Windows 10: Create System Image of External Drive

Discus and support Create System Image of External Drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My mother's Dell 5566 laptop died mid-use last week - pretty sure it's the mobo. She hasn't backed up recently so she wants to do that before she takes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by snoopaloopas, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Create System Image of External Drive

My mother's Dell 5566 laptop died mid-use last week - pretty sure it's the mobo. She hasn't backed up recently so she wants to do that before she takes it in to get fixed I'm working on it with her remotely. Got her a SATA cable to check it using another laptop and it's reading fine.

My question - how the hell do I back up this drive? I want the equivalent of a system image so I have the ability to copy it to a brand new drive in case something happens when the mobo gets replaced, but I can't figure out how to do that on a peripheral drive being run as external storage. I'm aware of how to do this to the drive running windows. Google searches only show me how to do this, not what I'm looking for.

Thanks

:)

snoopaloopas, Feb 15, 2020
  2. Doc.666 Win User

Unable to Create system image on external USB Drive

It appears since one of the recent updates I can no longer create system images to external USB drives. This is a critical issues for me as my surface book only has one internal drive and external USB backups is the best option for system images. I have
    been using the Windows 7 backup application for years now and want that option back.

Doc.666, Feb 15, 2020
  3. Anon7861 Win User
    Capacity of external system image hard drive

In creating a system image, what capacity hard drive the backup must be saved on?
    Should the capacity of the external hard drive equal or exceed that of the source drive?

In the event of a system crash, how is the operating system restored with the system image created?

Anon7861, Feb 15, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Create System Image of External Drive

restore system image from command prompt, drive d: not seen by system restore

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To be able to help you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the following details:

• Are you trying to restore the system image or create a system image?
    • Are you able to see the external drive in File Explorer?
    • Could you please briefly explain the procedure that you are following to initiate a system image restore?

In the meantime, I suggest you to refer the articles on
    How to: Create a system image in Windows 10
    and

How to restore a Windows 10 system image to an existing or larger storage device
    created by Andre Da Costa.

Please reply with the detailed information, to help you in a better way.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Feb 15, 2020
Thema:

Create System Image of External Drive

1. Create System Image of External Drive - Similar Threads - Create System Image

2. Is it possible to restore a system image to an external drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to restore a system image to an external drive?: I have an SSD drive that has Win 10 that got so corrupted I am not able to boot into Recovery mode. Even a system repair disk does not work. It always goes into Automatic Repair and stays there forever. I've removed the SSD from the latop it was in and the drive passes all...
  3. External Hard Drive is not being recognized by create a system image in control panel

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive is not being recognized by create a system image in control panel: I am having problems with my drive being recognised in the 'create a system image'.I wanted to back up my entire computer by creating a system image as I'm currently in Windows 11 Insider Program Dev. Channel and want to downgrade to Win 10.Thus, when I plugged in my external...
  4. External Hard Drive is not being recognized by create a system image in control panel

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard Drive is not being recognized by create a system image in control panel: I am having problems with my drive being recognised in the 'create a system image'.I wanted to back up my entire computer by creating a system image as I'm currently in Windows 11 Insider Program Dev. Channel and want to downgrade to Win 10.Thus, when I plugged in my external...
  5. Creating system Image to external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating system Image to external drive: Hi,I am unable to create a system image to a brand new western digital external drive. My C drive has 170BG & the usb I’m trying to back it up to has 230GB spare.When I attempt to create the system image, it comes up with 'This drive is not a valid backup location'.I've tired...
  6. Creating system Image to external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating system Image to external drive: Hi,I am unable to create a system image to a brand new western digital external drive. My C drive has 170BG & the usb I’m trying to back it up to has 230GB spare.When I attempt to create the system image, it comes up with 'This drive is not a valid backup location'.I've tired...
  7. Creating system Image to external drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Want to create system image of C drive

Want to create system image of C drive: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,I want to create system image of C drive but problem is that it is backing up C and E both drive so I want to Backup C drive only. Please help....
  9. Can't Create System Image on External Hard Drive

Can't Create System Image on External Hard Drive: Recently my ssd had started failing so I replaced it with 2 new ones. I'm trying to transfer the os from the old ssd to the new one. I read online that I need to make a system repair disc and a system image. I was able to create the system repair disc with no issues however I...
  10. Can I create multiple system images on a single external drive?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can I create multiple system images on a single external drive?: "How to Create a System Image in Windows 8 and 8.1" at System Image - Create in Windows 8 includes the following approach for create multiple system images on a single external drive. Will this approach work in Windows 10? ==========================================...