Windows 10: Creating a copy of a folder that is populated with shortcuts.

Discus and support Creating a copy of a folder that is populated with shortcuts. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This was the theory anyway. We tossed the idea around but I can only envision it being done in multiple steps with several different programs to create... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by questorfla, May 16, 2019.

1. Creating a copy of a folder that is populated with shortcuts.

This was the theory anyway. We tossed the idea around but I can only envision it being done in multiple steps with several different programs to create the whole thing. There has got to be an easier way that we have just never used.

The folder is local on a shared drive. The "copy" of the folder would be on the same share-drive. But the contents of the copy would be Shortcuts linking to all the files and folders in the Original.
    The purpose haas to do with people dragging full copies of the original files off to other folders on the same shared drive as no one knows how to create shortcuts. (Or they simply won't perform the extra click to do so) The master shared drive is now full of hundreds GB of duplicates *Sad

The thought was to allow the Users Read Only access to the "shortcuts only" version so they can't drag the shortcut out but would be able to drag out their own copy of it. I would not mind if they copied as many shortcuts as they wanted. Each is only 1k.

If this is a standard operation in Windows that I am simply not aware of named "virtual folders" or other, I can accept that. As long as it can be done, and someone can send me the link to instructions, everyone would be happy.

Eventually, these will all be moved to Onedrive but until then, I have to live with the space available on the fileserver.

:)

questorfla, May 16, 2019
  2. RonZajac Win User

"Create Shortcut" to a folder on a USB drive not working

This is a Windows 10 system... up to date.

I have a preferred process for creating new shortcuts pointing to key folders here and there in my system:

- Right-click on the folder

- Select "Create Shortcut"

- Left-click on the created shortcut, to select it

- Ctrl-X

- Click on folder window to create focus where I'd like to place the shortcut

- Ctrl-V

- Touch up the name on that new shortcut

This no longer works: The second step (above)--the "Create Shortcut" menu item--simply doesn't create a shortcut.

I recall the function used to work like this.

My current workaround: I just copy/paste an existing shortcut, then tweak the Properties (pointing to the desired location) and the name.

But I'm curious why my right-click "Create Shortcut" menu item now does nothing. I swear: It used to work, as one would expect!

RonZajac, May 16, 2019
  3. aleph01 Win User
    Taskbar not populating

Greetings,

I have a user whose Office shortcuts in the taskbar are not persistent. I use an AutoIt script to recreate the shortcuts if they are missing. The shortcuts appear in the folder (%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar) but are not populated to the taskbar, even after she logs off and back on. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

aleph01, May 16, 2019
  4. Creating a copy of a folder that is populated with shortcuts.

Add a Folder from Windows 10 HDD

Ok yea, just use a shortcut. Right click the folder you want to show in documents and select "create shortcut" and move that shortcut to the documents folder.

If you copy folders to documents, the entire folder contents is copied, use shortcuts instead so you dont use up hard drive space having duplicate folders in 2 separate places.

DeathtoGnomes, May 16, 2019
Thema:

Creating a copy of a folder that is populated with shortcuts.

1. Creating a copy of a folder that is populated with shortcuts. - Similar Threads - Creating copy folder

2. Creating a Desktop Shortcut For Download Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating a Desktop Shortcut For Download Folder: Hi GangI'm using Windows 10 Pro and I'm familiar with how to create Desktop Shortcuts simply by using: 'Type Here To Search' and the options appear automatically to do so. However for some reason, the only option I get for a Desktop Shortcut For The Download Folder, is the...
  3. Creating a Desktop Shortcut For Download Folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Creating a Desktop Shortcut For Download Folder: Hi GangI'm using Windows 10 Pro and I'm familiar with how to create Desktop Shortcuts simply by using: 'Type Here To Search' and the options appear automatically to do so. However for some reason, the only option I get for a Desktop Shortcut For The Download Folder, is the...
  4. Creating a Desktop Shortcut For Download Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Can not create folder using shortcut

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can not create folder using shortcut: Hello,I am using windows 10 pro and I can not create folder using its shortcut Ctrl+shift+n I can create folders using mouse right click but using shortcut is much easier my keyboard is working properly and my window is updated as well would be happy to hear your...
  6. Can not create folder using shortcut

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can not create folder using shortcut: Hello,I am using windows 10 pro and I can not create folder using its shortcut Ctrl+shift+n I can create folders using mouse right click but using shortcut is much easier my keyboard is working properly and my window is updated as well would be happy to hear your...
  7. Can not create folder using shortcut

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Create Shortcut to User Account Folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Create Shortcut to User Account Folder: A friend has his user account buried in the Windows folder so any investigation requiring a subfolder that is not listed in his Quick Access requires drilling down...to the Users user account. My user account is at the top of the file explorer listing in the left side...
  9. Create Printers Folder Shortcut in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Printers Folder Shortcut in Windows: How to: Create Printers Folder Shortcut in Windows [img] Information The Printers folder allows you to see all printers in one location to make it easy to manage them. This tutorial will show you how to create or download a Printers folder shortcut in Windows 7,...
  10. How to copy a folder into same folder without creating copy of folder?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to copy a folder into same folder without creating copy of folder?: How do I do this in Windows 10? I have a folder of files, and I want to copy the folder and all of its contents onto an external hardisk which already contains a folder of the same name, and also contains some of the files that I am now trying to copy. Prior to Windows 10, a...