Windows 10: Created new user - Restricted file access for that user but Admin account apps now broken

Discus and support Created new user - Restricted file access for that user but Admin account apps now broken in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Windows 10 - latest buildI made a new user account for a friend visiting, and restricted access to some hard drives for that account.All seemed to work... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by LimmyDa, Jul 14, 2021.

1. LimmyDa Win User

Created new user - Restricted file access for that user but Admin account apps now broken

Windows 10 - latest buildI made a new user account for a friend visiting, and restricted access to some hard drives for that account.All seemed to work fine - the files were restricted for the new user.But back in my Admin/main account when I try to open specfic Windows Apps they do not work, in particular:Nvidia Control Panel shows the error: 'Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have appropriate permissions'HyperX Ngenuity: This app simply doesn't open.Both of these apps work when I log in to the non-admin account that I made for my friend.Is there a way to f

:)

LimmyDa, Jul 14, 2021

2. Guest User Restriction

Hello.

The problem was not to create a Guest user account. Yet I created an account by the steps mentioned in that guide.

Problem is how the guest/visitor user is able to revoke the restrictions that were put by the administrator account.

I removed all access to the drive for that particular guest user from my admin account. I switch to guest user and its locked. But then without any authentication I am able to change the security settings.

Should this happen? Then how to restrict access to folder/drives for other users?

CriticalHunter, Jul 14, 2021
  3. dalchina Win User
    Making a restricted user account

Hi, just created a child account for myself (!) - from there you can see files and folders on C: but can only write to your own library folders- there's no write access to (e.g.) C: or C:\Program Files - not without permission via admin login.

Created new user - Restricted file access for that user but Admin account apps now broken [​IMG]

Created new user - Restricted file access for that user but Admin account apps now broken [​IMG]

dalchina, Jul 14, 2021
  4. Created new user - Restricted file access for that user but Admin account apps now broken

Unable to create new User account

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

• Are you logged in with a Microsoft account or Local account?

• Are you trying to create new user account using Administrator account?
    I suggest you to run SFC scan.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files

Run the System File Checker (SFC) scan to fix any corrupted files. Follow these steps:

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833?wa=wsignin1.0

Please get back to us with the information required, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Jul 14, 2021
Thema:

Created new user - Restricted file access for that user but Admin account apps now broken

1. Created new user - Restricted file access for that user but Admin account apps now broken - Similar Threads - Created user Restricted

2. How to restrict non-admin users to access This PC app and CMD and powershell

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to restrict non-admin users to access This PC app and CMD and powershell: i want to know how can i restrict non-admin users to access This PC app, CMD and powershell. This query is specific to Windows server 2019 and newer versions.Also i want to allot specific storage limit to each users non-admin users....
  3. How to restrict non-admin users to access This PC app and CMD and powershell

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to restrict non-admin users to access This PC app and CMD and powershell: i want to know how can i restrict non-admin users to access This PC app, CMD and powershell. This query is specific to Windows server 2019 and newer versions.Also i want to allot specific storage limit to each users non-admin users....
  4. How to create a new admin user account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to create a new admin user account: I'm an administrator. I want to create a new administrator account. Control Panel User Account doesn't show an Add User. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-create-a-new-admin-user-account/cbf0d022-3fee-4615-8c67-d5f1038ed86d
  5. User access restriction to only user profile

User access restriction to only user profile: Hi Team,How can I restrict a user to only access his profile C:\Users\exampleuser1.Rest everything should be locked such as folders in C drive the user shouldn't be able to create any folders in C drive or any. Standard read or write access to Program Files or Windows should...
  6. Create and separate access on user accounts

Create and separate access on user accounts: Hi folks! I have Windows 10 Professional on a laptop. Is there a possibility to separate accounts from each other as well as installation of programs, folders etc.? in a way that the programs/folders etc. only belong to one account and are not accessible from outside from...
  7. Create new User account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Create new User account: Split from this thread. Greetings and happy new year to you, Greg, Master of Windows 10! Would you do me the honor or assisting me with any advice how to repair my very LIGHT corrupted user in Win 10. I want to keep all the "links" the user has. My outlook mails mostly...
  8. Admin access to users accounts

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Admin access to users accounts: Now that I've upgrade our main machine from xp64 to Win10, I am not trying to restore everyone profile stuff. However, even as admin I can't seem to access anyone's profile but mine. How can i access their profiles so I can load all their stuff back into them? It would...
  9. can't create new user account

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    can't create new user account: win 10 installed on a cow chip labeled ASUS. I can't create a new account. Only have one admin account, The tab to create a new user is missing. Tried to create one through Settings. Get message the snapin cannot be used. All this started when I tried to give read only rights...
  10. AppLocker Preventing Admin Account From Creating New Users

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    AppLocker Preventing Admin Account From Creating New Users: Hello! I've got a problem. I've been tasked with creating a lightweight build of Windows 10 to run in kiosk mode here at work. I've got kiosk mode running well, where the only app the user has access to is Internet Explorer (using a custom shell). However now I'm going...