Windows 10: Creating A Second Program Files Location?

Discus and support Creating A Second Program Files Location? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Winver: 20H2 (Build 19042.1052) I have a 500GB SSD that Windows is installed on. I would like to install a music program (Komplete 12) that requires... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mulsiphix, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Mulsiphix Win User

Creating A Second Program Files Location?

Winver: 20H2 (Build 19042.1052) I have a 500GB SSD that Windows is installed on. I would like to install a music program (Komplete 12) that requires over 1TB of space. From what I have researched it is not possible to move my entire Program Files directory to a different drive that has the available hard drive space for such an installation. I am wondering, is it possible to create a second "Program Files" location on another drive that Windows will still count as the "Program Files" directory? I can't see any other way to install this software. Buying a 2TB SSD is a bit outside of my budget at the moment.

:)

Mulsiphix, Jun 17, 2021
  2. Kreij Win User

help in creating a simple program

Hi Yin,

If all you are going to do is copy and paste, it would be much simpler to just create a text file with all of your responses listed alphabetically in it, and copy from that.
    You could just leave the text file open on your desktop.
    Then if you have new ones they would be much easier to add than if you use a program.

Just my opinioin *Wink Creating A Second Program Files Location? ;)

Kreij, Jun 17, 2021
  3. Java .jar file is not downloaded as a java file.

Have you tried the second solution?

"Open the Settings app. Navigate to the System > Default apps.

Scroll all the way down and select Choose default apps by file type.

Locate the .jar file type and choose a default application.

This method offers limited options and you can only choose applications recognized by Windows 10. Fortunately, there’s another method that you can try. To change file associations, do the following:

Press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu and choose Control Panel from the list.

When Control Panel opens, select Default Programs.

Click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

Locate the .jar file on the list and double-click it.

A list of suggested applications will appear. Click on More apps.

Scroll all the way down and choose Look for another app on this PC.

Locate the javaw.exe file. By default, the application should be located in Program Files folder. Select the application and choose it as a default for .jar files.

Optional: Some users recommend changing the parameters of javaw.exe. To do that, simply locate the file and create its shortcut. Right-click it and navigate to the Properties. Now, locate the Target file and add -jar “%1” % . Be sure to select this newly created
    shortcut in Step 7.

You can also change file association by right clicking the jar file and choosing Open With > Choose another app. After doing that, follow the steps 5 to 8 from the above"

DouglasMillar69, Jun 17, 2021
  4. Creating A Second Program Files Location?

Finding the program locations

I am trying to find where programs are located. I DON'T want to pull up the all apps menu list as that is NOT helpful.

When I'm associating a file or trying to open a file, I don't want to go through five various steps to find what if anything will open a file. I want to find the file when I'm clicking on the "Open With" function.

Not-in-The-Mood, Jun 17, 2021
Thema:

Creating A Second Program Files Location?

1. Creating A Second Program Files Location? - Similar Threads - Creating Second Program

2. Odd system files located on the second HDD...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Odd system files located on the second HDD...: This is kinda an odd thing that happened to me...I noticed that some system files 2 folders named "System" and "System64" are locateed on my second drive 2TB Toshiba HDD although the OS is installed on the M.2 drive System32, Windows and other folders are located there. So my...
  3. Odd system files located on the second HDD...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Odd system files located on the second HDD...: This is kinda an odd thing that happened to me...I noticed that some system files 2 folders named "System" and "System64" are locateed on my second drive 2TB Toshiba HDD although the OS is installed on the M.2 drive System32, Windows and other folders are located there. So my...
  4. Location is not available to Program Files ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Location is not available to Program Files ?: I'm trying to copy a file from a mapped network drive to Program Files; but even if I run file explorer as an administrator, I continue to get the error; Location is not available ?It could be a UAC issue but I don't see why not running file explorer as an administrator would...
  5. Location is not available to Program Files ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Location is not available to Program Files ?: I'm trying to copy a file from a mapped network drive to Program Files; but even if I run file explorer as an administrator, I continue to get the error; Location is not available ?It could be a UAC issue but I don't see why not running file explorer as an administrator would...
  6. Location is not available to Program Files ?

7. cannot locate program files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot locate program files: I have installed a program Xodo from the Microsoft store on my Win 11 laptop. A shortcut appears on my screen but I cannot locate the actual program files. If I click on the shortcut properties, the "open file location" is grayed out. I searched Program Files and Program File...
  8. cannot locate program files

cannot locate program files: I have installed a program Xodo from the Microsoft store on my Win 11 laptop. A shortcut appears on my screen but I cannot locate the actual program files. If I click on the shortcut properties, the "open file location" is grayed out. I searched Program Files and Program File...
  9. Windows keeps creating Program Files folder on second drive.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows keeps creating Program Files folder on second drive.: I have a second drive that i use for games and windows keeps creating this folder everytime I boot my pc. Theres nothing in it but I can't get rid of it. Is there anyway to make it stop? submitted by /u/Maxilos9999 [link] [comments]...
  10. Create ZIP file in another location

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Create ZIP file in another location: I would like to create a zip file of the folders (on my C: drive) to my external HDD directly. Clarify: the ZIP file is directly made on the external HDD, because I want to minimize the wear to the SSD that was on my laptop submitted by /u/networkITcuriosity [link]...