Windows 10: Create universal Windows 10 image?

Discus and support Create universal Windows 10 image? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I am trying to create a universal windows 10 image based off of Enterprise X64 for work. A lot has changed since Windows 7, but for the most... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Smoblikat, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Smoblikat Win User

Create universal Windows 10 image?

Hello, I am trying to create a universal windows 10 image based off of Enterprise X64 for work. A lot has changed since Windows 7, but for the most part ive got the image doing what I need it to do (Auto domain binding, prompting for computer name, auto wifi binding etc..) except for one very critical aspect......drivers! In windows 7, you could just dump all of your drivers into the inf\driverpacks folder, and windows 7 would look there for any system drivers that it needed. Well, apparently windows 10 doesnt do that anymore. I tried using dpinst64 and calling it from a runsynchronous command during the specialize phase, but even then it didnt install any of my drivers. After the image is applied, I can manually point the devices to the drivers I have in the inf\driverpacks folder, and it will install them fine, so I know I have the appropriate drivers on the system. Does anyone have any idea how to create a fully universal system image from Windows 10? If only we could have 7 forever *Sad

EDIT - Im using sysprep, then capturing/deploying the image locally using clonezilla. Im capturing off of a VM.

:)

Smoblikat, Aug 13, 2017
  2. jov58 Win User
    jov58, Aug 13, 2017
  3. Saveing to external hard drive.

Good idea, creating a system image!

Here is your universal answer: Ask Google with a phrase like this one:

how to create a system image with Windows 10

Frederik Long, Aug 13, 2017
  4. Smoblikat Win User

So I added a command during the specialize phase that calls dpinst64 to install all the drivers in the driverpacks folder, but windows comes up with an error during install. Complaining about the microsoft-windows-deployment component, so I guess its back to the drawing board on that one. Anyone else have any info/links?

Smoblikat, Aug 13, 2017
  5. Smoblikat Win User
    OK well maybe this should be a sticky, I figured it out.
    Where Windows Searches for Drivers | Microsoft Docs
    How to add a driver to the DriverStore Premier Field Engineering

With those 2 pages combined (and a couple others) I was able to find the default driver folder for W10, and after adding my drivers in pre-sysprep, I was able to deploy the image and it automagically installed everything for me. Im really surprised there isnt a lot of info on this yet, its a fairly simple process that can have a big impact on efficiency.

Smoblikat, Aug 13, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    One thing to keep in mind is that the Enterprise and Education editions are somewhat different from the Home/Core and Professional editions. The downloadable .iso files for 32-bit version or 64-bit version will, during install, determine whether the Home or Pro edition is installed based upon the qualifying Product Key of Win7 w/SP1 or Win8.1 and qualifying hardware [CPU type]. Reinstalls will check the Digital License database of Microsoft. I wouldn't base anything upon the Enterprise and Education editions if installing for most consumers/users, could lead to an Activation nightmare. Things are a bit different if buying Win10 Retail and installing on new or qualifying hardware. The OEM editions are more restricted, always have been.

Berton, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Create universal Windows 10 image? - Similar Threads - Create universal image

2. How to create a universal backup ?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to create a universal backup ?: Hi, I want to create a universal backup so that I can restore Windows 10 on any machine with a different hardware. I have heard that apparently Windows 10 is better with hardware changes now in comparison to Windows 7 where system would either bluescreen or be stuck in a...
  3. Using sysprep to create universal image for different computers.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Using sysprep to create universal image for different computers.: Hello. I am a IT guy that often has to come in and reinstall a lot of different Windows 10 computers. I always just used a regular win10 usb installer created using MCT but i found out about sysprep. Basically I would like to create a universal image that can be imaged to...
  4. Creating a system image on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creating a system image on Windows 10: Hello I need to create a recovery usb with my laptop. I had done that before 2 years ago with the previous version of windows10 with only 16gb USB drive capacity and it was fine. Today, the wizard asks for a USB device that has the same capacity as my used hard drive...
  5. Create System Image Windows 10

Create System Image Windows 10: Attempting to create a system image creates a WindowImageBackup folder of size 0 bytes. What's wrong? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-system-image-windows-10/67daf179-6f99-4d62-9ec7-97019681474e
  6. Creating a deployment windows 10 image

Creating a deployment windows 10 image: Looking to create a deployment method for windows 10 pro image https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/creating-a-deployment-windows-10-image/0e17cc7e-fc76-461e-a0b7-a6ca36ef2da4
  7. Creating System Image in Windows 10

Creating System Image in Windows 10: Regarding backups in Windows 10 based on the RECENT responses from the Microsoft Community to me regarding my concern: Ways of doing System Image: Control panel to Backup and Restore (Windows 7) to Create a System Image. Or Search for File history and select Create a...
  8. Creating/Deploying Windows 10 Image

Creating/Deploying Windows 10 Image: Hi all, I'm only a part time computer geek (OK, so more than part time), but I haven't dived into Windows ICD or image deployment. I know you use ICD to customize a provisioning package or image, but are there official tools or ways of converting a working live Windows 10...
  9. Images leak of Skype Universal messaging for Windows 10 Mobile

in Windows 10 News
    Images leak of Skype Universal messaging for Windows 10 Mobile: While we patiently wait for Microsoft to roll out a beta version of their unified Skype messaging experience "before the end of the summer", a Russian website has managed to get a hold of what looks like the new Skype unified experience for Windows 10 Mobile. The...
  10. Create System Image in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create System Image in Windows 10: How to: Create System Image in Windows 10 How to Create a System Image in Windows 10 [img] Information A system image is an exact copy of all system disks which can be used to restore your PC to the state it was in at the time the image was made. By default, a system...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. create universal image windows 10