Windows 10: Create Reset Recovery Image in Windows 10

Discus and support Create Reset Recovery Image in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Create Reset Recovery Image in Windows 10 How to Create a Recovery Image used to Reset Windows 10 [img] Information If you're having... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by jm44jg39, Jul 22, 2015.

1. jm44jg39 Win User

Create Reset Recovery Image in Windows 10

How to: Create Reset Recovery Image in Windows 10

How to Create a Recovery Image used to Reset Windows 10

Create Reset Recovery Image in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information If you're having problems with Windows 10 on your PC, you can try to refresh, reset, or restore it.

When you reset your PC, it will remove everything and reinstall Windows 10 to start over completely with a clean install.

To be able to reset Windows 10 you may be required to first insert your Windows 10 recovery drive[/b] if there is not an OEM factory recovery image present.

This tutorial will show you how to create a recovery image that is used instead of OEM recovery image, installation media, or recovery drive for a push-button reset of Windows 10.

Note You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to create a reset recovery image.

A reset recovery image is basically like having your installation media always connected and ready to use to reset your PC with.

The reset recovery image will continue to still be available after a reset of Windows 10.

Here's How:

1. In File Explorer, create a new folder named ResetRecoveryImage at a location (ex: F: ) where you want to keep the recovery image stored at. (see screenshot below)

Tip It would be recommended to create the ResetRecoveryImage on a hard drive other than the one Windows is installed on to help protect you in case the Windows hard drive should fail.

2. If you have not already, 32-bit or 64-bit[/b] as your currently installed Windows 10.

3. Double click/tap on the ISO file to mount and open it. Open the sources folder, and copy the install.wim file. (see screenshot below)

4. Paste the install.wim file into the new ResetRecoveryImage folder from step 1 above. (see screenshot below)

5. Open an elevated command prompt.

6. In the elevated command prompt, type the command below, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow reagentc /setosimage /path "location\ResetRecoveryImage" /index 1

Note Substitute location in the command above with the full path of where you created the ResetRecoveryImage folder at in step 1 above.

For example:

reagentc /setosimage /path "F:\ResetRecoveryImage" /index 1

7. When finished, you can close File Explorer and the command prompt if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

jm44jg39, Jul 22, 2015
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, Jul 22, 2015
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Jul 22, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jul 22, 2015
  5. jm44jg39 Win User
    I have been using the Windows Update to get to build 10240. I have a "install.esd" dated 4/30/15 and a "install.wim" dated 5/3/15. I assume that these files are to old to make a 10240 ISO. I that correct? Thanks

jm44jg39, Jul 22, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It won't hurt to create an ISO with them to see what build number it shows for them. *Smile

Brink, Jul 22, 2015
  7. jm44jg39 Win User
    I created the ISO as directed in the tutorial. It created 10074 and not 10240. I guess I will have to wait until 7/29 to do a clean install. Hopefully there will a new latest ISO available from MS. Thanks for your input.

jm44jg39, Jul 22, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

You're welcome. At least it's not long until the 29th. *Smile

Brink, Jul 23, 2015
  9. JJDiebolt Win User
    Hi am new to the forums. Is there any way to create a custom refresh with Win 10 as recimg used to do with Windows 8? I can't access the tutorial in the red box above and I am not sure if that even would help. Thanks, JJ

JJDiebolt, Jul 31, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello JJ, and welcome to Ten Forums.

I'm afraid the recimg command for a custom refresh image has been deprecated in Windows 10, and is no longer available. *Sad

Brink, Jul 31, 2015
  11. JJDiebolt Win User
    Thanks for the response! That is disappointing news however.

JJDiebolt, Jul 31, 2015
  12. davesura Win User
    Hi Brink,

Is there a way to customize the install.wim to have applications and settings come down with a refresh, similar to recimage in Windows 8.1?

davesura, Aug 2, 2015
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Dave, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Sad

Unfortunately, recimage has been deprecated in Windows 10.

If you like, you could create an image backup to be able to restore as needed.

Brink, Aug 3, 2015
  14. scott784 Win User
    Hi Shawn,
    Your instructions for creating this internal image look fairly straight forward. But I am confused about one point. You tutorial appears to highlight My PC (within file explorer) and then the File option at the top/left of the page...before creating the new drive letter (of choice) within one's hard drive. Is this also accomplished from going to Disk Management? In other words, it appears what you are describing is essentially the same thing as a hidden partition on a single physical hard drive (similar to an OEM factory reset image). I am just not entirely clear on getting that first step done as far as assigning the drive letter (such as F drive for the ResetRecoveryImage folder). I would not want to mess things up. Thanks.

scott784, Aug 13, 2015
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Scott,

Sorry for the confusion.

This basically creates a custom reset image that is saved into the "ResetRecoveryImage" folder. You can specify any "location" for where the folder is to be saved at. In the tutorial I just specified to have it saved to my F drive as an example. No need to do anything else special. *Smile

Brink, Aug 13, 2015
Thema:

1. Create Reset Recovery Image in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Create Reset Recovery

2. Create system recovery image from existing system image not created with Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create system recovery image from existing system image not created with Windows: I have a Macintosh with Windows 10 running on Bootcamp that I was trying to upgrade, but unfortunately I accidentally corrupted the macOS Catalina partition while attempting to repartition the hard drive using Windows, which also corrupted the bootloader and rendered both...
  3. Create system recovery image from existing system image not created with Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create system recovery image from existing system image not created with Windows: I have a Macintosh with Windows 10 running on Bootcamp that I was trying to upgrade, but unfortunately I accidentally corrupted the macOS Catalina partition while attempting to repartition the hard drive using Windows, which also corrupted the bootloader and rendered both...
  4. Create system recovery image from existing system image not created with Windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. HowTo Reset Windows With Custom Recovery Image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HowTo Reset Windows With Custom Recovery Image: I need help with resetting Windows 10 using a recovery image. I found a lot of instructions in the web but I think they seems to bee incomplete.I made a system image using the dism command:“dism /Capture-Image /CaptureDir:C:\ /ImageFile:D:\windows10\install.wim...
  6. HowTo Reset Windows With Custom Recovery Image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HowTo Reset Windows With Custom Recovery Image: I need help with resetting Windows 10 using a recovery image. I found a lot of instructions in the web but I think they seems to bee incomplete.I made a system image using the dism command:“dism /Capture-Image /CaptureDir:C:\ /ImageFile:D:\windows10\install.wim...
  7. HowTo Reset Windows With Custom Recovery Image

8. reset using surface recovery image

reset using surface recovery image: Hi everyone,About a week again, I updated my computer Microsoft Surface Pro 5 - Windows 10. After using it for about a day, the Bluetooth stopped working and disappeared. I discovered this when my attached keyboard stopped responding. I disconnected it, cleaned it and...
  9. Find Reset Recovery Image Location in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Find Reset Recovery Image Location in Windows 10: How to: Find Reset Recovery Image Location in Windows 10 How to Find Location of Recovery Image used to Reset Windows 10 [img] Information If you're having problems with Windows 10 on your PC, you can try to refresh, reset, or restore it. When you reset your PC,...
  10. Create Custom Recovery Image in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Custom Recovery Image in Windows 10: How to: Create Custom Recovery Image in Windows 10 How to Create a Custom Recovery Image used to Refresh Windows 10 [img] Warning This tutorial no longer works starting with Windows 10 build 10130 released on May 29th 2015. The "C:\Windows\System32\recimg.exe" file...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. no image registered reset windows