Windows 10: Create space on Tiny 32Gb disk for win10 upgrade

Discus and support Create space on Tiny 32Gb disk for win10 upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I have a small Asus EeeBook with a 32Gb "disk" (only 28Gb useable due to the factory recovery partition). It is minimal install - just a few... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by autoq, Aug 18, 2019.

1. autoq Win User

Create space on Tiny 32Gb disk for win10 upgrade

So I have a small Asus EeeBook with a 32Gb "disk" (only 28Gb useable due to the factory recovery partition).
    It is minimal install - just a few browsers and Minimum Office install (word/excel only), a PDF viewer and some music. There are two users set up. That's it.
    I have 5.5Gb free. I have 2 Gb of RAM and the page file is typically 2-3gb . I am presently running Win 10 1803 quite fine. I would like to update to 1903. But it says it needs 8Gb free. *Rolleyes
    Obvously I have done all of the official Disk cleanup steps - I do this regularly anyway to try to keep the free space which I already have. I have also temporailiry turned of the wuauserv and bits services and delete the associated softwaredistribution folders ,etc,etc).

I guess could create the install media on another machine ( and then install from a USB SSD ) but will that still give me the free-space error ?
    Option 1:
    Delete WinSxs ( about 3Gb) . Normally I would never do this, but am wondering if I would get away with it as I am about to do an Update ?
    i.e. is removing the WinSxs (or the windows/Installer folder) ok immediately before an upgrade )
    Option 2:
    Switch off paging - this would give me just enough space but am thinking that my PC might just stop with an out of memory error
    Option 3 : Do a fresh install instead of an upgrade, but then I would need to recreate the users/re-ins tall apps/browsers/restore bookmarks/passwords ,etc ,etc...
    Option 4:
    Don't bother doing anything just now and just do a full install a few years from now... *Think

Anybody done anything similar. I can't be the only one with this issue. I have already searched around and most people are asking about general issues with space, I am really more interested in specific update tricks/tips (especially Option 1 which is my favoured one at the moment... worst case is I then have to a clean install )?
    Thanks in advance to anyone one who has the time/knowledge/experience to respond to this *Cool

:)

autoq, Aug 18, 2019
  2. mrmet80 Win User

unable to upgrade win10 due to insufficient disk space

McAfee (and Norton) applications are notorious for not uninstalling (or upgrading) cleanly. The "leftovers" may be playing a role here, too.

That being said...

<QP>

You'll need at least 8 GB of free space to upgrade to Windows 10. If your PC doesn't have enough space, here are a few things you can try:

• Remove files or apps you no longer need.
    • Use Disk Cleanup to free up space.
    • Attach an external drive with enough free space to continue with the upgrade. Make sure to keep this external drive in a safe place after the upgrade, in case you need it for recovery options.

</QP>

Source:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12426/windows-10-help-upgrade

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You may obtain Microsoft-sponsored (but not necessarily free) support via the Answer Desk =>
    Microsoft Store Deutschland Offizielle Website - kostenloser Versand, kostenlose Rückgabe

====================================================

DISCLAIMER: Posted AS IS with no guarantees. MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft.

It says I need 20 GB, I can't free up disk space b/c the internal drive is a 32GB SSD drive and the win10 OS already on it, take up too much. I have very few additional apps installed and all documents/pictures are on the microSD card. I want to install
    the update on the USB drive to run it but it won't give me the option to install the update files there, it just stops me from installing as when is checks the computer, it says I need 20GB free space and I only have 1.7 GB. what is the workaround to get
    it to allow me to install it on the USB drive? I already ran disk cleanup and physically can't remove enough apps to make it to 20GB as win10 is so big.

mrmet80, Aug 18, 2019
  3. disk space

Trying to upgrade to windows 10. It's showing me error 0x80070070 (no enough disk space).

I have 17gb space and a 32gb removable disk attached. The installation app says system requirement is about 16gb.

Please what can I do to free disk space for this upgrade.

VictorKpan, Aug 18, 2019
  4. Create space on Tiny 32Gb disk for win10 upgrade

MS Surface 32GB = 16GB

Apps CAN access the SD Slot.. it just takes a few extra steps.

In my surface i have a 32GB SD Card, went into disk management and mounted it to a folder i created on the C: Drive.. Problem solved.

Psychoholic, Aug 18, 2019
Thema:

Create space on Tiny 32Gb disk for win10 upgrade

1. Create space on Tiny 32Gb disk for win10 upgrade - Similar Threads - Create space Tiny

2. xcopy "not enough disk space" in win10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    xcopy "not enough disk space" in win10: Hi there. I have an issue with win10 and xcopy. Every time I buy an external hdd or ssd I own a lot of those, both kinds, mainly used for backups, and not stressed much I check if it works, by formatting it and fill it with rubbish. The process goes like that, I create a...
  3. xcopy "not enough disk space" in win10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    xcopy "not enough disk space" in win10: Hi there. I have an issue with win10 and xcopy. Every time I buy an external hdd or ssd I own a lot of those, both kinds, mainly used for backups, and not stressed much I check if it works, by formatting it and fill it with rubbish. The process goes like that, I create a...
  4. xcopy "not enough disk space" in win10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Allocating free disk space without creating dynamic disk

Allocating free disk space without creating dynamic disk: Hi, I bought a new larger HDD and have cloned my original drive, which I intend to format and use elsewhere. The new drive has a boot partion C with Windows on it, as well as 1 TB of unallocated space. I want to create a new partition with that space, but when I attempt to...
  6. Creating Unallocated Space at End of Disk (Partitioning)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Creating Unallocated Space at End of Disk (Partitioning): Hi, I have a 250 GB SSD that I just installed Windows 10 version 2004 build 19041.329 on. I'd like to create a new, 20 GB partition of unallocated space at the end of this drive. However, it appears that during installation, the Windows 10 setup created a 500 MB recovery...
  7. Windows 10 upgrade disk space

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 upgrade disk space: I cannot upgrade my windows 10 as there is less than 1GB of space available. I have nothing saved on this device, windows is taking up all the space https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-upgrade-disk-space/fae316cb-92db-41a8-9e57-704990a39477
  8. storage space on 32GB tablet

storage space on 32GB tablet: I purchased a tablet with 32GB internal memory. When new it had about 9GB free space. And now that's all gone because you, Microsoft, keeps updating the OS. Every time I clean the system up I end up with less and less free space. Yes, I remove temp files, disc cleanup,...
  9. 32GB PC no space

32GB PC no space: I bought my daughter a 32 GB HP Stream. I updated windows and it used up all the disk space I tried a reset but even that needs space Anything I can do? Is there a smaller OS? Windows 7, Linux? Thank you Peter *** Email address is removed for privacy ***...
  10. disk space after upgrading to 1903

disk space after upgrading to 1903: hi, I have read that in 1903, Microsoft decided to reserve like 7GB of space for updates... Is there a way to choose if I want to or not? I have less space in the C drive then in the previous versions of Windows....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 1903 32gb disk

2. windows 10 space 32gb disk

3. cant upgrade windows due to 32gb c drive