Windows 10: Created a FileHistory back-up folder from my old laptop. Want to restore that backup on a...

Discus and support Created a FileHistory back-up folder from my old laptop. Want to restore that backup on a... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I made a backup of my old laptop using the standard backup option on an external drive. The files are all stored in a folder called FileHistory =>... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Solaris251, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Created a FileHistory back-up folder from my old laptop. Want to restore that backup on a...

I made a backup of my old laptop using the standard backup option on an external drive. The files are all stored in a folder called FileHistory => [user name] => [the device name]. When I was choosing a file history drive, the external drive did show up but the File History of the old laptop wasn't showing. The only File History that was shown was one of the new laptop that I accidentally made, not the proper one I made from the old laptop. The funny thing is I already deleted said backup folder directly in the drive yet the PC could still detect it. I plugged the drive onto another Windows 10 device and the same thing happened. I have tried finding help documents on this issue for an hour to no avail: the file history folder was supposed to show up when I did all that. Thanks. Macrium Reflect isn't an option anymore because the old laptop has been hard reset.

submitted by /u/Solaris251
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Solaris251, Jun 28, 2020

2. FIleHistory: some folders are not backup up anymore

Preamble: I have been used FileHistory to backup my folders and files on a network drive since long.

All backup up folders where included in the Library, therefore I nave used the Backup Contro Panel to include other folders in the backup list.

Up to yesterday everything was working fine.

Yesterday I used the Backup Control Panel to see what was happening if I was adding folder "C:\User\Paolo" to the list of included folders.

Shame on me ..

Since then FileHistory stopped backing up all folders, with one exception: the special folder "Download" which is the only one in my Library to be located in drive D:\ (that is, outside C:\User\Paolo)

Removing the folder C:\User\Paolo from the included didn't work.

Restoring Windows to a previous restore point did not solve the issue.

Starting a new backup on a different network drive did not work.

The final solution was to both

• remove all files located in C:\Users\Paolo\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration
    • start a new backup in a new folder/network drive

I hope that sharing this will help others with the same issue.

Paolo

Paolo Cremonesi, Jun 28, 2020
  3. JimA1958 Win User
    Missing FileHistory Folders and Files After System Image Restore-Win10

Hi Sher and Others,

Thank you so much for your response. The links included had good advice on using basic features of FileHistory and creating a system image. I used Windows 10 FileHistory to save my files/folders onto a backup drive. I used Backup and Recovery (Windows 7)
    to create my system image. I restored the system image using the Windows 10 System Image Recovery. Before the recovery, I had verified on several occasions that files were available within the FileHistory folder on the backup drive from manual and search inspection.

I am sure FileHistory stores a database of files and folders it processes. Restoring my drive with an earlier system image would have replaced that database. Therefore, running the Restore Files options from FileHistory would only show files/folders in the
    replaced database.

My current FileHistory folder on the backup drive has two user folders, e.g., Jim and Jim (2). Their sizes are 100GB and 480GB respectively. The FileHistory after restore reports a Size of Backup of 100GB. I believe my missing files/folders might still be
    in my FileHistory folder on my backup drive.

* Will FileHistory delete files/folders from the backup drive that are not listed in its database?

* Is there a software tool that can rebuild the FileHistory database using the files/folders contained on the backup drive?

Thanks again for your continued help.

JimA.

JimA1958, Jun 28, 2020
  4. JimA1958 Win User

Created a FileHistory back-up folder from my old laptop. Want to restore that backup on a...

Missing FileHistory Folders and Files After System Image Restore-Win10

I have been using FileHistory to an external drive in Win10 for over a year. Periodically, I verify files were actually backed up in the FileHistory folder.

Due to unknown operational problems, I decided to restore my laptop using a system image created from Backup and Restore (Windows 7) dated 4 months earlier. After the restore, I ran FileHistory to update my files. FileHistory copied files onto my laptop from
    dates prior to the system image date as FILENAME (DATE) but no folders/files after the image date. I have searched my FileHistory folder on my external drive using both search and manual inspection, but found none of my files within the last 4 months. FileHistory>
    Restore did not find any of those folders/files either.

I would like to know:

* Any recovery techniques recommended to find the missing folders/files from FileHistory.

* The correct process to use FileHistory and System Images restore when the system image date is prior to the FileHistory date.

Thank you for your time, help with this matter, and condolences to my missing folders and files.

JimA.

JimA1958, Jun 28, 2020
Thema:

Created a FileHistory back-up folder from my old laptop. Want to restore that backup on a...

1. Created a FileHistory back-up folder from my old laptop. Want to restore that backup on a... - Similar Threads - Created FileHistory folder

2. How To Restore Drivers Back From Backup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How To Restore Drivers Back From Backup: HiI created a backup of my drivers using cmd because wanted To reinstall windows. When I installed windows 10 again i am not able to restore drivers.Please Tell a way so that i can restore all of my drivers in one click....
  3. FileHistory backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    FileHistory backup: Regarding FileHistory backup drive, if I select "Stop using device" can I still use the same external hard drive by selecting "Add a drive"? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/filehistory-backup/23338f5f-61e8-4e31-bcce-25018f07f0f0
  4. filehistory old versions

filehistory old versions: when running the version cleanup does it only look at backup files for the current PC or all PCs under filehistory on the same backup drive? also there are 3 versions of this PC under filehistory can I just delete the 2 unused ones?...
  5. Restoring not very old FileHistory backups

Restoring not very old FileHistory backups: I have an issue trying to restore files from Windows 10 FileHistory. For the first time, on May 27 2020, I used option : Settings Update & Security Backup Automatically back up my files I had 'file history' turned on. The backups are being written to an external drive....
  6. Back up and Restore Windows 7 doesn't backup One Drive folders

Back up and Restore Windows 7 doesn't backup One Drive folders: Hi, I want to backup the folders from my OneDrive to an external device. I know that files are in the cloud and MS is taking care of me but I still need to do it to respect laws and to implement my own versioning strategy. The Windows Backup and restore tool worked well for...
  7. Restoring an old backup

Restoring an old backup: in 2009 I backed up my wife's data onto discs before she got rid of her laptop. I now want to restore the data to my Windows 10 laptop but cannot find any software. Any ideas please....
  8. Filehistory retrieve backup

Filehistory retrieve backup: Hi all, I have set up a filehistory backup to backup specific folders from my hard drive to an external SSD. This has worked perfectly and it the backup shows on my SSD. All files are backed up and given a name extension with the date the files were backed up. So far so...
  9. Unable to Restore New Laptop from Backup of Old Laptop

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Unable to Restore New Laptop from Backup of Old Laptop: I was having keyboard problems with my Lenovo Flex 5. It was still under warranty so I sent the laptop back to Lenovo at their request. Before I sent it to them I ran a backup to an external hard drive. The files are located in a file labeled "File History". They sent me a...
  10. Restoring Old Back to a new Laptop!

Restoring Old Back to a new Laptop!: Hey! My laptop was recently stolen and I've since purchased a new one. My laptop automatically backed up a few days before hand, and I am wondering If there is any way to locate that back up and restore on my new pc. I have no idea where it backed up to, one drive maybe? I...