Windows 10: Create shortcut to open website in Edge when IE is default webbrower

Discus and support Create shortcut to open website in Edge when IE is default webbrower in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hello everybody, Because of a lot of legacy websites which only support Internet Explorer, IE is still the default browser on all of our machines.... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by SomeoneNamedJoe, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Create shortcut to open website in Edge when IE is default webbrower

Hello everybody,

Because of a lot of legacy websites which only support Internet Explorer, IE is still the default browser on all of our machines. However, I need to add a shortcut on the deskop of a few users to a website which only supports Edge.

So far, I've found two ways of creating a shortcut which opens in Edge. The first is
    Code: microsoft-edge:http://www.superuser.com[/quote] but this first opens Internet Explorer, which asks the user if he/she wants to open an app which opens the website in question. It works, but is confusing and ugly the way it works. The second is
    Code: %windir%\explorer.exe microsoft-edge:http://www.superuser.com[/quote] This opens Edge directly, but shows an Explorer icon as icon (and it's a real nuissance to change the icon for each and every shortcut).

In short: is there a way to have a website open in Edge when Internet Explorer is the default web browser?

Thanks!

PS: other browsers are not an option, unfortunately. The older websites only work in IE, and the new one only in Edge.

:)

SomeoneNamedJoe, Jun 4, 2019

2. Create desktop shortcuts to websites with Edge

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. We will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Open a webpage in Microsoft Edge.
    • Click the three dots at top right corner.
    • Choose Open with Internet Explorer.
    • Right Click and click on create shortcut.
    • The shortcut shall open in Microsoft Edge, if it is your default browser.

Hope it helps. Do let us know if your issue is resolved. For any further assistance, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Jun 4, 2019
  3. SaraTee Win User
    Create desktop shortcuts to websites with Edge

If I'm shopping away in IE and create a shortcut to that webpage on the desktop from IE, if I haven't cleared my cache, it remembers the stuff in my cart for the IE shortcut (for as long as the cookie is good, not just a shopping cart but other similar pages).
    I can't do this in Edge unless I create a Favorite for it IN Edge. Then there is no nice quick link from my desktop, I have to open Edge and select the Favorite. Used this many times with IE desktop links when Black Friday shopping.

Point is it's annoying because Microsoft wants Edge to be the default browser but then the Microsoft employee on here responds with the suggestion to send it to IE to create a Desktop shortcut. I'm using Edge on my Android phone and I can send a shortcut
    for a webpage to the Android Launcher - but I can't do the same with Edge on my Windows 10 computer?

It is a very basic task that should not require multiple steps of opening another application to create a desktop shortcut is the point I think of the OP.

SaraTee, Jun 4, 2019
  4. Create shortcut to open website in Edge when IE is default webbrower

Creating Desktop Shortcut To Website When Using MS Edge

I'm with you on this one!
    So far the only way I have found is to add the page to a reading list by clicking the Star at top right, selecting Reading List and then Add.
    It's not ideal but it's better than nothing.

Another roundabout way is:
    While viewing your wepage in Edge,

Click the three dots at top right
    Choose Open with Internet Explorer

Now you can create your shortcut as you were used to. The shortcut will open in Edge if that's your default browser.

PeterAstle, Jun 4, 2019
Thema:

Create shortcut to open website in Edge when IE is default webbrower

1. Create shortcut to open website in Edge when IE is default webbrower - Similar Threads - Create shortcut open

2. Wrong Icon shows after creating desktop shortcut to websites with Edge.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Wrong Icon shows after creating desktop shortcut to websites with Edge.: Create a desktop shortcut to websites with Edge as follows: 1. %windir%\explorer.exe microsoft-edge:website path 2. Specify the website icon. But the icon of "Explorer" in Task Manager becomes the icon of the website....
  3. Can't create website shortcut.

in Browsers and Email
    Can't create website shortcut.: As the title says, I can't create a shortcut to a web site, mine actually. I can create one for other sites, but not for mine. Why is that? 151732
  4. Hyperlinks in Office will not open when Chrome is set as default but will open when IE is...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hyperlinks in Office will not open when Chrome is set as default but will open when IE is...: Has anyone resolved this issue where Hyperlinks in Office products such as PowerPoint and Outlook won't open when Chrome is set as default but will open when IE is set as default? submitted by /u/sunfrogz [link] [comments]...
  5. Create shortcut to open website in Edge when IE is default webbrower

in Windows 10 Support
    Create shortcut to open website in Edge when IE is default webbrower: Hello everybody, Because of a lot of legacy websites which only support Internet Explorer, IE is still the default browser on all of our machines. However, I need to add a shortcut on the deskop of a few users to a website which only supports Edge. So far, I've found two...
  6. Create Website Shortcut in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Website Shortcut in Windows: How to: Create Website Shortcut in Windows How to Create Website Shortcut in Windows This tutorial will show you different ways to create a website shortcut that will open in a web browser of your choice in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10. CONTENTS: Option...
  7. Edge is default but things open in IE

in Browsers and Email
    Edge is default but things open in IE: Hi. I'm using W10 and have Edge as the default browser (I also use Chrome and Firefox). Some programs are automatically opening in Internet Explorer such as when I open Google+ photos or when software updates and shows what has changed on its website. Any ideas how to change...
  8. Creating Desktop Shortcut To Website When Using MS Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Creating Desktop Shortcut To Website When Using MS Edge: When using any version of IE Explorer, when viewing a webpage and want to create a desktop shortcut to that webpage I would simply right click just about anywhere on the webpage and select Create Desktop Shortcut from the drop-down Menu and Presto a new icon shortcut would...
  9. Creating shortcuts for Edge and Opera

in Browsers and Email
    Creating shortcuts for Edge and Opera: I'm trying to create some shortcuts to my browsers on my new Windows 10 64bit PC, but I'm stuck on a couple issues: - How can I create a private browsing shortcut for Opera? It's easy to do this for Firefox and Chrome - but I can't figure out how to do it for Opera. -...
  10. When pinning a website to taskbar in Edge why is it coming up in IE?

in Browsers and Email
    When pinning a website to taskbar in Edge why is it coming up in IE?: Hello everyone, First post here and thanks for allowing me to be a part of the community! My first question is while attempting to pin a website to the task bar in Edge I followed the directions and selected the "3 dots menu" and then selected "open with IE" option as...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. shortcut to open in internet explorer 64bit

2. shortcut to open webpage in edge when it is not default browser

3. create shortcut to open a website in edge while default is chrome