Windows 10: creating a directory yields "the file is to large for the filesystem"

Discus and support creating a directory yields "the file is to large for the filesystem" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My Windows 10 Pro (1803) seems to go nuts again (and me soon, too): In a specific folder on the C-drive, let's call it "C:\foobar" creating a new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mmo, Jul 9, 2018.

1. MMO
    mmo Win User

creating a directory yields "the file is to large for the filesystem"

My Windows 10 Pro (1803) seems to go nuts again (and me soon, too):

In a specific folder on the C-drive, let's call it "C:\foobar" creating a new subfolder always yields me an error message "The file is too large for the destination file system". What is this BS supposed to mean? First: it's not a file but a directory and why on earth can this possibly be too big???

My disk is NTFS-formatted, has about 1TB of space of which ~270GB are still free and I can't create a 0-byte file in that folder??? The name doesn't matter, some "real" name or just "x" all yields the same. *Mad

BTW: I already ran chkdsk of the drive and the ubiquitous "sfc /scannow" that MS folks always come up with as a cure-all (of course as usual without any errors...), so please at least spare me those suggestions!

:)

2. 95Viper Win User
    95Viper, Jul 9, 2018
  3. Drone Win User
    Directory Size Utility

First of all nice utility, Mindweaver!
    Second of all, it's so nice to see that this section ain't dead.

I have a few questions/suggestions, maybe you'd want to see ...
    • maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that?
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs)
    • maybe you also add export list to excel?
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too?
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories?

Drone, Jul 9, 2018
  4. Kalpana Shankarappa Win User

File Manager will NOT create Directory Names or Rename a Directory

Hi Kenneth,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

• Are you trying to create in File Explorer or on desktop?
    • How are you trying to create a directory?
    Please get back to us with the required information to assist you further.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Jul 9, 2018
Thema:

1. creating a directory yields "the file is to large for the filesystem" - Similar Threads - creating directory yields

2. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable: I have 4 of these errors, NTFS failed to mount the volume. Error: {Corrupt File} The file or directory %hs is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility. Volume GUID: {xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx} Volume Name: Guidance: The volume is recognized by...
  3. File Too Large – The file is too large for the destination file system

in Windows 10 News
    File Too Large – The file is too large for the destination file system: [ATTACH] This post will help you if you cannot copy large files over 4GB to USB flash drive or SD card, and you receive a message – File Too Large, The file is too large for the destination file system message [...] This post File Too Large – The file is too large for the...
  4. program Files directory problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    program Files directory problem: Hello Sir ...... one month month before i have changed my windows instrallation file directory through registry from C drive to D drive. after that i cant update my pc. now i want to go back to the previous file instrallation directory D to C drive........ but when i go to...
  5. Creating new account yields: "User Profile Service service failed..."

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Creating new account yields: "User Profile Service service failed...": I am trying to make additional user accounts on my laptop or desktop, but whenever I try to do it on either one I get the following message "User Profile Service service failed to sign in / User profile cannot be loaded" I can't find a Windows 10 fix for this. I tried...
  6. File Directory Issue

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File Directory Issue: All, First of all I just wanted to say everyone has been very helpful on my past PC issues. Your help is greatly appreciated. Here's my problem: A few weeks back I had to reinstall Windows 10. After completion I noticed a problem with File Explorer. When I open it up...
  7. [DRIVER] \FileSystem\srvnet

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    [DRIVER] \FileSystem\srvnet: Just noticed this, is this something to be concerned about, what is it and how do I stop it? C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg -requests DISPLAY: None. SYSTEM: [DRIVER] \FileSystem\srvnet An active remote client has recently sent requests to this machine....
  8. Excessively Large System Files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Excessively Large System Files: I have two excessively large system files located in C:\Windows\: {2FD0AD83-973A-11E5-B6B9-ACFDCE21931D} {2FD0AD87-973A-11E5-B6B9-ACFDCE21931D} The first is 43.4 GB and the second is 26.6 GB. Together, they constitute 30% of my total disk usage or over 42% if you...
  9. Directory file count

in Windows 10 Support
    Directory file count: Does anyone know of a program that when run will give you the number of files in each directory. Thanks Shane. 63754
  10. Directory file problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Directory file problem: Hi staff, Been using my brand new laptop for 3 days now, and I'm still a bit clumsy with Windows Edge... So from the directory I want to remove a picture file that by accident was loaded from an usb twice. Must have done something wrong 'cause the map is not removable and...