Windows 10: Create Reset Recovery Image in Windows 10

Discus and support Create Reset Recovery Image in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Hello Scott, Sorry for the confusion. This basically creates a custom reset image that is saved into the "ResetRecoveryImage" folder. You can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by jm44jg39, Jul 22, 2015.

1. scott784 Win User

Create Reset Recovery Image in Windows 10

Hi Shawn,
    Just call me dumb, but this is where my confusion lies. For example, I only have 1 hard physical disc (C drive of course) and I would want to create that small partition on my single physical/internal hard drive to accommodate the "ResetRecoveryImage". How do I create that partition using your example? Your tutorial shows the user going to File Explorer, clicking on My PC and then the FIle option (upper/left corner of screen). But where am I going from there to get this partition going? For example (and for the sake of the example--I can call it F drive too). But this is what confused me. Windows has a built-in Disk Management tool (which I am not too familiar with but know will do disc partitioning)........but I don't know how to create this partition with the saved ISO (using your instruction).

Everything beyond that first step (in your instructions)...... looks easy. I am just stuck on that first task and getting a F drive created on my single physicial/internal drive. Thanks for your help *Wink

scott784, Aug 14, 2015
  2. Brink
    Brink New Member

No problem. The example I used in the tutorial was just a second hard drive (F) that I saved it to.

If you like, you could also save it on your C: drive to help make it easier.

Brink, Aug 14, 2015
  3. scott784 Win User
    Yes, this is what I was thinking/envisioning.....kind of like an OEM hidden partition with a resetrecoveryimage on that single hard drive. But I am guessing I would need to use the disk management tool to create that partition and then basically set up the recovery image on there.

From you comments, I think I now understand you didn't create any kind of virtual F drive, you simply used your second hard drive, which of course has a different letter assignment (F drive in your case). Thanks.

scott784, Aug 14, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

You're welcome.

If you wanted to save it to another partition, then yes you could shrink the C: drive by how much you want to create the new partition with.

Do note, that this is not like a system image. It's only like having your installation media always available instead.

Brink, Aug 14, 2015
  5. scott784 Win User
    Makes sense now Create Reset Recovery Image in Windows 10 :)

scott784, Aug 14, 2015
  6. hey brink I got a question..... if I create a usmt.ppkg will the reset install.wim I copied see it if its in the same folder then reinstall my apps and programs like the create recovery drive option..... reason I ask is when I try the create recovery drive method and select backup system files it fails to create....

icpwolverine, Aug 31, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello icpwolverine, *Smile

I'm don't know if it will, but if you like, you can use the free Macrium Reflect to create a system image with to have handy if needed.

Brink, Aug 31, 2015
  8. chrstdvd Win User

Brink, do I need to follow this tutorial, because I created a USB using the MediaCreationTool X64. I used that one time to verify that it actually works. I assume I can use it again should something happen to the install of Win 10.

Right after I converted from Win 7, I used Control Panel Back UP and Restore to create a back up on my external hard drive along with a bootable system image DVD. I used that DVD to Reset the computer once because Win 10 locked up and I could not use the start button. After I created the the USB I deleted the two folders that were created by the Back UP in Control Panel.

I have no idea what would happen now, if I were to use the DVD. Would it reinstall Windows 10 or does it need those two files that I erased? And if it does work, would it be a clean install, no Windows Old folder?

Finally, I keep all my files, pictures, music, vidieos, and documents on my external hard drive along with the install files for any program I need to reinstall after I do a reset, so I am not worried about recovering my files, but I would like to make something that would recreate what is on my computer now so I would not have to go to the store and get my apps or use the install programs stored on the external. What should I create to accomplish that?

Thanks

chrstdvd, Sep 4, 2015
  9. fredc Win User
    Take my advice with a grain of salt but i have always used the built in "make a system image" tool in Windows 7 and 10 , never failed me .

