Windows 10: Creating a Recovery Drive USB

Discus and support Creating a Recovery Drive USB in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have recently updated to Version 1511 and thought I would try to create a recovery drive on a USB having been unsuccessful when trying in the earlier... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by gordon99, Dec 22, 2015.

1. gordon99 Win User

Creating a Recovery Drive USB

I have recently updated to Version 1511 and thought I would try to create a recovery drive on a USB having been unsuccessful when trying in the earlier Windows 10. This time it seemed to be working with the system files box checked, though it seemed to take an age before the USB was required to be inserted. It said I would require a USB of 8GB minimum capacity so I used a 16GB size.

When it finished creating the drive ( I did not see the actual finish but no messages were left on screen) I noticed that the USB had only a little over 1 GB of information loaded.

I assume something is amiss and wonder if someone could provide an explanation. I would probably find it useful if I could be told what files I should expect to find on the USB and the size of each. The files in my USB are titled: boot; efi; sources; bootmgr; bootmgr.efi and reagent. The sources file ( 1GB) is by far the largest.

Thanks.

:)

gordon99, Dec 22, 2015
  2. Remon Ont Win User

Creating a Recovery Drive on USB flash Drive

Hi,

Since it didn't work using a USB, we suggest that you try to create a Recovery Drive on an external hard drive and check if it will work. Some times using higher storage device like external hard drive can help in utilizing the files.

Keep us posted.

Remon Ont, Dec 22, 2015
  3. Allan Mej Win User
    Creating a Recovery Drive on USB flash Drive

Windows 10 installation media should be downloaded on your local drive and it has a size of approximately
    17.7 MB. Doing an in-place upgrade is extremely safe. It does not invalidate your
    OS. In fact, it repairs corrupted system files as well as upgrade your PC.

Do get back to us if you have more questions.

Allan Mej, Dec 22, 2015
  4. Kyhi Win User

The sources folder should contain a reconstruct.wim and a few more files...
    I would say at least 4 GB

5. gordon99 Win User
    The Sources folder contains two 1kb files: $PBR_Diskpart and $PBR_ResetConfig together with Reconstruct.WIM which is approx. 650,000 kb in size and that's all.

gordon99, Dec 23, 2015
  6. I just did it the old fashioned way. Created a Recovery/Restore DVD.

DarkSentinel, Dec 23, 2015
  7. Kyhi Win User
    Well, then I would try again... Windows recreates itself from the files in the winsxs folder..
    And it should be a lot more then a 1GB wim..

Although since you got a reconstruct.wim - it copied some system files, just not all of them...

ALSO - insert your USB stick first - before running the Create a Recovery Drive option

8. Creating a Recovery Drive USB

Used Rufus to make a USB stick. Thanks for the info.

DarkSentinel, Dec 23, 2015
  9. gordon99 Win User
    Thanks all. I will try your suggestions and report back, but probably after Xmas.

gordon99, Dec 24, 2015
  10. Kyhi Win User
    Windows will Reformat the USB again anyway,,,During the creation process...

11. gordon99 Win User
    Thanks all. I used Rufus, though accept this may have been a waste of time as the stick would have been reformatted in the creation program. I also inserted the memory stick without waiting for the instruction in the program. The memory stick is now loaded to a little in excess of 4GB and the program concluded by indicating that the recovery drive was now ready for use.

gordon99, Dec 24, 2015
  12. Kyhi Win User
    That seems about right now..

13. alzio2020 Win User

I also made a Recovery USB Flash Drive... About 3 Gig of Files Total... With the Reconstruct.WIM 2.7 GIG
    Once I was done... I wasn't satisfied...

So I took the Files and Copied Them To My Hard Drive In A Subfolder called Recovery
    Then... I used Rufus to write the MBR Bios ID when I redid the format using any image.iso
    Reflect.iso or easeus.iso it didn't matter. I wanted the ... Press any Key To Boot From USB
    and I wanted a Progress Bar to show me how long before the files loaded 100%

I consider these two things very important... I have a Progress Bar Loading Files Far Left... that I keep handy

MEGA

it's just a modified bootmgr.exe.mui type file plus a few other files that seem to make the USB
    Drive load faster... I have used it on about 6 of my Flash Drives and I got it from my Gandolf WinPE
    originally the one that has portable apps installed and loads the internet for me.

That is how I make a Recovery USB Flash Drive... Far Superior because I don't have to
    take out the Flash Drive... I have the option to press any key to run the Flash Drive
    and I get a Progress Bar... With Loading Files..... on the Far Left ... It's just the way I like it.

I hope my sharing how to make any Flash Drive Better... Helps someone who like to do things and
    likes them done right.

The Setting on Rufus are under Advanced next to the Format Options
    Checkmark Use Rufus MBR Bio's ID to get the Press Any Key To Boot From USB...

alzio2020, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Creating a Recovery Drive USB - Similar Threads - Creating Recovery Drive

2. Create recovery drive process is not finding USB thumb drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create recovery drive process is not finding USB thumb drive: I'm attempting to create a recovery drive, following the instructions here. This process has worked fine until my most recent attempt earlier this week.If I leave the 'Back up system files to the recovery drive' box checked, the process does not detect my thumb drive, only my...
  3. Create Recovery Drive does not recognize USB flash drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create Recovery Drive does not recognize USB flash drives: I am trying to create a recovery drive for a brand new Dell computer running Windows 11 and keep getting this error with different flash drives: "Connect a USB flash drive. The drive must be able to hold at least 32 GB, and everything on the drive will be...
  4. Create Recovery Drive does not recognize USB flash drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create Recovery Drive does not recognize USB flash drives: I am trying to create a recovery drive for a brand new Dell computer running Windows 11 and keep getting this error with different flash drives: "Connect a USB flash drive. The drive must be able to hold at least 32 GB, and everything on the drive will be...
  5. creating a recovery usb

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    creating a recovery usb: Hi, I am trying to put a recovery of windows 10 to a new 32gb usb stick. I am running the latest version of windows. The desktop pc recognizes the usb but the recovery option does not, I just get the green progress bar going along the 'window'. I have tried disabling the anti...
  6. Creating a recovery usb

Creating a recovery usb: Hi there, I want to upgrade from windows 10 v1909 to v2004. So i decided to create a recovery drive so that i can clean install the os if my update fails. I have created a recovery usb drive using "create recovery drive" option in windows, when i was running in windows 10...
  7. Unable to create USB Flash Recovery drive

Unable to create USB Flash Recovery drive: I bought a licence from the Microsoft store so my Windows 10 is legit. When I try to create a USB flash drive Recovery, I get the error that some files are missing so the Recovery could not be created. Help please....
  8. Problem in creating usb recovery drive

Problem in creating usb recovery drive: I am not able to create the recovery drive on my PC running Windows 10, through the preinstalled recovery drive tool. Each time it gives me a failure message after 10-15 minutes of working. How can I create the usb recovery drive now? Someone please help. Thanks...
  9. Creating a USB Recovery Drive

Creating a USB Recovery Drive: Hi I have a question about creating a USB Recovery Drive on a memory stick with Recovery Drive Desktop App in Windows 10. I've read online that a recovery drive should be remade following Windows Updates, and about once a month in order to retain your Windows settings....
  10. Creating USB Recovery Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Creating USB Recovery Drive: Created a recovery drive on build 9879. Went to create one for build 9926, option check box is grayed out and it states that key files are missing. The folder is there with the image so I'm not sure about missing files. I had several BSODs after the initial install but...