Windows 10: Create Shortcut on context menu

Discus and support Create Shortcut on context menu in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Is there a way to take "Desktop - Create Shortcut" from the send to menu and put it on the top menu? 96298 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by kitpzyxmsir, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Create Shortcut on context menu

Is there a way to take "Desktop - Create Shortcut" from the send to menu and put it on the top menu?

:)

kitpzyxmsir, Oct 23, 2017
  2. Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Oct 23, 2017
  3. KisSkunk Win User
    Windows 10 Desktop Shortcut from Search Menu

How to create desktop shortcuts from Windows 10 search menu? When I click on search (next to Start menu button) and I find the application, I have to "Open file location" and then locate the file and then right click and send to desktop create a shortcut.
    How to put this last step into the Search menu right click context, to avoid wasting 1,5 hours with nonsense clicking and locating.

KisSkunk, Oct 23, 2017
  4. Create Shortcut on context menu

If you press Shift key while right clicking file or folder the Send to context menu will list lot more locations for you to send the selected item.

FreeBooter, Oct 23, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hi, you can't do that as such- that Sendto function is built into Windows.

You can however explore adding your custom entry to the context menu.

I have attached an exe file (zipped) which creates a shortcut at %userprofile%\Desktop

Please read through this post which shows you how this is done and how to add it to your context menu. (Note- Right click configurator is not free- needs to be run as admin - you could use the trial I think - else use e.g. ContextEdit (free, old) or cautiously edit the registry yourself.
    Add PsExec to Windows 10 Context Menu Solved - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums

Here's the Autohotkey code

FileCreateShortcut, "%1%", %userprofile%\Desktop\test.lnk,
    exit

Put that in a text file, rename to .AHK, download and install Autohotkey and you can rt click it and compile it.

Here you can see the context entry I created using Right click configurator:

Create Shortcut on context menu [​IMG]

Limitation: I relocated my desktop, and the above uses the Window default desktop location. Presently I don't know how to access the relocated desktop using an environmental variable.

Caveat- I haven't tested this thoroughly- you can play with it. See the Autohotkey help file on the command.

dalchina, Oct 25, 2017
  6. topgundcp Win User
    Items in SendTo is in %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo and sorted in alphabetical order, so if you want to move "Desktop" to the top, Rename and prefix with an "_" or any other Symbol.

Create Shortcut on context menu [​IMG]

It is easier just to right click and hold on a file/folder then drag and drop to Desktop.

topgundcp, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Create Shortcut on context menu

1. Create Shortcut on context menu - Similar Threads - Create Shortcut context

2. Shortcut missing from the right-click context menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shortcut missing from the right-click context menu: Hi,When I right click on my mouse, I do not see add to the "short-cut" option in the context menu, unless I am on the laptop screen itself, in which case it is under "new" option on the context menu. In addition, I want to add "sniping tool" and calculator to the context...
  3. Anomalous context menu in all taskbar shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    Anomalous context menu in all taskbar shortcuts: The context menu contains only - unpin - close (if referenced program is running). Formerly the menu contained also the name, whose submenu contained - properties - run as admin. 171532
  4. Onedrive - Create a link when there's no context menu

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Onedrive - Create a link when there's no context menu: Hi, I want to share a 56 MB file with a friend using Onedrive. I add to 'shared favourites' on Onedrive and then right click, however the context menu simply has 'share' as an option which displays a dialogue where you can choose an email address and it will then send an...
  5. Menu to create new file is gone from context menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Menu to create new file is gone from context menu: Hi, for whatever reason I am only able to create a new folder / shortcut and not a new file. Any idea how I might get the normal "new" menu back? [img] OS Version: 2004 OS Build 19041.208 155787
  6. Context Menu Doesn't Show Create New?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Context Menu Doesn't Show Create New?: [ATTACH] Self explanatory, recently reset PC and no option to create new folders etc. Any fix for this? Recently poked around in the registry because I had an issue where the context menu didn't even appear, I may have deleted something. Please halp. Upon right click...
  7. Removing 'Cut' and 'Create shortcut' from context menus

in Windows 10 Customization
    Removing 'Cut' and 'Create shortcut' from context menus: Does anybody know how, if it's eve possible, to remove 'Cut' and 'Create shortcut' from the context menu for files and folders?! TIA! 36836
  8. Creating a new entry in the context menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Creating a new entry in the context menu: Hello from Germany. Is it possible to create a new entry in the context menu in "new"? I often need an empty paint-pic. For example: [img] Thank you. 39917
  9. How to create shortcuts for start menu?

in Browsers and Email
    How to create shortcuts for start menu?: I am at my wits end with this issue: I started to populate my start menu with shortcuts (tiles) for things like google finance, flagler live news, etc..all websites by hitting "pin to start" in the new edge browser. I have now made Opera my default browser, so now I...
  10. New shortcut directly on context menu

in Windows 10 Support
    New shortcut directly on context menu: OK, it's on the New submenu. But I'd like to have it right on the main context menu, ready to click. Or maybe a separate shortcut for NewShortcut? 84207