Windows 10 forums indicates that this is a known issue with Windows 10. The only alternative is to created a bootable Windows 10 USB which requires the Windows 10 license. This did not come with the PC...
  10. Can't create recovery disk

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't create recovery disk: In create recovery disk with the save system files option. I get "unable to create recovery disk". If create without the system files option it creates ok. Don Cole 113704