Windows 10: Created a storage space via powershell and all the drive show as full in the UI

Discus and support Created a storage space via powershell and all the drive show as full in the UI in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I wiped my storage spaces to switch from mirror to parity and came across the bug with the storage space UI. To get around it, I used... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Washout1, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Washout1 Win User

Created a storage space via powershell and all the drive show as full in the UI

Hello,

I wiped my storage spaces to switch from mirror to parity and came across the bug with the storage space UI. To get around it, I used PowerShell to create commands to create the storage space which seemed to work. I get the drive on my PC and it should the right amount of storage space used and the right amount free. Now, when I look at the storage space UI and open up the view of the physical disks, all of the disks show full whereas when I did this via the UI in the past, physical disks would show the percentage physically used versus now where it appears to be showing the space allocated for SS.

My questions: does it matter? Is there a way to have it show the amount used on the physical disk?

Created a storage space via powershell and all the drive show as full in the UI d6c64bae-037b-4a1c-8a08-91ebf5a5d34e?upload=true.png

Created a storage space via powershell and all the drive show as full in the UI 5e9c3bfd-bf2a-422e-b238-ac50fa11f8c7?upload=true.png

Any insights would be appreciated. This was my first time using powershell.

:)

Washout1, Aug 9, 2020
  2. 1CurtisB Win User

Storage Spaces - created a Raid 0 with Powershell but the Manage Storage Spaces UI doesn't show correct pool capacity usage

To upgrade my old blu-ray storage disks, I created a new 3 disk, 3 column Simple pool using the process described here:

Storage Spaces - trying to create a Raid 0 with Powershell

It seems to have worked correctly and it is reporting 3 columns, vs 1 column with previous 4 disc Simply Storage Space. However, it shows 100% pool usage in Storage Spaces UI for this pool vs. the actual number in the 1 column pool which was set up via
    the UI (I noticed it is the same in the linked Answers process). Windows Explorer correctly shows the data and space remaining on the pooled drive letter.

Question:

1. Are the steps in the linked "answers" post accurate?

2. Assume they are, is there a way to get Storage Spaces to report space usage correctly?

3. If there isn't, is there anything that I might need to be concerned about given that is working and Explorer reports usage correctly?

Created a storage space via powershell and all the drive show as full in the UI d831ed07-2ee6-4a9f-aa63-deee43a48e6c?upload=true.jpg

Created a storage space via powershell and all the drive show as full in the UI 1be318ff-f82f-46a6-8961-0624e324799a?upload=true.jpg

Created a storage space via powershell and all the drive show as full in the UI ceefb252-5c5d-4f7f-b389-a0bbc2d0305c?upload=true.jpg

1CurtisB, Aug 9, 2020
  3. Geosammy Win User
    Show storage space in This PC

I can't get This PC to show the storage space bars for my drives and I've done all that's been suggested in this thread.
    Any ideas why I might not be able to make the storage space bars show?

Geosammy, Aug 9, 2020
  4. Created a storage space via powershell and all the drive show as full in the UI

Storage spaces doesn't show some of my drives.

I went into Control Panel / Storage Spaces. There was one option - Create A Storage Pool. I clicked that and it gave me a list of drives with one drive in the list. It was the USB drive. The other drives do not show up. They are both SATA drives. The first
    one has the OS on it. The second one is formatted but empty. I have created files on it and deleted them so I know the disk is working.

I will try to get a screen shot at some point however, I don't as of yet have network access on that machine.

I was able to create a drive in the storage pool using only the USB drive.

EdwardSchmitz, Aug 9, 2020
Thema:

Created a storage space via powershell and all the drive show as full in the UI

1. Created a storage space via powershell and all the drive show as full in the UI - Similar Threads - Created storage space

2. Storage Spaces using Powershell

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage Spaces using Powershell: Hi, I'm trying to use Storage Spaces. On Windows 11. I have 1 Samsung 500GB SSD Boot. I have 3 Samsung 500GB SSD's. For Storage Spaces. On a Pcie x16. I want to use Simple No Resiliency. RAID 0. I tried "Get-PhysicalDisk." It shows 5 drives. 4 Samsung SSD's and 1 Western...
  3. Storage Spaces using Powershell

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Storage Spaces using Powershell: Hi, I'm trying to use Storage Spaces. On Windows 11. I have 1 Samsung 500GB SSD Boot. I have 3 Samsung 500GB SSD's. For Storage Spaces. On a Pcie x16. I want to use Simple No Resiliency. RAID 0. I tried "Get-PhysicalDisk." It shows 5 drives. 4 Samsung SSD's and 1 Western...
  4. Storage spaces no space when drives are not full

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage spaces no space when drives are not full: The smallest drive is full and now i cannot copy any files to the pool.Why?i searched allot and all the information i found tells me that it should be able to take different drive sizes without any issues or loses?...
  5. Storage spaces no space when drives are not full

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Storage spaces no space when drives are not full: The smallest drive is full and now i cannot copy any files to the pool.Why?i searched allot and all the information i found tells me that it should be able to take different drive sizes without any issues or loses?...
  6. Storage Spaces not allowing full amount of drive space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage Spaces not allowing full amount of drive space: Good Afternoon, I have a fresh install of Win 10, version 10.0.19041. Attached to this system are 12x 12TB SATA drives. 4 of these are attached direct via internal SATA headers, and the other 8 are connected to an LSI 9300-8i card. I can see all 12 of the drives using disk...
  7. Windows Storage Spaces not showing all available drives

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Storage Spaces not showing all available drives: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/xc4ugtux3yy41.png?width=690&format=png&auto=webp&s=a6f01746401bdf05f5c7b70b10b1996b15ba4f7e https://preview.redd.it/v57b6xux3yy41.png?width=2227&format=png&auto=webp&s=33d1155491b2c9078e4203c5483018018b516c99 I just did a fresh Windows...
  8. Storage Spaces - created a Raid 0 with Powershell but the Manage Storage Spaces UI doesn't...

Storage Spaces - created a Raid 0 with Powershell but the Manage Storage Spaces UI doesn't...: To upgrade my old blu-ray storage disks, I created a new 3 disk, 3 column Simple pool using the process described here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/storage-spaces-trying-to-create-a-raid-0-with/c440086c-4bb6-410d-9e92-fd98ce6626cc It seems to have...
  9. Storage Spaces - trying to create a Raid 0 with Powershell

Storage Spaces - trying to create a Raid 0 with Powershell: My problem is pretty simple, I set up a 2 X 960 Evo SSD simple volume with Storage Spaces and performance was no better than using the drives singly. Some research seems to say that using the Storage Spaces gui in Win 10 only sets the columns to 1 when what I need is 2....
  10. using powershell to create mixed storage spaces

in Windows 10 Support
    using powershell to create mixed storage spaces: Hi all. I'm trying to use powershell to create a complex storage space on my 4x6TB HD. I want to make the first 4TB of each HD in simple pool and the remaining space 2TB with Mirror 2way. 4x4TB Simple 4x2TB Mirror 2Way This way should be similar to the max speed of...