Windows 10: Creating a custom install.wim for a custom Windows install USB

Discus and support Creating a custom install.wim for a custom Windows install USB in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Kari wrote - "Capturing install.wim from an existing installation only works on computers / virtual machines where all system elements and user... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by clk1946, Jan 11, 2021.

1. clk1946 Win User

Creating a custom install.wim for a custom Windows install USB

Kari wrote - "Capturing install.wim from an existing installation only works on computers / virtual machines where all system elements and user accounts are located on Windows system partition C:" - is there a comprehensive list of the 'system elements' of Windows10. Normally when I build a Windows system, I relocate Documents, Pictures, Videos, Downloads, Music, and my Outlook PST on a seperate drive for backup and performance reasons. So, at the very least I would need to place these back onto the "C" drive before doing a DISM "capture-image". Are there any other files/folders that I need to make sure are located on the "C" system volume/partition ?

:)

clk1946, Jan 11, 2021
  2. thraxed Win User

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Jan 11, 2021
  3. creating a boot ghost usb

Hi Freddy,

Ghost is a disk cloning and backup tool. In Windows, we can easily create a bootable USB with your cloned system.

• First, prepare the WinPE which we will use to capture the customized image by following the steps on this

link
    • Boot into WinPE to capture the computer image you have customized. To do it, check out this

link
    • Then, convert WIM file into ISO.
    • Lastly, create the Bootable USB with your customized image.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Jhessica Sur, Jan 11, 2021
  4. Argyle Win User

How can I deploy a custom WIM image to new machines over the network?

I was provided a WIM file that was created and managed by another group using the ImageX program to mount and modify a Windows 10 install ISO. I am trying to research if it's possible to use MDT/ADK on Windows Server 2016 to allow new machines to boot from the network and install the custom image.

I have been trying to follow this guide ignoring any of the steps that go into creating a new deployment images from a standard Windows 10 install ISO. I encounter an error when trying to following this step:

I am able to load my custom WIM file, but it errors when trying to create the catalog file. The error message is basically reporting an "Unknown error". I've looked online for some troubleshooting steps, but can't seem to find any that deal specifically with my situation. Is there any straight-forward guide on how to take an existing WIM image and deploy it to new machines over the network?

Argyle, Jan 11, 2021
Thema:

1. Creating a custom install.wim for a custom Windows install USB - Similar Threads - Creating custom install

2. Windows 10 Custom Installation USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Custom Installation USB: Hi. I have an Asus X551MA laptop with Windows 10/ 500GB HD/ 4GB RAM/ Intel Celeron N2815A few days ago I installed FL Studio 20 and it made some changes into Windows registry. A few Command Prompt-like windows appeared but not actually command prompt, and some unknown...
  3. Custom Installation

Custom Installation: Hello,My pc was sucking up my data... Turnsout there was a huge update for 21h1.Long story short, have to download the update for smooth working.Then got the Media Creation tool by customer care advice.It took 7.5 GB of my data to download and while Installation there was an...
  4. Custom Installation

Custom Installation: When i proceeded with custom installation and arrived to selecting the partion to install window, I found that No partion is able to setup windows on with message saying " Windows can not be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of GPT partion style" and Next tabe can...
  5. Trying to Create a Custom Win 10 Install

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trying to Create a Custom Win 10 Install: I've created a VM using Hyper-V, installing Windows 10 Pro to the VM. My intent is to get is setup and customized, then turning it into a custom install image. But, I'm starting to think I may be expecting more than is possible from my "customizations". For example, I...
  6. Custom Install

Custom Install: Frozen start button, prompted my call to support; their only solution was a complete re-install of Windows 10, which they called "custom install." While the technician, named Justo P., was very helpful, it took a few hours and left me with lots of unanswered questions, she...
  7. Windows 10 - Custom WIM Image - Deployment via USB Storage

Windows 10 - Custom WIM Image - Deployment via USB Storage: Hi, I've built a Windows 10 image from scratch on a laptop (HP), the model is used widely within the company I work for. We currently use a WDS server setup to install the image upon the relevant hardware platforms. However, network speeds and restrictions (no internet...
  8. W10 Custom installation

W10 Custom installation: Hey, I've been looking for this for a while with no success, I can't find exactly what I want. Is there a way to create a bootable and installable iso of the current state of the system (with all my programs and settings) Installable like I would install a regular Windows...
  9. W10 Custom installation

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 Custom installation: Hey, I've been looking for this for a while with no success, I can't find exactly what I want. Is there a way to create a bootable and installable iso of the current state of the system (with all my programs and settings) Installable like I would install a regular Windows...
  10. Install on Custom PC?

Install on Custom PC?: Hi, I have recently made a custom pc. I don't know how to get my current windows installation onto it without it deactivating or me having to pay. Any help would be appreciated 45445