Windows 10: Create restore point fails with VSS error in win10 upgraded from win7

Discus and support Create restore point fails with VSS error in win10 upgraded from win7 in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I upgraded my windows7 PC to windows10 20h2 18.2. However when trying to create restore point for system disk I am getting VSS error 0x80042306.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by plaurits, Feb 23, 2021.

1. plaurits Win User

Create restore point fails with VSS error in win10 upgraded from win7

I upgraded my windows7 PC to windows10 20h2 18.2.
    However when trying to create restore point for system disk I am getting VSS error 0x80042306.
    Following advice from MS I again upgraded PC to windows10 20h2.
    Again upgrade went OK, but still same issue.
    So it seems that VSS, which was working fine when this PC was in windows7, is somehow broke after upgrade to windows10.
    No other backup programs are running.
    Any suggestions?
    Br
    Peter Lauritzen

VSS logs.pdf

:)

plaurits, Feb 23, 2021
  2. rmk9785e Win User

Image backup keeps failing - Can't create restore point

Tried it but it didn't fix my error issue. I see this TAPI2 error in event log every time before VSS error:

Cryptographic Services failed while processing the OnIdentity() call in the System Writer Object.

Details:
    AddLegacyDriverFiles: Unable to back up image of binary Microsoft Link-Layer Discovery Protocol.

System Error:
    Access is denied.

I found this old thread about TAPI error..
    Event ID 513 — Shadow Copy System Writer Functionality
    When I ran the Verify step, with VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS command, System Writer, WMI Writer and MSSearch Service Writer all failed with Time Out error.
    Spoke to Microsoft Tech support again today. They keep telling me that the EFI partition has to be larger than 300MB. First, I didn't create this partition, the system did and I have no control over changing it. If Windows 10 required a larger partition, shouldn't it have fixed it or at least complained when the upgrade was being installed? Why can't they find any Microsoft document that states this requirement?
    As it stands, I do not have the ability to create a Restore Point since this upgrade and Microsoft tech support is of no help.

rmk9785e, Feb 23, 2021
  3. VSS / System Restore Points not working

I tried to run Casper 10 Backup yesterday and it returned errors about VSS timeouts. Since then, I have been trying everything I can think of to get it working, but nothing has worked. Also, in the process, I discovered that although system protection is switched on for my C drive, if I try to create a restore point, the create dialogue just stays on screen but nothing else happens (I eventually have to use Task Manager to shut it down). Also, VSS says that it is running in the services list, as are the two other services it depends on. This is what I have tried so far:-

1. Running repairs using the tweaking.com repair tool.
    2. Using DISM.
    3. Tried a different disc image backup program (Active Disk Image) - that also fails.
    4. Tried running a backup in safe mode - that also fails.
    5. Tried running with a clean boot - that also fails.
    6. Tried switching off and on system protection - restore point still fails to create.
    7. Tried turning off my (Webroot) antivirus - backup still fails, as does restore point creation.
    I don't know whether this is just a coincidence or not, but I only noticed these problems after trying the new Acronis True Image 2017 program (but that was backing up to the cloud, so maybe that's why that didn't throw up any errors). I don't know what else to try.

TheLyppardMan, Feb 23, 2021
  4. dalchina Win User

Failed to Create Volume Snapshot Macrium Error 0x8004230f VSS Error

Hi, you might try this:
    Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy (VSS) Troubleshooting - Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy (VSS) Troubleshooting

or the free cautious repair tool
    Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Free/Pro
    - observing the steps and using only the relevant repairs

More:
    How to Fix VSS Errors Step-by-Step

Otherwise I suggest- assuming your disk and file system are sound-
    an in-place upgrade repair install which keeps all progs, data and most settings

You need an iso of the same base language and build- freely downloadable.

dalchina, Feb 23, 2021
Thema:

1. Create restore point fails with VSS error in win10 upgraded from win7 - Similar Threads - Create restore point

2. Cannot clone or image drives, or create restore points Volsnap and VSS errors

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot clone or image drives, or create restore points Volsnap and VSS errors: Hello all, after days of doing research and what seems like countless attempts to fix I'm at a complete loss. I wanted to update my hard drive from a SATA ssd to a M.2 so I have both drives installed booting to the SATA drive. I initially tried to use Macrium Reflect to Clone...
  3. Cannot clone or image drives, or create restore points Volsnap and VSS errors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot clone or image drives, or create restore points Volsnap and VSS errors: Hello all, after days of doing research and what seems like countless attempts to fix I'm at a complete loss. I wanted to update my hard drive from a SATA ssd to a M.2 so I have both drives installed booting to the SATA drive. I initially tried to use Macrium Reflect to Clone...
  4. Cannot clone or image drives, or create restore points Volsnap and VSS errors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Upgrade from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro fails

Upgrade from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro fails: Hi,I have a Dell Precision T3600 workstation running Win7 Pro. I bought a copy of Win10 Professional from the Microsoft store. But the update fails with error code: 0xC1900101 - 0x20017I have removed unnecessary software. I have checked that all my drivers are up to date in...
  6. Upgrade from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro fails

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro fails: Hi,I have a Dell Precision T3600 workstation running Win7 Pro. I bought a copy of Win10 Professional from the Microsoft store. But the update fails with error code: 0xC1900101 - 0x20017I have removed unnecessary software. I have checked that all my drivers are up to date in...
  7. Upgrade from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro fails

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Create restore point fails with VSS error code 0x80042306 in window10 20h2 after upgrade...

Create restore point fails with VSS error code 0x80042306 in window10 20h2 after upgrade...: [ATTACH] I upgradedmy windows7 PC to windows10 20h2 18.2. Howeverwhen trying to create restore point for system disk I am getting VSS error0x80042306. Followingadvice from MS I again upgraded PC to windows10 20h2. Again upgradewent OK, but still same issue. So it...
  9. Win10 inline upgrade from Win7 failed with Error: 0xD000000D

Win10 inline upgrade from Win7 failed with Error: 0xD000000D: I have run the following to no avail: - Windows troubleshooter - chkdsk /f - sfc /scannow Please help [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win10-inline-upgrade-from-win7-failed-with-error/7583b591-c62e-41b7-a31f-dac37363e2c2
  10. upgrading from win7 to win10

upgrading from win7 to win10: I can't find HP ProtectTools Device Access Manager to uninstall. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-from-win7-to-win10/f289a046-d68b-471b-8f6f-de8ed5ccafa6