Windows 10: Creating a link to a folder with a generic username

Discus and support Creating a link to a folder with a generic username in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there, apologies if this is obvious but I just can't seem to find the answer! I want to send a series of emails with a hyperlink to a folder but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by simonoma, Feb 21, 2019.

1. simonoma Win User

Creating a link to a folder with a generic username

Hi there, apologies if this is obvious but I just can't seem to find the answer!

I want to send a series of emails with a hyperlink to a folder but the link contains each person's username.

e.g. if I send:

C:\Users\simon\Autotask Workplace\Marketing\Audio

When they click on the link, it won't work as it has "simon" in it. I want Bob to open it and access

C:\Users\bob\Autotask Workplace\Marketing\Audio

Is there a way to create a link along the lines of

C:\Users\*current user*\Autotask Workplace\Marketing\Audio

Thank you very much for your help *Smile

:)

simonoma, Feb 21, 2019
  2. DeriLoko3 Win User

Deleting the Links Folder from the Username Folder

The Links folder is something that I do not use.

Deleting the Links folder from the Username folder does not crash the computer. It makes the computer no longer having the Links folder. In fact, I do not need help from this one.

C:\Users\<UserName>\Links

DeriLoko3, Feb 21, 2019
  3. creating new folder problem in windows 10 creator

Hi Gudiya,

The problem you've encountered in creating a folder could be caused by software or program conflict as the issue appeared a few days after installing the Windows 10 Creators update. For us to know if this only occurs when creating a new folder from the desktop,
    we suggest that you try creating a new folder using a keyboard shortcut or from File Explorer. Please refer to the steps below:

Creating a new folder using a keyboard shortcut.

• Click on the desktop.
    • Press CTRL + SHIFT + N.
    • A new folder should be created.

Creating a new folder from File Explorer.

• Open File Explorer.
    • Hover your mouse on the location where you want to create a new folder.
    • Right-click it, go to New > Folder.

In case the problem persists, then we suggest that you go ahead and perform a clean boot. Doing so will start your computer using minimal drivers to help us determine what conflict is causing the problem. Check out
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows for the detailed steps.

Let us know the result so we can further assist you.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Feb 21, 2019
  4. Creating a link to a folder with a generic username

Cannot perform backup...Windows asks to create a folder

I am having problems with the back up files, and every time i get a back up i get this message ( Create the missing folder "
    C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\OneDrive\CATS 6A", as listed in the error message). Create a missing folder was suggested by one of the community members, Pls let me know the steps to follow in order to create a missing folder.

Thanks,

Mac

siamaksadjedi, Feb 21, 2019
Thema:

Creating a link to a folder with a generic username

1. Creating a link to a folder with a generic username - Similar Threads - Creating link folder

2. "Locked for editing..." by a generic username, not the named user

in Windows 10 Customization
    "Locked for editing..." by a generic username, not the named user: Hi, Recently we've upgraded a number of devices from Windows 7 / Office 2010 to Windows 10 / Office 365 Click to Run. Prior to this the users in question had a number of shared files that are located/stored on a network share. Whenever a file was locked, the person to...
  3. Why are sort cut links (.lnk) being created in the Public Folder and NOT the User Folder?

Why are sort cut links (.lnk) being created in the Public Folder and NOT the User Folder?: I had recently installed a number of applications which created shortcuts on the desktop. However when I clicked on 'Desktop' in Quick Access or User/MyProfile/ Desktop i couldn't see them . It was only when i clicked on their properties that I discovered they had been...
  4. Symbolic links inside linked folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Symbolic links inside linked folder: Hi I'm creating symbolic links of one folder (Missions folder) to server so that the server can load the missions from the linked folder and this works. But the problem is that when I create symbolic links inside the sub folders (of Missions folder) then the server fails to...
  5. Generic Credentials - MS live (SSO_POP_Device): Unrecognized username & password listed,...

Generic Credentials - MS live (SSO_POP_Device): Unrecognized username & password listed,...: Hi all! It seems the more I learn the less I know about computers! I desperately need to learn what to look for in terms of viruses or hackers on my computer, and do not want to install Norton, McAfee..not even the free Avast program as they have ALL failed me in the past. I...
  6. email creates link to photos

email creates link to photos: Whenever I send an email and attach a photo, the receiver also gets a link attached saying see all photos which enables them to view all my photos How do I stop the link being sent?...
  7. Create folder for filing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Create folder for filing: Hi I am new to HP Powerful x 360 . Want to learn how to create folder for filing in window 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-folder-for-filing/8a03b6da-36af-474c-88a7-ea210e5667e0"
  8. Issue with permissions on username folder?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Issue with permissions on username folder?: Hi guys, I have had this issue for a while.....No start menu, can't open some apps like the calculator....I have to ctrl/alt/del to get to shut down button. This is start to bug me so I went to dig a little. When I go to Windows/users I see: Default...
  9. Create a second generic account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Create a second generic account: I have created an account on this pc, password protected at sign-in, for administrative/personal use. Now I want to create a second generic account so others can use the pc, no password is necessary on that one. I had this before in Windows 7, but I am stumped how to do...
  10. Deleting the Links Folder from the Username Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleting the Links Folder from the Username Folder: The Links folder is something that I do not use. Deleting the Links folder from the Username folder does not crash the computer. It makes the computer no longer having the Links folder. In fact, I do not need help from this one. C:\Users\<UserName>\Links 81283