Windows 10: Created date on Copied file not that of source file

Discus and support Created date on Copied file not that of source file in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I need to copy PDF files attached to emails I use Thunderbird to local directories which i review using File Explorer. When I copy a file to a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Grosep, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Grosep Win User

Created date on Copied file not that of source file

I need to copy PDF files attached to emails I use Thunderbird to local directories which i review using File Explorer.

When I copy a file to a directory, the date created of the copied file becomes the date it was copied.

Is there a way to have the "created date" for the new file to be the "created date" of the source file?

Alternatively, is there a way to change the "created date" manually?

:)

Grosep, Nov 19, 2020
  2. temp02 Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Nov 19, 2020
  3. Wozzer Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

Issue was the above, so thanks temp02.

Wozzer, Nov 19, 2020
  4. oily_17 Win User

Batch Files Knowledge Base

Don't use batch files very much but one I find useful is for creating a list of files in a directory.
    Just copy the text below into Notepad and save as Filelist.bat

dir /a /-p /o:gen >filelist.txt

When you run it from a folder it will create a Filelist.txt file,in the same folder, that lists all the files in that folder.Useful when you are too lazy to type all the files out yourself.

oily_17, Nov 19, 2020
Thema:

1. Created date on Copied file not that of source file - Similar Threads - Created date Copied

2. File explorer and date created/modified change when copying files/folders.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer and date created/modified change when copying files/folders.: Dear Microsoft Wizards,I come to you with a tale of woe, a saga of time-displaced files and folders that have lost their way in the temporal vortex of Windows File Explorer. In an age where we can chat with AI, drive electric chariots, and binge-watch shows about dragons and...
  3. File explorer and date created/modified change when copying files/folders.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer and date created/modified change when copying files/folders.: Dear Microsoft Wizards,I come to you with a tale of woe, a saga of time-displaced files and folders that have lost their way in the temporal vortex of Windows File Explorer. In an age where we can chat with AI, drive electric chariots, and binge-watch shows about dragons and...
  4. Incorrect "Date Created dates" in File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Incorrect "Date Created dates" in File Explorer.: Regarding "Date Created dates". I took about 800 photographs in June 2023 using both a Panasonic camera and a Samsung S6 phone. On sorting through these photographs recently, I found that the "Date Created" date had changed on over half these photographs.. This is occurring...
  5. Incorrect "Date Created dates" in File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Incorrect "Date Created dates" in File Explorer.: Regarding "Date Created dates". I took about 800 photographs in June 2023 using both a Panasonic camera and a Samsung S6 phone. On sorting through these photographs recently, I found that the "Date Created" date had changed on over half these photographs.. This is occurring...
  6. Copying files from source to destination using 'Date created' only

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Copying files from source to destination using 'Date created' only: Hi there, I have an issue where I'm trying to copy a lifetime of photos from one hard drive to another. The destination drive has duplicate photos that are from the source (from a previous time I did a back-up). The issue is that at some point Dropbox had a sync problem and...
  7. FILES COPIED CHANGED THE CREATED AND MODIFIED DATES TO THE DATE COPY WAS DONE???

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    FILES COPIED CHANGED THE CREATED AND MODIFIED DATES TO THE DATE COPY WAS DONE???: Files created over many years were copied form PC WIN 7 to a portable hard drive then my new PC WIN10 File creation dates and modified dates changed to the date copy was done. For my purposes this is disastrous. One answer was I should have used "move" instead of "copy"....
  8. Easily copy files without changing file dates

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Easily copy files without changing file dates: Another really annoying issue. I, like so many others if not everyone, want to copy files with Explorer and keep the original file dates. So simple and basic but it seems I have use e.g. Robocopy or some other third party command line process. Why can't Explorer "just do...
  9. Preservation of "Date Created" property for mp4 files when copying

in Windows 10 Support
    Preservation of "Date Created" property for mp4 files when copying: It seems that copying some video files ( at least mp4 ), the "Date Created" property is not reliably preserved, especially to and from USB drives. About 10% of them would have the copy time time stamp instead of the original "Date Created" time stamp on the destination file,...
  10. Include date in file created by batch file.

in Windows 10 Support
    Include date in file created by batch file.: How can I add to this batch command to include the date: xcopy C:\all\* Z:\Allbak\* /E /Y /C I'd like the resulting file to be named "Z:\Allbak171129" (yr mo day). The plan is to set up a task schedule to run the batch file every week. I want to keep several previous...