Windows 10: Created a folder now I can't delete it?

Discus and support Created a folder now I can't delete it? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a brand new computer, I just finished it in the last couple weeks if it makes any difference here's the basic hardware: Asus Prime X570-Pro... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by NormAtHome, May 30, 2020.

1. Created a folder now I can't delete it?

I have a brand new computer, I just finished it in the last couple weeks if it makes any difference here's the basic hardware: Asus Prime X570-Pro motherboard, Ryzen 3950X, 32gb Corsair Ram, 2tb Samsung M.2 boot drive with Windows 10 pro, 4tb Samsung Evo data drive I:, 6tb Westen Digital Black data drive K:, Corsair 115i RGB Pro cpu cooler.

It's been working fine and overall I'm incredibly happy with it as it's a major improvement from my last computer but today I created a temporary directory in a directory that's several levels deep on the I: drive I:\<DirA>\<DirB>\<DirC>\<DirD> DirD being the directory I created for a temporary purpose and now that I'm finished with it I can't seem to delete it. When I first deleted it using shift-delete and answered the dialog "Are you sue you want to permanently delete this folder?" Windows 10 didn't complain or anything but the folder continued to appear in File Explorer and if I attempted to delete it again I get the message "Could not find this item" "This is no longer located in I:\<DirA>\<DirB>\<DirC> verify the items location and try again". If I navigate up a level or two and then down again it's still there and if I try and delete it Windows doesn't complain but afterwards it's still there.

Just for the heck of it I also scanned with Malwarebytes and Eset Internet Security 13.1.21.0 since when I Google on this some people seem to automatically suggest a malware or virus problem but neither detected anything.

I've tried rebooting, I've tried using chkdsk /f from an admin command prompt and chkdsk claims no problems were found with the disc but no matter what I still can't delete this folder and it's really bugging me that I can't get rid of it; does anyone have any idea's what the problem is here and how I fix it?

:)

NormAtHome, May 30, 2020

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Created a folder now I can't delete it? :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Created a folder now I can't delete it? :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, May 30, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    1. Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    2. Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    3. Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    4. Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, May 30, 2020
  4. Created a folder now I can't delete it?

Trouble deleting a folder

I can't really afford a NAS, or new HDD, plus I don't really need one ATM. I've found the 150GB file in the windows folder that the freeware thingy created and deleted it. Now the messed up installation is sucking up 7GB instead of 160GB lol. There must be a piece of software that can delete this, I've just tried file shredder without luck.

oli_ramsay, May 30, 2020
Thema:

Created a folder now I can't delete it?

1. Created a folder now I can't delete it? - Similar Threads - Created folder can't

2. Deleted NGC folder, now can't log in

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Deleted NGC folder, now can't log in: Hi, i really need help ASAP!So recently my Windows 10 sometimes shows "Something went wrong on our end" and shows error code 0x80280013 when im trying to sign in using my fingerprint or pin.Just like any other user, i search for that error code and got this result from...
  3. Deleted NGC folder, now can't log in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleted NGC folder, now can't log in: Hi, i really need help ASAP!So recently my Windows 10 sometimes shows "Something went wrong on our end" and shows error code 0x80280013 when im trying to sign in using my fingerprint or pin.Just like any other user, i search for that error code and got this result from...
  4. Deleted NGC folder, now can't log in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I deleted NGC Folder, now can't login.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I deleted NGC Folder, now can't login.: When I tried to change Windows Hello Pin, it showed an error 'your organisations resources dontupport this pin'. I checked microsoft tech community and one microsoft officer replied delete NGC folder by taking permission and I did so. After that i got new pin setup but i...
  6. I deleted NGC Folder, now can't login.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I deleted NGC Folder, now can't login.: When I tried to change Windows Hello Pin, it showed an error 'your organisations resources dontupport this pin'. I checked microsoft tech community and one microsoft officer replied delete NGC folder by taking permission and I did so. After that i got new pin setup but i...
  7. Created Folder ... which points to the parent folder, can't delete it.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Created Folder ... which points to the parent folder, can't delete it.: I managed to get a folder with the name ... created. When I double-click it, it resolves to the same directory I was in, so it is an infinite loop. I can't delete the folder because it is not empty or the parent folder because it is not empty. I can't rename or move it....
  8. Reinstalled Windows and I can't delete a certain folder now

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reinstalled Windows and I can't delete a certain folder now: Reinstalled windows because of an issue, I only formatted My C drive. All the apps and data in D drive was left as it is I try to launch Adobe pdf (I installed it on D drive), but now it wont launch. checked my installed programs and it wasn't there. So i decided to delete...
  9. rsync server backup, but now created folder I can't delete / view!

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    rsync server backup, but now created folder I can't delete / view!: Hi, I'm trying to get a rsync scheduled task setup on my PC, that will do a rsync on my server and grab the files. So after a lot of hassle (getting the SSH key-pair working), I've finally got it going. My issue though, is that I was running this: Code: rsync -vcr -e...
  10. Can't delete folder that I created

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't delete folder that I created: This folder was created in Feb. It's in C: Users/(Me)/Music. I named it Overflow so I could move files into it to keep the main folder looking cleaner. It has no content except for a subfolder called "Photos" (which also has no content). When I look at properties I get...