Windows 10: Creating a shortcut to a programme on a usb drive.

Discus and support Creating a shortcut to a programme on a usb drive. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; hey folks, I want to be able to create a shortcut to launch a programme that is stored in a folder on a usb drive and have that shortcut on the actual... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by donegaljoe, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Creating a shortcut to a programme on a usb drive.

hey folks,

I want to be able to create a shortcut to launch a programme that is stored in a folder on a usb drive and have that shortcut on the actual usb drive itself, not on windows desktop as that way is easy enough to do, just send to desktop.

I use a few different computers and drive letter will change for the usb drive that is why I need the start shortcut on the actual usb drive itself, where the programme is stored.

Would save a lot of time actually searching for the icon that will start the programme in the drive.

Thanks

:)

donegaljoe, Jun 18, 2019

2. Create a shortcut to map a network drive windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the issue description you are willing to create a shortcut to map a network drive. I would suggest you to refer the steps provided in the articles mentioned below and see if it helps.

Create a shortcut to (map) a network drive

Create a shortcut to (map) a network drive

Note: These articles are for Windows 7/8/8.1 but steps holds good for Windows 10 too.

Hope the information provided is helpful. Do let us know if you have any more concern related to Windows. We will be more than happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Jun 18, 2019
  3. Loekarin Win User
    Error While creating USB recovery drive in Windows 10

@Ruth: Why do you think your next suggestion works?

What you actually say is "Use the function/application RecoveryDrive.exe" . --> voila, step 5: The USB recovery drive will now be created

But, as I wrote many times, I have a problem with creating the USB recovery drive!!!!

So, I guess, the USB recovery drive will NOT be created.....

Because this is a learning process for some persons, I will do as told, but I would really be suprised that the solution to 'the USB recovery drive is not created' is simply execute this function.

Because that's what I'm doing all the time...., either by direct access, by using the quick start button or by using the desk shortcut.

Loekarin, Jun 18, 2019
  4. RonZajac Win User

Creating a shortcut to a programme on a usb drive.

"Create Shortcut" to a folder on a USB drive not working

Figured it out, and I have to admit it's (more than) a little embarrassing.

It turns out the generated shortcuts were being deposited elsewhere in the explorer folder window, out of sight.

The folder contents are sorted by Name, alphabetically, but with node type as a primary key, with folders at the top, using the List view. I have hundreds of folders in this folders, so I'm instigating this creation of a shortcut *of* a folder among a sea
    of folders in my list.

What was happening is that the Shortcut *was* being created, but deposited for viewing among the files, out of my sight. I accidentally tripped over scads of created shortcuts when I was scrolling along!

Since I normally create shortcuts of files (not folders), the new shortcut is usually deposited right alongside the target file. I expected this behavior when creating a shortcut for a folder, but it was a mistaken expectation.

Problem "solved"; a dumb User error fixed by a slightly smarter User.

Sorry for the red herring.

RonZajac, Jun 18, 2019
Thema:

Creating a shortcut to a programme on a usb drive.

1. Creating a shortcut to a programme on a usb drive. - Similar Threads - Creating shortcut programme

2. My usb drive keeps creating a shortcut to a hidden file in the ubs drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My usb drive keeps creating a shortcut to a hidden file in the ubs drive: My usb drive keeps creating a shortcut to a hidden file in the ubs drive; all files i put to the usb drive keep going to that hidden folder. When i delete the shortcut after i put the disk in and the shortcut is back there....
  3. My usb drive keeps creating a shortcut to a hidden file in the ubs drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My usb drive keeps creating a shortcut to a hidden file in the ubs drive: My usb drive keeps creating a shortcut to a hidden file in the ubs drive; all files i put to the usb drive keep going to that hidden folder. When i delete the shortcut after i put the disk in and the shortcut is back there....
  4. My usb drive keeps creating a shortcut to a hidden file in the ubs drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Creating a bootable USB drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Creating a bootable USB drive: Hi, I was experiencing something unexpected, when trying to create the drive. Maybe you can tell me what went wrong, as I do not understand it. So, I wanted to help a friend reinstall the OS via thumb drive. This should be pretty straightforward. Download the ISO use a...
  6. Howto create WinPE USB flash drive which remembers shortcuts on deskto

in Windows 10 Support
    Howto create WinPE USB flash drive which remembers shortcuts on deskto: There are many guides out there which tell me how to create an WinPE bootable USB flash drive. Unfortunately when I boot from such an USB flash drive later and create e.g. some shortcuts (to additional prgms) on desktop/TaskBar then these shortcuts gets lost after shutdown....
  7. Creating a USB Recovery Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creating a USB Recovery Drive: Hi I have a question about creating a USB Recovery Drive on a memory stick with Recovery Drive Desktop App in Windows 10. I've read online that a recovery drive should be remade following Windows Updates, and about once a month in order to retain your Windows settings....
  8. create shortcut to remove all connected USB drives in one click

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    create shortcut to remove all connected USB drives in one click: Good Day All just wondering if there is a way to create a desktop shortcut that would shut down make safe to remove all connected USB type hard drives rather than doing it one by one via the lower right corner Many Thanks in ADV 55089
  9. Creating a Recovery Drive USB

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Creating a Recovery Drive USB: I have recently updated to Version 1511 and thought I would try to create a recovery drive on a USB having been unsuccessful when trying in the earlier Windows 10. This time it seemed to be working with the system files box checked, though it seemed to take an age before the...
  10. Creating USB Recovery Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Creating USB Recovery Drive: Created a recovery drive on build 9879. Went to create one for build 9926, option check box is grayed out and it states that key files are missing. The folder is there with the image so I'm not sure about missing files. I had several BSODs after the initial install but...