Windows 10: Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10

Discus and support Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; I am trying to create a recovery drive for my new installation of Windows 10 The option to proceed ("Next") is greyed out after inserting the USB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by whs, Feb 16, 2015.

1. shoe Win User

Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10

I am trying to create a recovery drive for my new installation of Windows 10
    The option to proceed ("Next") is greyed out after inserting the USB drive despite trying various perfectly suitable drives, (enough volume, correctly formatted etc)
    Looks like they are not detected by the app despite being fully functional in all other respects.

2. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Shoe, *Smile

If the USB flash drives show in "This PC", then see if connecting them before trying to create a recovery drive may have them detected.

If not, then you could also create a Windows 10 installation USB drive that includes the recovery environment as well.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Aug 20, 2015
  3. shoe Win User
    Tried it both ways still grayed out and yes it does show up in this pc

4. shoe Win User

Is the recovery disk the same s the iso I burned to a dvd to install Windows 10?

5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    No. A recovery disk is to only be able to use advanced startup options, and not able to install Windows. If you had an OEM recovery partition that you were able to Back up system files to the recovery drive, then it a recovery drive could also be used to do a factory reset.

A Windows installation USB created from a Windows 10 ISO is able to both install Windows and boot to advanced boot options.

Brink, Aug 20, 2015
  6. DavidY Win User
    Hi Shawn,

I think you can install Windows from the Recovery Drive (as long as you chose the option to include System files when you made it).

I'm sure I did a 'bare metal' install from a Recovery Drive when I was doing my video/ tutorial on Provisioning Packages, and indeed it even asks about how you want to wipe the disk (just delete the old files vs clean the drive fully). I think I also repeated it on real hardware as well as a VM.

Have a look at about 13 minutes into my video. There is an option which comes up within Advanced Startup called 'Recover from a Drive', whose description is 'Reinstalls Windows from the Recovery Drive connected to this PC.'
    [youtube]WV9FR-cxFBg[/youtube] .

In my case I'd made a provisioning package so it also reinstalled Firefox and a couple of other applications for me.*Cool

DavidY, Aug 20, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hey David,

Yes, you can. However, there's been many people that have not been able to successfully create a recovery drive with Back up system files to the recovery drive checked.

Brink, Aug 20, 2015
  8. DavidY Win User

Yeah sadly you can include me on the list of people having problems with that setting. *Sad

However on the occasions when the option to copy System Files does work, I'm pretty sure you don't need an OEM Recovery Partition as suggested earlier.

When I did that video, it was Windows 10 (it may have been an Insider version - I can't remember which) clean-installed into a VM, without any pre-existing OEM software or partitions on the VM. I created the Recovery Drive and due to luck or whatever reason, the option to include System Files worked.

Then I wiped the VM disk clean again, and the Recovery Drive would still re-install Windows.

DavidY, Aug 21, 2015
  9. CmmTch Win User
    Tried to make a recovery USB and get a message show below:

Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10 [​IMG]

I believe this is because I don't have a recovery partition, verified this with Partition Wizard and also disk part. I did create a W10 install iso USB, and am glad to see from this tutorial that will work if I need to boot into advanced startup options.

There may have been a recovery partition at some point but it's gone now. I purchased Win7 Home Premium upgrade disc(s) and upgraded XP Pro (retail) to x64 Win7 Home Premium. That was on an HDD, I've since upgraded it twice to two successive SSD's. Each time I used the "boot from install media" and used a backup image to put Win7 on succeeding SSD's. this may have eliminated my recovery partition.

Thanks Brink for all your work creating these tutorials, they are a huge help, wanted to post in case others get an error message like this. It's a relief knowing having an install W10 iso will essentially do the same thing, I suspected as much, but you never know with a new OS.

CmmTch, Aug 22, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Thank you Steve. *Smile

Brink, Aug 22, 2015
  11. kl25 Win User
    hi all,

i'm having the same issue.

I was actually able to create a recovery drive with system files first time around and selected the option to remove recovery partition to free up disk space. I then purchased a smaller size usb drive and wanted to use that as a recovery drive instead. this is when I am getting the error message.

now my question is, can I simply copy and paste the files from the previous usb recovery drive to this new usb drive? if not, then can I somehow re partition the free disk space on my laptop to a recovery partition, and go from there?

I also downloaded the installation media tool from microsoft's website and apparently that's the same thing as a recovery drive? but I noticed the size of this installation media tool is smaller than the recovery drive.

12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello kl25, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

I'm afraid that copy and paste will not work. I'm not sure how to create a new recovery partition though.

Brink, Aug 26, 2015
  13. kl25 Win User

Thanks! This thread has been quite helpful.

Yea I figured copy and paste won't work since the recovery drive is a boot drive. Perhaps creating a USB image of it, then putting that onto my new USB drive would work.

So what's the difference between the recovery drive and the installation media? Why is one 6gb vs 4gb?

14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    A recovery disk is to only be able to use advanced startup options, and not able to install Windows. If you had an OEM recovery partition that you were able to Back up system files to the recovery drive, then it a recovery drive could also be used to do a factory reset.

A Windows installation USB created from a Windows 10 ISO is able to both install Windows and boot to advanced boot options. The larger size would be from if it was both a 32-bit and 64-bit USB.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Aug 27, 2015
  15. kl25 Win User
    it's actually the recovery with system files that appears to be larger than the windows installation media tool.

so following the link you provided in an earlier reply for creating an installation media tool is good enough to boot and install windows right?

thanks for your help.

Thema:

1. Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Create Recovery Drive

2. Create a recovery drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Create a recovery drive: Warning: Use an empty USB drive because this process will erase any data that's already stored on the drive. can i add OTHER files to the USB after i complete the process or not ? ( W10) 177798
  3. Creating a recovery drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creating a recovery drive: I am not able to create a recovery drive; I always get the error message below. Is there a solution for this? If yes, can a different partition on the hard drive be used as the recovery drive ? [ATTACH]...
  4. Creating recovery drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Creating recovery drive: Hi I would like to create recovery drive for safety. But when tried doing it windows ask me minimum 16gb drive to create recovery Currently i don't have 16 gb, I have only 4gb pendrive Is there anyway we can create this in 4gb? Or can it be done in local drive and save it...
  5. Create a recovery drive

Create a recovery drive: I have been trying to create a recovery drive on 2 Dell laptops. The message I receive at the end is "we can't create the recovery drive" "a problem occurred while creating it." I am using 16gb flash drives. Please help....
  6. Create a recovery drive

Create a recovery drive: Hi, got some problems with my sons computer and need to perform a factory reset. First of course we need to create a recovery drive. However, Windows won't let me. Instead I get this message: "We can't create a recovery drive on this PC. Some required files are missing"...
  7. Create Recovery Drive

Create Recovery Drive: I'm trying to create a recovery drive. I followed all the instructions, but the process doesn't recognize the USB drive I inserted (three different ones). I put the USB in an empty port on the front of my PC. Does it need to go in a special port? Any ideas? Thanks....
  8. create recovery drive

create recovery drive: how to create a recovery drive for re-installing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-recovery-drive/9d3a86bc-671e-443b-971a-06f457768705
  9. will not create a recovery drive

will not create a recovery drive: i run recovery drive, it says will create on usb D: then says cannot create https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-not-create-a-recovery-drive/447d2cce-51c2-47a7-8d7a-a644fbdf73b8
  10. Create recovery drive

Create recovery drive: I am in the process of setting up my desktop following the directions at “How to set up Dell computer” (https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln127699/how-to-set-up-your-new-dell-computer?lang=en) Once the desktop loaded, I attempted to Create Recovery Media using...