Windows 10: Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10

Discus and support Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Hello , and welcome to Ten Forums. If they are all the same versions (32/64-bit) and editions, then you can use the same recovery drive on all of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by whs, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10

Thanks very much. So it depends on the edition? Awesome! So I only need two USB sticks instead of three.

nuk3meister, Jul 30, 2015
  2. Brink
    Brink New Member

It depends on both the edition and version.

Brink, Jul 30, 2015
  3. Gotcha! Cheers.

nuk3meister, Jul 30, 2015
  4. Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10

I was wondering, in case of HDD failure and replacement, how is the licensing been handled when I use the recovery drive that was created on another machine? I upgraded both my laptop and my media server from Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Home. I created a recovery drive from my media server. Let's say I need to replace the HDD in the laptop, how does Windows 10 know that I have a valid license, as we don't get a key and it can't know that the laptop was upgraded.

nuk3meister, Jul 31, 2015
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello nuk3meister,

The activation for the free offer of Windows 10 is registered on the Microsoft activation servers, and is referenced by the hardware (motherboard/CPU/graphics card serial numbers) of the PC it was upgraded on.

Brink, Jul 31, 2015
  6. AbleSugar Win User
    I made a repair disk for 10 yesterday so I tested it to see if it worked. It sort of works but when I boot from it, all of my USB ports shut down right when the "Choose your keyboard layout" screen comes up. As a result, my USB keyboard and mouse don't work.
    Naturally I got rid of my antique keyboards so I cant test if the PS/2 port is also disabled.

After checking all USB ports and pounding on the keyboard (even though the NL light is off indicating it is disconnected) I have to turn off the computer by holding down the power button for six seconds to get out of that screen. For me the Repair Disc is useless.

The USB Recovery Drive I made using Brink's great instructions works just fine.

AbleSugar, Aug 4, 2015
  7. DavidY Win User
    Something I noticed in earlier builds but have come across again in the Released version of Windows 10.

If the Create Recovery Drive process fails, it's worth trying again, without changing anything.

When I tried it last night, it worked on the second try, although I did have an experience with an earlier build where it worked on the third try.

DavidY, Aug 6, 2015
  8. DR3WST3R Win User

Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10

Hi, no matter what i try to create a recovery drive is just fail, ive tried 3 different 1TB drives and 2 SSD drives, i just keep getting
    we cant create the recovery drive a problem occurred while creating the recovery drive
    some times files are written some times not, then message pops up, ive tried 5+ times on all drive, just a no go for me, the further down the line i'm getting Win 10 is breaking more and more

Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10 [​IMG]

DR3WST3R, Aug 7, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 7, 2015
  10. DR3WST3R Win User
    Hi, thanks for reply, just noticed also, every drive (external USB) keeps telling me

so i have to use minitool to delete/convert back to NTFS then i get full drive again, not the bloomin 31.9 of 31.9

DR3WST3R, Aug 7, 2015
  11. Kyhi Win User
    the recovery media is created in Fat32 format - FAT32 only supports up to 32GB drive
    Use a usb stick -

12. DR3WST3R Win User
    thanks for reply, dont have a usb stick big enough, so ive been trying to use media creation tool, alls fine till 75% then thing stops, so i try creating a system image to no avail, been stuck at same spot for last hour, very off here

every thing i try, its just so many problems

DR3WST3R, Aug 7, 2015
  13. DavidY Win User

... but on another computer, I tried several times and it just wouldn't work. I also tried a Reset on the computer and that failed too.

This computer was upgraded through some of the Insider builds, so I'm wondering if that process left something behind that's breaking the Recovery Drive and Reset.

I'm hoping a clean install is the answer.

DavidY, Aug 9, 2015
  14. lx07 Win User
    I just did an in-place upgrade (from 10 Pro to 10 Pro) using the standard ISO. It worked well for me and all my programs (Office etc) were unaffected. You may want to consider trying that first. It fixed a lot of issues upgrading from 7 for me (USB3 not working, mail app not working etc).

At the moment I can only get the Windows 10 USB to boot - not any recovery drive (including Macrium PE).

Run Setup.exe from the ISO - it may help.

15. DavidY Win User
    Thanks for that. I'd already wiped it by the time I read that. *Wink

I think I had previously installed from the 10240 ESD to ISO though (when 10240 was in Insiders only), running Setup on the ISO rather than letting it upgrade automatically, so I'm not sure installing another build 10240 would have improved it.

I can report that after the clean-install, the Recovery Drive created OK though.

DavidY, Aug 9, 2015
Thema:

1. Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Create Recovery Drive

2. Create a recovery drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Create a recovery drive: Warning: Use an empty USB drive because this process will erase any data that's already stored on the drive. can i add OTHER files to the USB after i complete the process or not ? ( W10) 177798
  3. Creating a recovery drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creating a recovery drive: I am not able to create a recovery drive; I always get the error message below. Is there a solution for this? If yes, can a different partition on the hard drive be used as the recovery drive ? [ATTACH]...
  4. Creating recovery drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Creating recovery drive: Hi I would like to create recovery drive for safety. But when tried doing it windows ask me minimum 16gb drive to create recovery Currently i don't have 16 gb, I have only 4gb pendrive Is there anyway we can create this in 4gb? Or can it be done in local drive and save it...
  5. Create a recovery drive

Create a recovery drive: I have been trying to create a recovery drive on 2 Dell laptops. The message I receive at the end is "we can't create the recovery drive" "a problem occurred while creating it." I am using 16gb flash drives. Please help....
  6. Create a recovery drive

Create a recovery drive: Hi, got some problems with my sons computer and need to perform a factory reset. First of course we need to create a recovery drive. However, Windows won't let me. Instead I get this message: "We can't create a recovery drive on this PC. Some required files are missing"...
  7. Create Recovery Drive

Create Recovery Drive: I'm trying to create a recovery drive. I followed all the instructions, but the process doesn't recognize the USB drive I inserted (three different ones). I put the USB in an empty port on the front of my PC. Does it need to go in a special port? Any ideas? Thanks....
  8. create recovery drive

create recovery drive: how to create a recovery drive for re-installing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-recovery-drive/9d3a86bc-671e-443b-971a-06f457768705
  9. will not create a recovery drive

will not create a recovery drive: i run recovery drive, it says will create on usb D: then says cannot create https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-not-create-a-recovery-drive/447d2cce-51c2-47a7-8d7a-a644fbdf73b8
  10. Create recovery drive

Create recovery drive: I am in the process of setting up my desktop following the directions at “How to set up Dell computer” (https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln127699/how-to-set-up-your-new-dell-computer?lang=en) Once the desktop loaded, I attempted to Create Recovery Media using...