Windows 10: Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10

Discus and support Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Mike: OK, fine, and I just downloaded it from that link - URL that you sent me..., and will be reading about it. I'm sure glad I have only 2 months... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by whs, Feb 16, 2015.

1. OldMike65 Win User

Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10

No problem Cliff, its a really powerful program, very surprised to see a program of this quality free. On another note Cliff I have been retired for last 3 years now, after working at same place for 40 years. Enjoy your retirement Cliff!!!!

OldMike65, Sep 3, 2015
  2. acmanten Win User

Thanks so much for all your assistance and pointing me in this direction. I do not know a lot about partitions, and or making them different sizes, so I will learn from this action.

I need to learn more about how you did your closing job to ssd with the Partition Wizard program, and will be checking it out for that info.... Can you do that with the FREE Version of it ?

I am a 39 model and hopefully have several more years to do Win 10 and many other things. All be safe.. Cliff M.

acmanten, Sep 3, 2015
  3. OldMike65 Win User
    Yes the free version will clone drives. at least two ways to clone, 1 have your new HD installed in your computer and working. 2nd option is an external device that you can place your HD into, they use a usb port. Like BlacX 5g box. I call it my pop-up-toaster.
    It just like a toaster, except you put in your ssd or hard drive into it. BUT MAKE A BACKUP of your OS 1st.

OldMike65, Sep 3, 2015
  4. Sonjstar Win User

I have a 16 GB USB drive inserted and I'm trying to make a recovery drive, but my computer tells me that I need a 32 GB to do the recovery. I need help understanding why when 16 should be sufficient for the Recovery Drive.

Sonjstar, Sep 5, 2015
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Sonjstar,

I'm afraid that the required size varies with each system and what's on it. It appears that you have enough to require a 32 GB USB. *Sad

Brink, Sep 5, 2015
  6. JUANNY Win User
    Dumb question here-what advantage if any is there to using the recovery drive with system files backed up to it as opposed to just using a windows 10 iso that can be used for its advanced recovery option and install.I'm kind of amazed as to the size of the recovery drive being greater the windows 10 install iso.Also a heads up i found the best time to create the recovery drive is early on after a fresh install-seems to not fail then

JUANNY, Sep 7, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Juanny, *Smile

If you have an OEM PC with a factory recovery partition, then the include system files would also include this OEM recovery partition on the USB recovery drive.

Brink, Sep 7, 2015
  8. DavidY Win User

A Recovery Drive appears to include the drivers for the machine concerned.

If the drivers aren't ones which Windows 10 finds automatically, this can be useful- eg. I have a tablet (upgraded from Windows 8.1) where the installer doesn't automatically find the touchscreen drivers, but the Recovery Drive has them and can be operated with the touchscreen.

Also, if there isn't an OEM recovery partition, you can save your own software into a provisioning package (ideally when the machine is freshly set up) , and your software will be reinstalled if you install Windows from the Recovery Drive.

DavidY, Sep 7, 2015
  9. JUANNY Win User
    kk I see-so am i correct in assuming that if you are successful in creating the recovery drive with system files backed up then that you should be the medium to use if another fresh install or operating system reset is needed in the future as opposed to using the windows 10 iso.

JUANNY, Sep 8, 2015
  10. DavidY Win User
    If/when it works, a Recovery Drive should be slightly better than an ISO, but there's not much in it.

Personally because of the problems in creating a Recovery Drive, I wouldn't rely on it over the ISO. The ISO is always the same, but the Recovery Drive is individual to each device, so there's more to go wrong.

DavidY, Sep 8, 2015
  11. acmanten Win User
    I may try making a recovery drive tonight, and just see how it works. Thanks Cliff M.

acmanten, Sep 15, 2015
  12. chun96 Win User
    chun96, Oct 3, 2015
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Tan, *Smile

Windows recovery would be included in an installation USB as well.

You just won't have the Back up system files to the recovery drive option like a recovery drive, but this is mostly for OEM factory recovery.

Brink, Oct 3, 2015
  14. acmanten Win User
    I did a Clean Install this past Sunday, and working well now. tks to all. cliff M.

acmanten, Oct 7, 2015
  15. solpuerto Win User
    When I get to Stage 5 and click Next the following is what I get wether or not I click the box. Any help with what problem I have.

Many thanks for any help.

Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10 [​IMG]

solpuerto, Oct 11, 2015
Thema:

1. Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Create Recovery Drive

2. Create a recovery drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Create a recovery drive: Warning: Use an empty USB drive because this process will erase any data that's already stored on the drive. can i add OTHER files to the USB after i complete the process or not ? ( W10) 177798
  3. Creating a recovery drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creating a recovery drive: I am not able to create a recovery drive; I always get the error message below. Is there a solution for this? If yes, can a different partition on the hard drive be used as the recovery drive ? [ATTACH]...
  4. Creating recovery drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Creating recovery drive: Hi I would like to create recovery drive for safety. But when tried doing it windows ask me minimum 16gb drive to create recovery Currently i don't have 16 gb, I have only 4gb pendrive Is there anyway we can create this in 4gb? Or can it be done in local drive and save it...
  5. Create a recovery drive

Create a recovery drive: I have been trying to create a recovery drive on 2 Dell laptops. The message I receive at the end is "we can't create the recovery drive" "a problem occurred while creating it." I am using 16gb flash drives. Please help....
  6. Create a recovery drive

Create a recovery drive: Hi, got some problems with my sons computer and need to perform a factory reset. First of course we need to create a recovery drive. However, Windows won't let me. Instead I get this message: "We can't create a recovery drive on this PC. Some required files are missing"...
  7. Create Recovery Drive

Create Recovery Drive: I'm trying to create a recovery drive. I followed all the instructions, but the process doesn't recognize the USB drive I inserted (three different ones). I put the USB in an empty port on the front of my PC. Does it need to go in a special port? Any ideas? Thanks....
  8. create recovery drive

create recovery drive: how to create a recovery drive for re-installing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-recovery-drive/9d3a86bc-671e-443b-971a-06f457768705
  9. will not create a recovery drive

will not create a recovery drive: i run recovery drive, it says will create on usb D: then says cannot create https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-not-create-a-recovery-drive/447d2cce-51c2-47a7-8d7a-a644fbdf73b8
  10. Create recovery drive

Create recovery drive: I am in the process of setting up my desktop following the directions at “How to set up Dell computer” (https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln127699/how-to-set-up-your-new-dell-computer?lang=en) Once the desktop loaded, I attempted to Create Recovery Media using...