Windows 10: create recovery partition with restore option with Fn key

Discus and support create recovery partition with restore option with Fn key in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Is it possible to create a recovery partition or image on a PC, which could recover the PC using a Fn key during boot up ? I have a PC with a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by reddwarf4ever, Jan 13, 2016.

1. create recovery partition with restore option with Fn key

Is it possible to create a recovery partition or image on a PC, which could recover the PC using a Fn key during boot up ?

I have a PC with a recovery partition which is for vista, which is now obsolete now Imhave moved up to Windows 10 via Windows 7.... never want to recover to vista...

would love over to create my own recovery partition, where pressing e.g. Fn11 during startup invokes the recovery process.....maybe this is too difficult...there is a program called AOMEI OneKey Recovery which promises to do such, or so it looks...

:)

reddwarf4ever, Jan 13, 2016
  2. Di [MSFT] Win User

Recovery partition in Win 8.1 after upgrade to Win 10.0

The Recovery partition can be deleted once the recovery image has been backed up using the inbox utility Recoverydrive.exe.

Control Panel ->Recovery->Create Recovery Drive. Follow the UI to backup the recovery image on a USB key, the last UI will allow an option to delete the recovery partition.

Please note that once this partition is deleted, you will need the backed up recovery USB key if you need to go to the OEM recovery image.

Di [MSFT], Jan 13, 2016
  3. Can hard-drive space used for recovery partitions be reclaimed after upgrade to Windows 10?

Windows 10 on a GPT disk (UEFI boot mode enabled), it does create a EFI, MRS(won't show in Disk Management), Recovery, and C: drive. When you upgrade Windows 8.1 to 10, Windows 10 will create a recovery partition if your system reserved partition (MBR
    disk) or Recovery Partition doesn't have enough disk space. As you know, Windows can only shrink a partition from the right side, so the 450 MB recovery partition is new created, which should not be deleted if you want to use recovery options. You need
    to keep the 450MB recovery partition if you want to use recovery options. the 750MB recovery belongs to previous version of Windows, so it is useless. the 40 MB and 7.91 GB, which allows you to recover your computer to factory default by pressing a specific
    key, was created by system supplier. if you have a Windows 10 installation disc, you can delete both recovery partitions. To see more details, you can read: The
    Recovery Partition After Upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7/8

Youngwarlord, Jan 13, 2016
  4. mrgeek Win User

create recovery partition with restore option with Fn key

Acronis True Image 2016 does this. You enable Startup Recovery Manager and you can hit F11 during the boot process to recover a disc image. Adds about 30 sec to boot process before it defaults to OS startup.

mrgeek, Jan 13, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    Macrium Reflect Free is good for this.

You can install it as a dual boot option, so you do not even need a recovery drive (exceopt if hard disk fails, or is badly corrupted). You just boot PC and select Macrium.

cereberus, Jan 13, 2016
  6. I have acronis true image 2016, didn't realise this as possible, will look for enable recovery manager, must be in options somewhere....does it just need the recovery image, assume no need to make a seperate partition...
    what about AOMEI OneKey Recovery apparently this is freeware, wondered if anyone had tried it....

reddwarf4ever, Jan 13, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    Use Acronis as you have it - far superior to AOMEI.

You should create a usb recovery drive, and make recovery image to an external usb drive (hard drive is best).

cereberus, Jan 13, 2016
  8. mrgeek Win User

See screen cap. Once you activate, next time you start up, black screen will appear giving you options to hit F11 to boot to Acronis Recovery with option to recover image on ext drive, no partitioning needed (worst way to back up is on same disk !). If you do nothing, it will revert to normal Windows start up in 30 secs or if you're testing the Acronis interface, there's an option to exit to normal Windows start up.

create recovery partition with restore option with Fn key [​IMG]

mrgeek, Jan 13, 2016
  9. thank you

reddwarf4ever, Feb 10, 2016
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    I'd tend to caution against these "One Key" recovery systems for these reasons

1) Key is accidentally pressed at Boot -- if the image is an old one then you've wiped a perfectly good machine. Don't say this never happens - I've done it myself in the past by accident and I consider myself reasonably OK with computers -- a complete noob will probably get confused seeing a menu at boot.

2) If (and it sometimes happens) the restore gets hosed up you are stuck with an inoperable machine.

Personally if you need to do a restore it's to my mind much better to stick in a USB containing say Free Macrium or equivalent and restore that way -- you know when you want to restore and don't do it by accident.

Note It's even worse on a laptop since you have to press a key to get the boot menu - and it's EASY to make a mistake and press the wrong key.

YMMV of course --just my view though -- and I learned the hard way.

Incidentally when backing up always have MORE than one image -- I/O devices do get broken (fortunately it's rare but does happen). You can guarantee when you really NEED the restore your single Image will be the one that fails !!!!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. create recovery partition with restore option with Fn key - Similar Threads - create recovery partition

2. Creating a recovery PARTITION NOT USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating a recovery PARTITION NOT USB: My installed system on a new computer, has a 1.73gb partition on the SSD called "recovery Partition", but, the only references/utilities/apps I can find will only create a recovery "drive" on an external USB/disk.What's the go??What's the point of this partition taking up...
  3. How to create a recovery partition?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to create a recovery partition?: Let's say I was able to download the Win10 iso from herehttps://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10I am fully aware that recovery Image and recovery drive is completely different from recovery partition - I want to have my system to gain ability of oem pc to...
  4. Restore recovery partition

Restore recovery partition: I was working on the Disk Management window and saw there were 2 Recovery partitions like the image below with no name. One was 700MB and the other was 500MB. I could not perform any actions to both of them. After doing what I was doing in the disk management using a 3rd...
  5. Restore recovery partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore recovery partition: I was working on the Disk Management window and saw there were 2 Recovery partitions like the image below with no name. One was 700MB and the other was 500MB. I could not perform any actions to both of them. After doing what I was doing in the disk management using a 3rd...
  6. Restore recovery partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Options to recover a RAW recovery partition or create a new one

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Options to recover a RAW recovery partition or create a new one: While helping in another thread this computer had a recent Windows update of version 10 1909. The OS build is now 18363.720. Windows Recovery partition missing from Volume list of Disk Management (the problem may have existed before the windows update) When reagentc /info...
  8. Options to recover a RAW recovery partition or create a new one

in Windows 10 Support
    Options to recover a RAW recovery partition or create a new one: While helping in another thread this computer had a recent Windows update of version 10 1909. The OS build is now 18363.720. Windows Recovery partition missing from Volume list of Disk Management (the problem may have existed before the windows update) When reagentc /info...
  9. Restoring recovery partition

Restoring recovery partition: I have a client who has Windows 10 running in a VM. He set the virtual boot drive size too conservatively, and now the update package for 1903 won't fit in the available space. I successfully added more space to his virtual drive, but when I went to grow the C partition to...
  10. Restoring rights for the Recovery partition?

Restoring rights for the Recovery partition?: HI. I changed the ownership and rights of the recovery partition (Recovery/WindowsRE/*Wim) and after that a pc reset to defaults of my Asus T100chi tablet/laptop failed twice. Now my tablet wont even boot past the Asus splash screen at boot. My question is how I can change...