Windows 10: creating a directory yields "the file is to large for the filesystem"

Discus and support creating a directory yields "the file is to large for the filesystem" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My Windows 10 Pro (1803) seems to go nuts again (and me soon, too): In a specific folder on the C-drive, let's call it "C:\foobar" creating a new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mmo, Jul 9, 2018.

1. MMO
    mmo Win User

creating a directory yields "the file is to large for the filesystem"

My Windows 10 Pro (1803) seems to go nuts again (and me soon, too):

In a specific folder on the C-drive, let's call it "C:\foobar" creating a new subfolder always yields me an error message "The file is too large for the destination file system". What is this BS supposed to mean? First: it's not a file but a directory and why on earth can this possibly be too big???

My disk is NTFS-formatted, has about 1TB of space of which ~270GB are still free and I can't create a 0-byte file in that folder??? The name doesn't matter, some "real" name or just "x" all yields the same. *Mad

BTW: I already ran chkdsk of the drive and the ubiquitous "sfc /scannow" that MS folks always come up with as a cure-all (of course as usual without any errors...), so please at least spare me those suggestions!

:)

2. 95Viper Win User
    95Viper, Jul 9, 2018
  3. Drone Win User
    Directory Size Utility

First of all nice utility, Mindweaver!
    Second of all, it's so nice to see that this section ain't dead.

I have a few questions/suggestions, maybe you'd want to see ...
    • maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that?
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs)
    • maybe you also add export list to excel?
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too?
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories?

Drone, Jul 9, 2018
  4. creating a directory yields "the file is to large for the filesystem"

File Manager will NOT create Directory Names or Rename a Directory

Hi Kenneth,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

• Are you trying to create in File Explorer or on desktop?
    • How are you trying to create a directory?
    Please get back to us with the required information to assist you further.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Jul 9, 2018
Thema:

creating a directory yields "the file is to large for the filesystem"

1. creating a directory yields "the file is to large for the filesystem" - Similar Threads - creating directory yields

2. Directory gets created automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Directory gets created automatically: I'm using Windows 11. I save my online receipts in a directory and to help keep track I stored them in a folder called "moved" after I move them to my backup drive. Sometimes to make it easier to enter into my financial software, I would use two computers, one to view the...
  3. Directory gets created automatically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Directory gets created automatically: I'm using Windows 11. I save my online receipts in a directory and to help keep track I stored them in a folder called "moved" after I move them to my backup drive. Sometimes to make it easier to enter into my financial software, I would use two computers, one to view the...
  4. Directory automatically created

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Directory automatically created: This issue was bugging me for years. I'm using Windows 11. I save my online receipts in a directory and to help keep track I stored them in a folder called "moved" after I move them to my backup drive. Sometimes to make it easier to enter into my financial software, I would...
  5. Directory automatically created

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Directory automatically created: This issue was bugging me for years. I'm using Windows 11. I save my online receipts in a directory and to help keep track I stored them in a folder called "moved" after I move them to my backup drive. Sometimes to make it easier to enter into my financial software, I would...
  6. Fix Error 0x80070052, The directory or file cannot be created

in Windows 10 News
    Fix Error 0x80070052, The directory or file cannot be created: [ATTACH]If when attempting to copy files to a removable media like a flash drive or external HDD, and you encounter the copy operation error message The directory or file cannot be created with accompanying error code 0x80070052, then this post is intended to help you with...
  7. Directory Write Test tmp files created

in Windows 10 Support
    Directory Write Test tmp files created: Every once in a while, empty "Directory Write Test (...).tmp" files are added under "C:". Like "Directory Write Test (6008).tmp", "Directory Write Test (12880).tmp", ... It never stops. Googling tmp and "Directory Write Test", I don't find any clue. What could that be ?...
  8. File History has created a duplicate directory?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History has created a duplicate directory?: I'm using File History to backup to an NAS. I noticed two days ago a duplicate directory has been created on the NAS at: > ThisPC > Data (\\NAS) (L:) > sxxxe So now in that location I have: JAY-DESKTOPDELL JAY-DESKTOPDELL (2) Why is there now a duplicate directory and how...
  9. Moving, deleting, creating files / directories takes forever.

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving, deleting, creating files / directories takes forever.: Good day / night, I noticed that my computer takes forever to do any kind of operation on files and directories (except editing content which is done in a separate process). I believe the problem to be the windows explorer simply because I tried moving and deleting files and...
  10. Can't create new file in Documents directory.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't create new file in Documents directory.: Hi all, From some day weeks ago, I strangely found that I can not create new files in my Document directory and some other directories (e.g. Desktop) using some applications. Check this screenshot out. [ATTACH] Here's some further information I can provide: Creating new...