Windows 10: Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10

Discus and support Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10 How to Create a Bootable USB Recovery Drive in Windows 10 [img] Information If you run into... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by whs, Feb 16, 2015.

1. WHS
    whs Win User

Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10

How to: Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10

How to Create a Bootable USB Recovery Drive in Windows 10

Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information If you run into problems with your PC, a USB recovery drive can help you troubleshoot and fix those problems, even if Windows won't start.

A reset Windows 10 from the recovery drive.

When users create USB recovery media using the Create a recovery drive utility, the resulting media always contain a bootable copy of Windows RE. This gives users access to troubleshooting and recovery tools when booting from recovery media.

Users can optionally back up files required to perform bare metal recovery. When the option is selected, the following are copied onto the USB recovery media as well:
    • Windows Component Store
    • Installed drivers
    • Backup of preinstalled Windows apps
    • Provisioning packages containing preinstalled customizations (under C:\Recovery\Customizations)
    • Push-button Reset configuration XML and scripts (under C:\Recovery\OEM)
    This tutorial will show you how to create a bootable USB recovery drive that boots to advanced startup options used to help troubleshoot and recover your Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to create a recovery drive.

Note A created 32-bit USB recovery drive can only be created in a 32-bit Windows 10 and used to repair a 32-bit Windows 10.

A created 64-bit USB recovery drive can only be created in a 64-bit Windows 10 and used to repair a 64-bit Windows 10.

If you have Windows booted in Safe Mode, then you will not be able to create a recovery drive.

EXAMPLE: Booting from Recovery Drive to Advanced Startup

(If you checked the Back up system files to the recovery drive box)

Here's How:

1. Do step 2 or step 3 below for how you would like to open Recovery Media Creator.

2. Open your Start menu, type RecoveryDrive.exe in the search box, press Enter, and go to step 4 below.

3. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Recovery icon. Click/tap on the Create a recovery drive link, and go to step 4 below. (see screenshot below)

4. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

5. Check or Uncheck the Back up system files to the recovery drive box for what you want to do, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

Note Back up system files to the recovery drive will require that the USB flash drive is large (at least 32-64 GB) enough for this.

If you chose not to back up system files when you created your recovery drive, Reset this PC and Recover from a drive won't be available in advanced startup -> Troubleshoot.

Some people are getting a We can't create the recovery drive - A problem occurred while creating the recovery drive error message with Back up system files to the recovery drive checked.

If you have this issue, then leaving Back up system files to the recovery drive unchecked should allow it to successfully create a recovery drive.

6. Select the USB flash drive (ex: "E:\ (USB)" ) you want to make a recovery drive, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

Note If the USB flash drive you want to use is not listed, then connect is now.

7. When ready to start, click/tap on Create. (see screenshot below)

Warning Creating a recovery drive will erase anything already stored on your USB flash drive. Use an empty USB flash drive or make sure to transfer any important data from your USB flash drive to another storage device before using it to create a USB recovery drive.

8. The USB recovery drive will now be created. (see screenshots below)

9. When finished, click/tap on Finish. (see screenshot below)

10. Remove the USB flash drive. This is now your Windows 10 recovery drive.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

2. windows 10 pro repair drive

On any computer running Windows 10, use:

to create a recovery drive.

Sumit Dhiman2, Feb 16, 2015
  3. Bonzadog Win User
    Cannot create recovery drive in Windows 10

No information :

Creating a recovery drive

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows-10/create-a-recovery-drive

This point to the beginning of the forums.

Bonzadog, Feb 16, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hey Wolfgang,

Yep, it was the same as 8.1 other than not able to include a copy of the recovery partition yet. *Smile

Brink, Feb 16, 2015
  5. Kyhi Win User
    Maybe even better - because it does not require a recovery image (oem partition)

6. DavidY Win User
    Hmm, using Build 10162 (installed from Official ISO) I find that:
    • On physical hardware, it crashes out saying it can't create the drive. The USB has some files written to it but not enough.
    • On a VM, I never get to stage 6 - the progress bar thing just keeps cycling forever at the Please Wait screen.
    If I don't check the option to backup system files, it seems to work OK (certainly in the VM, can't remember if I tried that on the physical machine), but obviously it isn't saving the whole setup.

Is it just me? Have I done something dumb...? That's more likely on the physical machine, but on the VM I've not done much with it except install some utilities (VLC/Firefox/7Zip/Adobe Reader) and Office 2016 Preview, although I did SysPrep it to save the image.

DavidY, Jul 13, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hey David,

I'm seeing the same in build 10166.

