Windows 10: Creating a pair in SyncToy that includes a NAS (network accessible storage)

Discus and support Creating a pair in SyncToy that includes a NAS (network accessible storage) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Prior to my laptop moving from win 7 to Win 10, I had no problem creating a SyncToy pair consisting of a NAS (a WD My Cloud) and an external HDD. Now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by gvm7777, Jun 13, 2019.

1. gvm7777 Win User

Creating a pair in SyncToy that includes a NAS (network accessible storage)

Prior to my laptop moving from win 7 to Win 10, I had no problem creating a SyncToy pair consisting of a NAS (a WD My Cloud) and an external HDD. Now when I attempt to create a pair, and thus browse the list of folders, the NAS is not visible in the list. The current version of SyncToy is 2.1.0.0, built 19/10/2009. How do I overcome this please?

TIA .... Greg

PS I had posted this on the Sync Framework forum but that forum appears to have very little activity

:)

gvm7777, Jun 13, 2019
  2. JDA53 Win User

SyncToy 2.1(x64) Question: SyncToyCmd.exe not working with WD MyCloud NAS drive?

I recently purchased a Western Digital MyCloud NAS drive to use as backup. I have SyncToy 2.1(x64) installed, and I want to use Task Scheduler to execute a task every night to run the backup. However, SyncToy does not seem to work properly when running the
    command mode for a folder pair. Even though I have already initialized the SyncToy folder pair by running it manually, the program gives an error message when I try to run it from command line. I get the following result: "SyncToyCmd has detected that the
    folder pair DocumentsBAK has not been synchronized yet. Please run SyncToy.exe to complete the initial synchronization."

Here is my setup on Windows 10:

I have the MyCloud drive connected properly to the network through the router.

I have set up the folder pair in SyncToy 2.1(x64) by using the Browse buttons to select the two folders:

- Left folder = the Documents folder on my internal hard drive

- Right folder = the BAK folder created on the MyCloud NAS drive

I named the folder pair DocumentsBAK.

I also have another folder pair set up to sync some files on my PC to my wife's PC.

I open a Command window to test it out as follows:

C:\Users\JDA>cd "C:\Program Files\SyncToy 2.1\"

C:\Program Files\SyncToy 2.1>SyncToyCmd.exe -R

SyncToyCmd has detected that the folder pair Jon Documents to AutoBAK has not been synchronized yet. Please run SyncToy.exe to complete the initial synchronization.

The folder pair to sync the files to my wife's PC runs OK. I get the error message only with the Folder Pair to back up to the MyCloud NAS drive.

When I run the Folder Pair directly through SyncToy 2.1, it runs properly.

However, when I try to run it through the command line interface SyncToyCmd, I always get the message shown above.

Am I doing something incorrectly, or does the Western Digital drive cause the problem?

JDA53, Jun 13, 2019
  3. Network attached storage (NAS)

OKAY... I get the laptop thru all the updates by using the troubleshooter. Now I still cannot see my NAS in file explorer BUT there is one file listed in quick access that is on the NAS. If I open file location I can see everything on the NAS (WOOHOO)
    but if I close file explorer and reopen it the NAS does not appear(?).

I am sure there is a small tweak that needs to be made but at least if I don't loose the quick access I will be able to access my files.

One step forward!!!!

Thanks,

Len

p.s. still working on the desktop Creating a pair in SyncToy that includes a NAS (network accessible storage) :(

LenKopecky, Jun 13, 2019
  4. Creating a pair in SyncToy that includes a NAS (network accessible storage)

Accessing files over Network NAS drive

I bought a new laptop on Feb 1. It had Windows 10 installed when I got it.

I set everything up and installed my personal stuff and set the wifi adapter to "private" in the network and sharing options.

Everything was fine. I had direct access to my WD MyCloud NAS storage drive.

On Feb. 2, as I shut down for the night, there was an update. And the next morning, I had no access to my NAS drive.

The drive appears in the file explorer, under network, and several locations on the drive have shortcuts in the Quick Access menu, but nothing on the drive can be accessed, except through the web interface. There is no longer any direct access.

I have tried a large number of fixes I found through Google, including adding a credential and editing through services.msc (making a list of things "automatic" loading rather than "manual."

Nothing has worked.

How do I get my NAS drive back?

***Modify title from: Network NAS drive***

ElsaFrohman, Jun 13, 2019
Thema:

Creating a pair in SyncToy that includes a NAS (network accessible storage)

1. Creating a pair in SyncToy that includes a NAS (network accessible storage) - Similar Threads - Creating pair SyncToy

2. Network Attached Storage NAS and Errors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network Attached Storage NAS and Errors: Hello fellow Microsoft Community Members,Image: ERROR for a fingerprint encrypted file TOFP why can't I transfer this file is this a standard finger print encrypted file? It would still be encrypted my fingerprint does not changeI wanted to talk about NAS systems, and...
  3. Network Attached Storage NAS and Errors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network Attached Storage NAS and Errors: Hello fellow Microsoft Community Members,I wanted to talk about NAS systems, and bitlocker issues, One must decrypt bitlocker files to store them in the NAS as it is outside the system. However the main issues is we are forced to select yes for all the folders that are being...
  4. Network Attached Storage NAS and Errors

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Network Attached Storage NAS and Errors: Hello fellow Microsoft Community Members,I wanted to talk about NAS systems, and bitlocker issues, One must decrypt bitlocker files to store them in the NAS as it is outside the system. However the main issues is we are forced to select yes for all the folders that are being...
  5. Failed to create folder pair in SyncToy...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failed to create folder pair in SyncToy...: I'm having problems with SyncToy and a WesternDigital MyBookLive.Soarce: D:\My documentsTarget: \\Mybooklive\documents\My documentsI get this error message:"Failed to create folder pair. Failed to create the provider."I don't understand why it is doing this.Both folders exist...
  6. Failed to create folder pair in SyncToy...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Failed to create folder pair in SyncToy...: I'm having problems with SyncToy and a WesternDigital MyBookLive.Soarce: D:\My documentsTarget: \\Mybooklive\documents\My documentsI get this error message:"Failed to create folder pair. Failed to create the provider."I don't understand why it is doing this.Both folders exist...
  7. Access Synology NAS on network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Access Synology NAS on network: When attempting to access the folders and files on my Synology DS418play I'm confronted with "You do no have permission to access\\DS418Play Contact your administror to obtain permission."I've seen reference on the web to this predicament many times in an attempt to solve...
  8. Network attached storage (NAS)

Network attached storage (NAS): I have a D-Link DNS-325 NAS and now I can not see the disk in file explorer. I have tried several solutions but nothing works. This NAS is where I do all my backups plus store all of my photos and videos. I know the NAS is working as I did a backup today and all went fine....
  9. Network Attached Storage (NAS) recommendations

Network Attached Storage (NAS) recommendations: From another thread I posted about accessing the c$ on computers on my network, an idea formed. What if I just had a NAS setup, then any computer on my network (including visitors to the house), can access data. Now I am looking for suggestions on a decent NAS, with network...
  10. Network Attached Storage (NAS) recommendations

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Network Attached Storage (NAS) recommendations: From another thread I posted about accessing the c$ on computers on my network, an idea formed. What if I just had a NAS setup, then any computer on my network (including visitors to the house), can access data. Now I am looking for suggestions on a decent NAS, with network...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. HOW TO USE SYNCTOY FOR NAS

2. synctoy windows 10 network shares

3. synctoy network share