Windows 10: Create Windows XP on Windows 10 with Hyper-V

Discus and support Create Windows XP on Windows 10 with Hyper-V in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a Windows 10 Pro v2004 64-bit system on which I want to install Windows XP in a virtual drive. The source for Windows XP is a DVD created from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by gxdata, Dec 11, 2020.

1. gxdata Win User

Create Windows XP on Windows 10 with Hyper-V

I have a Windows 10 Pro v2004 64-bit system on which I want to install Windows XP in a virtual drive.

The source for Windows XP is a DVD created from my MSDN subscription ISO file.

Using Hyper-V quick create I have a VXD which now requires the OS install.

When I insert the DVD it autostarts the install, but the Welcome screen" has the Install Windows XP greyed out.

I need XP installed because some old software uses the very old CD access of those times.

Is this a comparability problem, or something with Hyper-V that I need to tweek?

WW

:)

gxdata, Dec 11, 2020
  2. Rex99ny Win User

Where is the Hyper V Manager, How to I start it ?

I am trying to setup an XP virtual Machine on Windows 10 Pro.

I followed the steps in Neil Peterson article of 5/9/2016.

System Requirements - done - ok

Install Hyper-V - done - ok

Create a Virtual Switch - skip

Create a Virtual Machine

Create a Virtual Machine with Hyper-V Manager

These steps walk through how to manually create a virtual machine and deploy an operating system to this virtual machine.

• In Hyper-V Manager, click Action > New >
      Virtual Machine
      to bring up the New

Uhhhhhhhhh - this step obviously implies one knows

1) Where the Hyper-V Manager is

2) How to start the Hyper-V Manager

Isn't that odd ?

Rex99ny, Dec 11, 2020
  3. MarkY1166 Win User
    Product key for XP not working in Hyper V

But my point is, the CD key I'm entering CAME OFF THE WINDOWS XP disc! ...WHY and how would or could that not be valid , since it came off the actual disc? Plus, why would Hyper V not be compatible with XP, since one of the very purposes of Hyper V is
    to possibly run OLDER OS's thru it, for compatibility testing,etc. Lastly, there are actual step by step tutorials with pictures where guys are using Hyper V to run XP et al on Windows 10, so there's that...

MarkY1166, Dec 11, 2020
  4. Steve C Win User

Issues installing & running Windows XP SP3 in Hyper V

I'm playing around with Windows XP as a VM in Hyper V for reasons I won't go into. I have a bootable Windows XP SP3 CD I created some time ago. I've hit the following issues.

1. I can install XP from the CD but Hyper V seems to want access to the bootable CD whenever the VM is restarted. It would be faster to use an ISO file stored on a SSD. I've tried various ways to create a bootable ISO file from my CD but failed. What's the best way of creating an ISO file which will install XP and run under Hyper V?
    2. I installed a virtual switch using a legacy network adapter but cannot connect the VM to the internet. Has anyone done this and what are the key steps? Is it safe to use XP to connect to internet from Hyper V?
    3. I mounted the VM's .vhdx file to copy over some programs to test but this broke the VM's virtual drive configuration on restarting the VM. What's the best way to transfer files to the VM from elsewhere on my PC?

Steve C, Dec 11, 2020
Thema:

1. Create Windows XP on Windows 10 with Hyper-V - Similar Threads - Create Hyper

2. Intel Wifi 6e ax211 and creating a virtual switch in Hyper-v

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Intel Wifi 6e ax211 and creating a virtual switch in Hyper-v: I have an MSI GE68 HX 13VF laptop with an Intel Wifi 6E AX211 160MHz wifi card on Windows 11 Pro. I just tried to create a virtual switch using my wifi adapter and I lost my connection to the internet. I've read several things where people with Intel cards have difficulty...
  3. Intel Wifi 6e ax211 and creating a virtual switch in Hyper-v

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Intel Wifi 6e ax211 and creating a virtual switch in Hyper-v: I have an MSI GE68 HX 13VF laptop with an Intel Wifi 6E AX211 160MHz wifi card on Windows 11 Pro. I just tried to create a virtual switch using my wifi adapter and I lost my connection to the internet. I've read several things where people with Intel cards have difficulty...
  4. Hyper-V unable to create or retrieve switches

Hyper-V unable to create or retrieve switches: I'm getting a generic error whenever i try to click on Virtual Switches options in HyperVIf i check even log i see the following 3 errorsHNS failed to create vmswitch with error '0x8007023E' and adapter id = 'C08CB7B8-9B3C-408E-8E30-5E16A3AEB444'.HNS-Layer-Create :- Network...
  5. Hyper-V unable to create or retrieve switches

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hyper-V unable to create or retrieve switches: I'm getting a generic error whenever i try to click on Virtual Switches options in HyperVIf i check even log i see the following 3 errorsHNS failed to create vmswitch with error '0x8007023E' and adapter id = 'C08CB7B8-9B3C-408E-8E30-5E16A3AEB444'.HNS-Layer-Create :- Network...
  6. Hyper-V unable to create or retrieve switches

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. How can I create a portable Hyper-V VM?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I create a portable Hyper-V VM?: I have a Hyper-V virtual machine VM that I only use a couple of times per year. However, sometimes I need to access it on a different computer. Is there a way to create a VM on a USB drive so I can use it anywhere as long as a Hyper-V is installed?...
  8. How can I create a portable Hyper-V VM?

How can I create a portable Hyper-V VM?: I have a Hyper-V virtual machine VM that I only use a couple of times per year. However, sometimes I need to access it on a different computer. Is there a way to create a VM on a USB drive so I can use it anywhere as long as a Hyper-V is installed?...
  9. Hyper-V Fails to create new Snapshots: Error: The process cannot access the file because it...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V Fails to create new Snapshots: Error: The process cannot access the file because it...: Hello,We have been trying to troubleshoot this issue over the past year. We have Veeam that we are using to create automatic backups of our hyper-v vms. We'll get everything working snapshots are working and veeam job triggers a successful backup mutltiple times. After a...
  10. Hyper-V Fails to create new Snapshots: Error: The process cannot access the file because it...

Hyper-V Fails to create new Snapshots: Error: The process cannot access the file because it...: Hello,We have been trying to troubleshoot this issue over the past year. We have Veeam that we are using to create automatic backups of our hyper-v vms. We'll get everything working snapshots are working and veeam job triggers a successful backup mutltiple times. After a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hyper v windows xp