Windows 10: Create shortcut by dragging the link from the address bar

Discus and support Create shortcut by dragging the link from the address bar in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Why in the hell did windows do away with this feature? Instead of a folder there is an icon of a monitor. I am unable to click on the monitor and drag... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by MichaelWGooch, Sep 29, 2023.

1. Create shortcut by dragging the link from the address bar

Why in the hell did windows do away with this feature? Instead of a folder there is an icon of a monitor. I am unable to click on the monitor and drag it into the contents of the folder to create a shortcut.

:)

MichaelWGooch, Sep 29, 2023

2. Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Sep 29, 2023
  3. Desktop Shortcut Icons

I tried using Edge that comes with the computer and I can see the logo you are talking about. When I try to drag it to the desktop you can see that I have it but as soon as I drop it the window opens rather than putting the shortcut icon on the desktop.

mik-dav 1500, Sep 29, 2023
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Create shortcut by dragging the link from the address bar

Shortcut Problems

Try this for creating a new shortcut on your desktop:

• Go to a chosen website, click into the address bar - the whole address should be highlighted
    • Click and drag onto your desktop
    • Then you can rename the shortcut appropriately

DaveM121, Sep 29, 2023
Thema:

Create shortcut by dragging the link from the address bar

1. Create shortcut by dragging the link from the address bar - Similar Threads - Create shortcut dragging

2. File drag and drop in address bar broken?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File drag and drop in address bar broken?: Yup. I am reposting this because this exact thing just made me think I was going crazy... I noticed I am not the only sane person here who used this feature frequently. Seeing the Microsoft reps response, I felt the need to repost this because the only person who could do...
  3. File drag and drop in address bar broken?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File drag and drop in address bar broken?: Yup. I am reposting this because this exact thing just made me think I was going crazy... I noticed I am not the only sane person here who used this feature frequently. Seeing the Microsoft reps response, I felt the need to repost this because the only person who could do...
  4. Can't Drag Links from the Address Bar to Quick Links

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Drag Links from the Address Bar to Quick Links: Microsoft continues to try and be the worst OS, year after year.I know we won't go back to the glory days of Windows 7, M/S grew tired of trying to innovate and make a great operating system and instead tried to please as many people possible with.. what we've had since...
  5. Can't Drag Links from the Address Bar to Quick Links

Can't Drag Links from the Address Bar to Quick Links: Microsoft continues to try and be the worst OS, year after year.I know we won't go back to the glory days of Windows 7, M/S grew tired of trying to innovate and make a great operating system and instead tried to please as many people possible with.. what we've had since...
  6. Need to use drag and drop feature in address bar

Need to use drag and drop feature in address bar: I need the drag and drop feature in address bar. If you search your own website, you will learn many need this feature too and no one seems happy with this change. How is this change even remotely helpful for anyone? It kills productivity and makes folder management even...
  7. Need to use drag and drop feature in address bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to use drag and drop feature in address bar: I need the drag and drop feature in address bar. If you search your own website, you will learn many need this feature too and no one seems happy with this change. How is this change even remotely helpful for anyone? It kills productivity and makes folder management even...
  8. Create shortcut by dragging the link from the address bar

Create shortcut by dragging the link from the address bar: Why in the hell did windows do away with this feature? Instead of a folder there is an icon of a monitor. I am unable to click on the monitor and drag it into the contents of the folder to create a shortcut....
  9. When dragging items to a folder, it just creates a shortcut.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    When dragging items to a folder, it just creates a shortcut.: I am not sure if this is really intended or not. But its probably not since I know the basics of a Graphical User Interface. I would just like to ask a question, whenever I drag items (specifically an executable) to a folder, it just creates a shortcut. The executable...
  10. Cannot create pinned site shortcut from address bar

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot create pinned site shortcut from address bar: This inability to pin a url to the desktop started 4 days ago. What I have done so far. Ran sfc/scannow 4 times, scanned with Norton Security and Malwarebytes and searched in vain on the web. I called Microsoft and they did a remote connection and Would not research the...