Brink, Jul 13, 2015
  8. DavidY Win User

Thanks for checking Shawn,
    There's some comfort in knowing it's not just me. *Wink

DavidY, Jul 13, 2015
  9. DavidY Win User
    OK I've been doing some more testing with 10240, with more success.

On a physical machine (with Office 2016) it failed twice, but when I went into the Feedback app and tried to Reproduce the error, it didn't crash third time. (It knew it was being watched *Wink ). However this one didn't save the apps I think (see below).

On a virtual machine which has only a few apps installed, it created the Recovery Drive OK. Even better, when I tried to restore it to a completely blank virtual machine, it worked too. (The only 'gotcha' was that a VM of 28GB was deemed too small, but it worked when I increased to 32GB).

The interesting bit is this - it restored the apps I'd installed back on to the recovered machine. I'd installed Firefox and Adobe Reader and a couple of others and these came back. Clearly the option to save a Recovery Drive is trying to save my customised apps, and with some success.

Now it's possible it did this because I earlier tried to save the apps into a Provisioning Package when I set up the VM,
    (using scanstate from the USMT) and hadn't done this on the physical machine.

So as kyhi says, it has the potential to be even better than the old Windows 8.1 version which I'm pretty sure didn't do this?

DavidY, Jul 18, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hopefully, it'll work fully in the next build.

Brink, Jul 18, 2015
  11. Kyhi Win User
    I have not tested on x64 - but had no issue creating recovery drive and (after figuring out the msdn provisioning guide is bogas) a provisioning package on x86

12. Brds7t7 Win User
    Great Tutorial Shawn.
    I also like the fact that they still give the option to create a System Repair Disc too. I skipped Windows 8 so I'm not sure, but wasn't the Repair Disc option removed from 8.1?

Brds7t7, Jul 29, 2015
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Brds,

Yep, the "System Repair Disc" option was removed in 8.1 in favor of just the "Recovery Drive". I would assume that it was because it's harder to boot from a DVD with a UEFI system than USB.

Brink, Jul 29, 2015
  14. I'm upgrading the computers in my house and was wondering if I need to create a recovery drive for each individual machine or if it's enough if I create one recovery USB stick and this will work for all machines?

nuk3meister, Jul 30, 2015
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello nuk3meister, and welcome to Ten Forums.

If they are all the same versions (32/64-bit) and editions, then you can use the same recovery drive on all of them. *Smile

Brink, Jul 30, 2015
Thema:

1. Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Create Recovery Drive

2. Create a recovery drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Create a recovery drive: Warning: Use an empty USB drive because this process will erase any data that's already stored on the drive. can i add OTHER files to the USB after i complete the process or not ? ( W10) 177798
  3. Creating a recovery drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creating a recovery drive: I am not able to create a recovery drive; I always get the error message below. Is there a solution for this? If yes, can a different partition on the hard drive be used as the recovery drive ? [ATTACH]...
  4. Creating recovery drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Creating recovery drive: Hi I would like to create recovery drive for safety. But when tried doing it windows ask me minimum 16gb drive to create recovery Currently i don't have 16 gb, I have only 4gb pendrive Is there anyway we can create this in 4gb? Or can it be done in local drive and save it...
  5. Create a recovery drive

Create a recovery drive: I have been trying to create a recovery drive on 2 Dell laptops. The message I receive at the end is "we can't create the recovery drive" "a problem occurred while creating it." I am using 16gb flash drives. Please help....
  6. Create a recovery drive

Create a recovery drive: Hi, got some problems with my sons computer and need to perform a factory reset. First of course we need to create a recovery drive. However, Windows won't let me. Instead I get this message: "We can't create a recovery drive on this PC. Some required files are missing"...
  7. Create Recovery Drive

Create Recovery Drive: I'm trying to create a recovery drive. I followed all the instructions, but the process doesn't recognize the USB drive I inserted (three different ones). I put the USB in an empty port on the front of my PC. Does it need to go in a special port? Any ideas? Thanks....
  8. create recovery drive

create recovery drive: how to create a recovery drive for re-installing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-recovery-drive/9d3a86bc-671e-443b-971a-06f457768705
  9. will not create a recovery drive

will not create a recovery drive: i run recovery drive, it says will create on usb D: then says cannot create https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-not-create-a-recovery-drive/447d2cce-51c2-47a7-8d7a-a644fbdf73b8
  10. Create recovery drive

Create recovery drive: I am in the process of setting up my desktop following the directions at “How to set up Dell computer” (https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln127699/how-to-set-up-your-new-dell-computer?lang=en) Once the desktop loaded, I attempted to Create Recovery Media using...