I downloaded the direct ISO from Brinks tutorial instead of using the media creation tool and it's on a disk . Whenever i want to reinstall, i stick that in the computer and have my bios to boot from the DVD drive , works great , then again i could be completely wrong since i am only a mediocre at best computer user.

fredc, Sep 4, 2015
  10. I'm not a pc geek but I did find the tutorial in the link useful... Provisioning Package - Create in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums its suppose to help restore windows to a day one state meaning the day one state at time of doing the tutorial... give it a look I followed it but haven't fully tested it yet but watch the video on the tut... turn volume up otherwise its hard to hear the guy

icpwolverine, Sep 4, 2015
  11. chrstdvd Win User
    chrstdvd, Sep 4, 2015
  12. chrstdvd Win User
    fredc, Thanks but I think DVD I have is the same thing.

chrstdvd, Sep 4, 2015
  13. fredc Win User

You see, i told you i don't know what i'm talking about .

fredc, Sep 4, 2015
  14. chrstdvd Win User
    You may be right, that is why I asked if that DVD were truely what I think it is.

chrstdvd, Sep 4, 2015
  15. Steve C Win User
    I've just obtained the latest Windows 10 64 bit ISO using the Media Creation Tool.

The sources directory contains a 2.7GB install.esd file but no install.wim file.

How do I get the install.wim file?

Steve C, Dec 5, 2015
Thema:

1. Create Reset Recovery Image in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Create Reset Recovery

2. Create system recovery image from existing system image not created with Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create system recovery image from existing system image not created with Windows: I have a Macintosh with Windows 10 running on Bootcamp that I was trying to upgrade, but unfortunately I accidentally corrupted the macOS Catalina partition while attempting to repartition the hard drive using Windows, which also corrupted the bootloader and rendered both...
  3. Create system recovery image from existing system image not created with Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create system recovery image from existing system image not created with Windows: I have a Macintosh with Windows 10 running on Bootcamp that I was trying to upgrade, but unfortunately I accidentally corrupted the macOS Catalina partition while attempting to repartition the hard drive using Windows, which also corrupted the bootloader and rendered both...
  4. Create system recovery image from existing system image not created with Windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. HowTo Reset Windows With Custom Recovery Image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HowTo Reset Windows With Custom Recovery Image: I need help with resetting Windows 10 using a recovery image. I found a lot of instructions in the web but I think they seems to bee incomplete.I made a system image using the dism command:“dism /Capture-Image /CaptureDir:C:\ /ImageFile:D:\windows10\install.wim...
  6. HowTo Reset Windows With Custom Recovery Image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HowTo Reset Windows With Custom Recovery Image: I need help with resetting Windows 10 using a recovery image. I found a lot of instructions in the web but I think they seems to bee incomplete.I made a system image using the dism command:“dism /Capture-Image /CaptureDir:C:\ /ImageFile:D:\windows10\install.wim...
  7. HowTo Reset Windows With Custom Recovery Image

8. reset using surface recovery image

reset using surface recovery image: Hi everyone,About a week again, I updated my computer Microsoft Surface Pro 5 - Windows 10. After using it for about a day, the Bluetooth stopped working and disappeared. I discovered this when my attached keyboard stopped responding. I disconnected it, cleaned it and...
  9. Find Reset Recovery Image Location in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Find Reset Recovery Image Location in Windows 10: How to: Find Reset Recovery Image Location in Windows 10 How to Find Location of Recovery Image used to Reset Windows 10 [img] Information If you're having problems with Windows 10 on your PC, you can try to refresh, reset, or restore it. When you reset your PC,...
  10. Create Custom Recovery Image in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Custom Recovery Image in Windows 10: How to: Create Custom Recovery Image in Windows 10 How to Create a Custom Recovery Image used to Refresh Windows 10 [img] Warning This tutorial no longer works starting with Windows 10 build 10130 released on May 29th 2015. The "C:\Windows\System32\recimg.exe" file...