Windows 10: Creating a shortcut to trigger a shortcut in a background program?

Discus and support Creating a shortcut to trigger a shortcut in a background program? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am transcribing audio, I have an audio program running in the background while I have a text program open to do the typing. I use ctrl + , as a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BFM, Aug 23, 2019.

1. BFM
    BFM Win User

Creating a shortcut to trigger a shortcut in a background program?

I am transcribing audio, I have an audio program running in the background while I have a text program open to do the typing. I use ctrl + , as a shortcut in the audio program a lot, its the rewind function, but as it is, I have to keep switching out of the text program to the audio program to make the shortcut work and rewind the audio. Is there any way I can create a new shortcut that will trigger the ctrl + , shortcut for the audio program running in the background when I'm using the text program?

:)

2. Flava0ne Win User

Creating Shortcuts with Batch File

I've created a Batch file which calls on the following VB Script to be able to create a shortcut to my desktop:

VB Script (named createLink.vbs):
    Code: set objWSHShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell") set objFso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") ' command line arguments ' TODO: error checking sShortcut = objWSHShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings(WScript.Arguments.Item(0)) sTargetPath = objWSHShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings(WScript.Arguments.Item(1)) sWorkingDirectory = objFso.GetAbsolutePathName(sShortcut) set objSC = objWSHShell.CreateShortcut(sShortcut) objSC.TargetPath = sTargetPath objSC.WorkingDirectory = sWorkingDirectory objSC.Save[/quote] Batch File Example (for Windows Notepad):
    Code: @echo off cscript createLink.vbs "C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Notepad.lnk" "C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe"[/quote] But after creating the shortcut using this method, I'm not able to assign a custom icon for the shortcut. I get the following error message when trying to do so:

Creating a shortcut to trigger a shortcut in a background program? Error503.jpg

Any help and ideas on what I need to put into the VB Script and/or Batch File to be able to do this would be greatly appreciated! *Big Grin Creating a shortcut to trigger a shortcut in a background program? :D

Also, I know that I can simply do this by going to Start Menu\All Programs\Accessories\ right-clicking on Notepad and selecting Send to\Desktop (create shortcut). Easy enough for creating a single shortcut. But I need to create several multiple shortcuts and using this Batch/VBS method would really save me a lot of time in doing so.

Flava0ne, Aug 23, 2019
  3. Frick Win User
    Windows 10 commands/shortcuts/env. var.

Keyboard shortcuts to open programs:

Create a shortcut on the desktop to whatever program you want. Right click -> Properties and fill in the field there. Sadly the shortcut needs to remain on the desktop, but you can hide it.

Fun fact: If you had keyboard shortcuts for programs pinned to your Windows 7 start menu, those shortcuts still work when you update to Windows 10.

Frick, Aug 23, 2019
  4. Flava0ne Win User

Creating Shortcuts with Batch File

Tried both of the VB Scripts that you provided and adding the 9 switch to the batch file but neither was able to create a shortcut to my desktop.

Flava0ne, Aug 23, 2019
Thema:

1. Creating a shortcut to trigger a shortcut in a background program? - Similar Threads - Creating shortcut trigger

2. Create A Shortcut

in Windows 10 Customization
    Create A Shortcut: I would like to create a shortcut that would be placed on my desktop. I have logged onto a webpage and want to create a shortcut. How do I do that? Thanks for any help with this,...
  3. Create A Shortcut

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create A Shortcut: I would like to create a shortcut that would be placed on my desktop. I have logged onto a webpage and want to create a shortcut. How do I do that? Thanks for any help with this,...
  4. Create A Shortcut

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Is there a shortcut to create desktop shortcuts ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a shortcut to create desktop shortcuts ?: I'm working on a software to help blind people use computers, and I'm searching for a way for them to create desktop icons/shortcut to Web sites. Is there a way to do this only using the keyboard ? I tried using the Shift + F10, but this doesn't work if an icon is selected,...
  6. Create shortcut

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Create shortcut: Dell Inspiron 15 3505 laptop with WIndows 10 Build 19042.685 Today I have added Foobar2000, via Microsoft Store, to the laptop. I am having difficulty finding how to create a shortcut on for Foobar2000. I cannot find the exe either; I would use this to create a shortcut if...
  7. Start Shortcuts Background

Start Shortcuts Background: Hello! I have recently installed Windows 10 Pro on a new drive and then I have proceeded with installing all the applications I need. Then I encountered the following problem: Click to see image I cannot understand why, on the right-hand side, some of the shortcuts...
  8. create shortcuts

create shortcuts: How do I create a shortcut easily as was done in earlier programs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-shortcuts/31eee41e-7dfe-4726-bff4-c5ea4af40c28
  9. Create my own shortcut of shortcuts

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Create my own shortcut of shortcuts: Hi! Due COVID-19 I am working remote right now and I'm using Remote Desktop Connection app. My problem is that sometimes I want to change fast between the PC from my job and my personal. I am doing that using CTRL + ALT + HOME and WIN + D which is pretty annoying for me. I...
  10. Create Desktop Background shortcut in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Desktop Background shortcut in Windows 10: How to: Create Desktop Background shortcut in Windows 10 How to Create a 'Desktop Background' Shortcut in Windows 10 [img] Information Your desktop background (also called wallpaper) can be a picture from your personal collection or included with Windows, a solid...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. shortcut key trigger batch file

2. how to open a createlink.vbs