Windows 10: Create Wim image of a running system anyone

Discus and support Create Wim image of a running system anyone in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi folks Does anybody know how to make a WIM image of a running system -- the reason I'd like this is that I use a Win to Go on an external SSD at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jimbo45, May 4, 2021.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Create Wim image of a running system anyone

Hi folks Does anybody know how to make a WIM image of a running system -- the reason I'd like this is that I use a Win to Go on an external SSD at times - often want Windows in totally different languages also with a load of applications in different languages -- not always possible to update a "Works PC" and it's a pain also on a Home PC mamging different desktop environments -- a Windows 2 Go on an SSD just works for me perfectly. However one of the drawbacks is that these can only be created from a Windows install iso and can't be updated to a newer version of Windows. (Standard WU updates such as security etc still work of course). I don't want to have to create from scratch and re-install a load of applications again. I've updated a physical instance of Windows and would like to use that. The main issue and I'm no expert at this is to ceate a WIM image of the current system, apply it to the external drive and update the boot via the bcd command (from the new system not the existing "C" Windows install on tthe laptops HDD. I'm sure it can be done as I think a paid Win2GO app thinks it can do it - bit I don't think it's necessary to pay for this stuff if the main process is simply in creating a WIM image and applying it. Big corporations also deploy loads of "canned" windows images for their own laptops etc so it must be possible. @NavyLCDR-- you have good ideas on this - any suggestions here please. Cheers jimbo

:)

jimbo45, May 4, 2021
  2. SIW2 Win User

dism++ makes it easy. Can be done from the current running system, no need to boot into pe.

Create Wim image of a running system anyone [​IMG]

Browse to the save location, click ok. vss is automatically ticked on the running stystem.

Also, If you want to exclude anything from the wim first go to Options>more settings>Settings

add any exclusions you want

SIW2, May 5, 2021
  3. jimbo45 Win User

Hi folks
    Does anybody know how to make a WIM image of a running system -- the reason I'd like this is that I use a Win to Go on an external SSD at times - often want Windows in totally different languages also with a load of applications in different languages -- not always possible to update a "Works PC" and it's a pain also on a Home PC mamging different desktop environments -- a Windows 2 Go on an SSD just works for me perfectly.

However one of the drawbacks is that these can only be created from a Windows install iso and can't be updated to a newer version of Windows. (Standard WU updates such as security etc still work of course).

I don't want to have to create from scratch and re-install a load of applications again. I've updated a physical instance of Windows and would like to use that. The main issue and I'm no expert at this is to ceate a WIM image of the current system, apply it to the external drive and update the boot via the bcd command (from the new system not the existing "C" Windows install on tthe laptops HDD.

I'm sure it can be done as I think a paid Win2GO app thinks it can do it - bit I don't think it's necessary to pay for this stuff if the main process is simply in creating a WIM image and applying it. Big corporations also deploy loads of "canned" windows images for their own laptops etc so it must be possible.

@NavyLCDR-- you have good ideas on this - any suggestions here please.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 5, 2021
  4. Bree Win User

Bree, May 5, 2021
Thema:

1. Create Wim image of a running system anyone - Similar Threads - Create Wim image

2. creating Win11 pro wim image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    creating Win11 pro wim image: would it be breaking MS license to install a fresh version of Win11 pro install apps, drivers and etc... Then repackage as wim file and install via a USB stick licensed with the oem key of the laptop....
  3. creating Win11 pro wim image

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    creating Win11 pro wim image: would it be breaking MS license to install a fresh version of Win11 pro install apps, drivers and etc... Then repackage as wim file and install via a USB stick licensed with the oem key of the laptop....
  4. create system image

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    create system image: just updated to win 8.1 difficulty in find how to do a system image for future recovery. What am I missing? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-system-image/97d4d168-ad0f-4b73-9126-deada0a14ede
  5. create system image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    create system image: I just got a new HP laptop with Windows 10 installed. How do i create system image or repair disc so i can reload Windows if needed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-system-image/85580817-ed8a-415b-8225-143159961fff
  6. Create system image

Create system image: I have heard roumors that the function "Create System Image" that is included in Windows 10 will be removed soon. Can anyone tell me when Microsoft intends to remove this function from Windows 10? Kind regards...
  7. Create System Image

Create System Image: Hi there I am trying to create a system image of my primary drive. This includes 3 partitions: EFI System Partition, System C: and a hidden recovery partition. The problem is that in drives selection page I don't see the recovery partition as you can see in the photo....
  8. Creating a system image

Creating a system image: Hi, I wanted to create a system image . I have some screen shots for the issue.Note that this has not been an issue before 2004 version. As you can see in the screen shots "Back up and Restore" includes D: in system but in the computer management it is not a...
  9. CREATE A SYSTEM IMAGE

CREATE A SYSTEM IMAGE: Trying to create a system image for my Windows 10 desktop to a usb 3.0 flash drive formatted for NTFS as required. Receiving an error message "the drive is not a valid backup location". Can anyone help?...
  10. Create a wim or esd file with no volume image

in Windows 10 Support
    Create a wim or esd file with no volume image: [img] Hi Using Windows ADK 10 v1511, it is possible to create a wim or esd file with no volume image so that I can add them later? Thanks Bye 42214