Windows 10: Create Sleep Shortcut For Modern Standby PC

Discus and support Create Sleep Shortcut For Modern Standby PC in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Greetings, I am wondering if anyone knows how to create a sleep shortcut for a PC on 20H2 in modern standby. The old S3 shortcut and variants do not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by colsearle, May 4, 2021.

1. colsearle Win User

Create Sleep Shortcut For Modern Standby PC

Greetings, I am wondering if anyone knows how to create a sleep shortcut for a PC on 20H2 in modern standby. The old S3 shortcut and variants do not work with modern standby. rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0 etc I'm aware of the PlatformAoAcOverride key to switch back to S3 but I had wake issues. The only thing I'm lacking is a sleep shortcut. Can the "Actual" Sleep in the power menu not be recreated or a shortcut be made ? Thanks

:)

colsearle, May 4, 2021
  2. colsearle Win User

Greetings,

I am wondering if anyone knows how to create a sleep shortcut for a PC on 20H2 in modern standby.

The old S3 shortcut and variants do not work with modern standby.
    rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0 etc

I'm aware of the PlatformAoAcOverride key to switch back to S3 but I had wake issues.

The only thing I'm lacking is a sleep shortcut. Can the "Actual" Sleep in the power menu not be recreated or a shortcut be made ?

Thanks

colsearle, May 4, 2021
  3. Try3 Win User

No.

You cannot create the ability to S3 sleep if your computer does not support S3 sleep. If that Registry hack to suppress S0 Modern standby gives you unfortunate side-effects*** then you cannot use S3 at all.*** With my only S0 Modern standby computer, I had network problems after using that hack so I also had to undo the change and live with the S0 Modern standby curse. I think S0 Modern standby was created for the sole purpose of upsetting users.
    The closest you are going to get is a hibernate shortcut
    Code:
    As you probably already know, you can run
    Code:
    to check which sleep states are supported on your computer.

Denis

Try3, May 4, 2021
  4. t0yz Win User

Can't enable Modern Standby

You need an exclusively UEFI PC (without Legacy support) for Modern/Connected, at least it's what I've heard. I guess if that Z390 doesn't have it, I am not really expecting any consumer desktops to implement it, I assume it would require manufacturers to kinda rewrite their BIOS. It is also indirectly suggested on Anandtech that the feature depends on the onboard WiFi:

Personally I love my Ethernet cables and 1Gbit speeds, and WiFi would be the last thing I'd do to my PC, but I would like to test this feature when I buy a new PC, since Z370 is clearly out of question. Considering that Z390 basically has onboard WiFi and Z370 doesn't , it further solidifies this as a potential WiFi only feature. Maybe it's possible for the PC to switch to WiFi for Connected Standby and then back to wire after it wakes up? That would be nice.

Edit: there's also this:
    "Modern Standby is only available on some SoC systems. When it's supported, the system does not support S1-S3."

Yeah... S3 is the "normal" standby. So if your firmware manufacturer supports that, it's bye-bye Modern? Ouch.

t0yz, May 4, 2021
Thema:

1. Create Sleep Shortcut For Modern Standby PC - Similar Threads - Create Sleep Shortcut

2. windows 11 modern standby

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 modern standby: HiWe are working on scheduled recordings using modern standby on regular desktop Windows 11PC with live TV Tuners. We use UWP notifications to wake from S0i3. The problem is that sometimes Windows wakes up and goes back to sleep in 30 seconds so our scheduled recordings are...
  3. windows 11 modern standby

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11 modern standby: HiWe are working on scheduled recordings using modern standby on regular desktop Windows 11PC with live TV Tuners. We use UWP notifications to wake from S0i3. The problem is that sometimes Windows wakes up and goes back to sleep in 30 seconds so our scheduled recordings are...
  4. Windows Modern Standby - Sleep report

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Modern Standby - Sleep report: Hi,I've disabled on one of the laptops all possible sleep settings that it can be. Laptop still goes into sleep at a random times when lid is closed.Sleep report shows ENTER REASON0x101 Transition To SleepWhat is that code or how to find out reason why laptop enters sleep.If...
  5. Excessive battery drain during S0 sleep (modern standby)

Excessive battery drain during S0 sleep (modern standby): For my Lenovo X1 Yoga 3rd Gen (Win 10 20H2 Build 19042.928) I have had issues using hibernation. About 30% of the time, the WiFi device will not work when resuming from hibernation. The device will not even appear in device manager. A reboot is required to make it appear and...
  6. How to make secondary HDD go to sleep in modern standby

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to make secondary HDD go to sleep in modern standby: Windows 2004 removed the ability to use S3 instead of S0 low power idle. My pc dell g5 5590 has a primary nvme SSD os and a secondary sata HDD data configured to "raid on" on the bios ahci option is available. When it goes to sleep the HDD keeps spinning, which I don't like,...
  7. How to make secondary HDD go to sleep in modern standby

How to make secondary HDD go to sleep in modern standby: Windows 2004 removed the ability to use S3 instead of S0 low power idle. My pc dell g5 5590 has a primary nvme SSD os and a secondary sata HDD data configured to "raid on" on the bios acpi option is available. When it goes to sleep the HDD keeps spinning, which I don't like,...
  8. modern standby problems entering to sleep

modern standby problems entering to sleep: Laptop Dell XPS 7590 Windows 10 2004build. I press the power button, laptop starts going to sleep, then if i was lucky enough when i close the lid after some time laptop stops responding to ping. But in most cases laptop just not going to sleep at all. Then if i look to...
  9. Does modern standby prohibit require password when PC wakes on sleep?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Does modern standby prohibit require password when PC wakes on sleep?: Long time reader, first time poster. :) I recently acquired a new laptop, my first one that supports modern standby (S0 low power idle). It appears there are a number of subtle differences compared to the S3 sleep state I've become accustomed to. In the Windows 10 Sign-in...
  10. No option for "disconnected standby" anymore on modern standby device

No option for "disconnected standby" anymore on modern standby device: I can't find any information about this, but did MS, for whatever reason, remove the toggle option on the WiFi settings to turn off WiFi during modern standby? The option isn't available anymore for my laptop. I am speaking about this option: https://i.imgur.com/jD6odQx.png...