Windows 10: Creating a symbolic link on Windows 10 for iTunes iPhone backup

Discus and support Creating a symbolic link on Windows 10 for iTunes iPhone backup in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello all, I have a question that I have been having a hard time finding an answer for by just searching the web. I am trying to create an mklink for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mike986, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Mike986 Win User

Creating a symbolic link on Windows 10 for iTunes iPhone backup

Hello all, I have a question that I have been having a hard time finding an answer for by just searching the web. I am trying to create an mklink for my iTunes backup directory so that I can store my iPhone backups on my much larger HDD d: drive rather than my SSD c: drive. My default backup location is "c:\Users\****\Apple\MobileSync\Backup\". The location that I have attempted to send the backup files to was "d:\Users\*****\iTunesMobileBackup".

However, when I open command prompt and I did this with Run as Administrator and type in this command-

mklink /h "c:\Users\Strider\Apple\MobileSync\Backup" "d:\Users\Strider\iTunesMobileBackup" I will then get an error reading "The system cannot move the file to a different disk drive".

I have also tried entering in the command- mklink /d "c:\Users\Strider\Apple\MobileSync\Backup" "d:\Users\Strider\iTunesMobileBackup" and it will successfully create a symbolic link. But when I do this, I will have the files from my iPhone backed up on both the c: and d: drives, which is not at all what I want.

I have had success with using symbolic links before in video game directories such as Skyrim, which has some huge texture mods that I have installed to my d: drive, but are detected by my c: drive after dropping a symbolic link in the correct path for the game files. Why am I having such a hard time with iTunes?

Thanks, Mike

:)

Mike986, Jun 2, 2020
  2. GDavid Win User

Symbolic link (Junction/s), how-to mklink? Please help with Junction?

Hi all, having been a member at Seven then Ten forums for a fair while I'm hoping to find a straight answer here..? Apologies in advance if this is too verbose.
    Windows 10 system booting from (UEFI) NVME with 2xSSDs + 2 MHDDs for storage...

An application (Xperia Companion) which will not let me select or personalise the location for saving backups of my cellular phone data...

Think I found a fair definition of the differences at the Computer hope site which would suggest it's a Junction I need:
    I want Xperia companion to save backups to F:\Sony Backups NOT the default C:\Users\GD\Documents\Sony. Would the Junction (link) allow me to to fulfill my wants and could someone please demonstrate the mklink commands needed?

with thanks and regards,
    Dave

GDavid, Jun 2, 2020
  3. iTunes iPhone support on Windows 10

Hi,

Please follow some of the troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: You can also uninstall a program from the Control Panel:

• Press Windows + X key to open a task list from the bottom left corner of the screen.

• Select Control Panel.

• Select Programs and Features.

• Double click on ALL Apple programs (iTunes says to start with iTunes, then quick time, bonjour and then finally AMDS (apple mobile device support). you might have to close the add/remove program and open it again
      so that AMDS will not appear on the list.

• Restart/reboot your computer

• Go to itunes.com, download the newest version, save it to your desktop, right click the icon and select
      Run as administrator.

• When iTunes is done being installed, **DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT** click finish just yet.

• Plug in your device (iPhone, iPod) to the USB cord, you'll see a window pop up in the lower right hand corner...that is your computer searching and installing the device driver.

• After the driver is installed you can click FINISH on the iTunes installer.

Also, refer to the below link: Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows 7 and later

If it doesn't help I suggest you to contact apple support as they are more equipped to assist you rectify the issue as the software manufacture are the ones who provide compatible software to work with Windows 10.

Thank you.

Deepak_Krishnan R, Jun 2, 2020
  4. Creating a symbolic link on Windows 10 for iTunes iPhone backup

Itune Iphone backup to PC

why doesn't Itunes reflect the most current Iphone 6 backup date ?

DebbieDellinger, Jun 2, 2020
Thema:

Creating a symbolic link on Windows 10 for iTunes iPhone backup

1. Creating a symbolic link on Windows 10 for iTunes iPhone backup - Similar Threads - Creating symbolic link

2. where to saved iPhone iTunes backup... Please help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    where to saved iPhone iTunes backup... Please help: Please help needed,.. is there a way to change the path of iTunes where your iPhone backup can be directed to a direct storage disk?... i.e from default local drive C: to a different Storage Drive with a free space. thanks! submitted by /u/georgio1990 [link] [comments]...
  3. Restore iPhone backup via iTunes on Windows 10 always aborts?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore iPhone backup via iTunes on Windows 10 always aborts?: Hello, i just reset my iPhone and wanted to restore it from the previously created backup Unfortunately, the backup always aborts when restoring the backup. The error message appears: "itunes could not restore the iphone because an error occurred while reading from or...
  4. iTunes, iPhone and Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    iTunes, iPhone and Windows 10.: Hi all. My iMac is currently inoperable and I'm using a Windows 10 laptop on which I do have iTunes installed. Would it be possible to rip a cd using iTunes and sync it to my iPhone SE 2020? Optimally the iMac would be my goto system but it's currently a $1300...
  5. iPhone link to windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    iPhone link to windows 10: I am having problem to find out how can i link my iPhone to windows 10 account https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/iphone-link-to-windows-10/ebd16956-60a4-43f8-8f60-899ac636eeb2
  6. iphone and itunes

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    iphone and itunes: And yet again, iTunes does not recognize the iPhone on my HP desktop It does recognize it on my wife's desktop. So, iTunes concluded, understandably, that it was a problem on my computer ... and I must contact Microsoft. I have Windows 10. All updates and rebooting 3...
  7. windows 10 and syncing with itunes with an iphone 5s

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 and syncing with itunes with an iphone 5s: I just got a windows 10 computer. I downloaded iTunes onto the computer in the hopes of getting all my music on one device (my computer). However when I attempt to sync my iPhone to the computer is get this error message: "The iPhone "Jessica stone's iPhone" cannot be synced....
  8. iPhone/iTunes help

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    iPhone/iTunes help: my iphone will not connect with my itunes on my laptop. I have the latest windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/iphoneitunes-help/5bf1651a-56ff-43d9-bf42-0088259949f3
  9. Cannot do Backup & Sync between ... iPhone-iTune-Laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot do Backup & Sync between ... iPhone-iTune-Laptop: Hi After +5 hours with Apple technical support, we finally removed all Apple app & driver on my laptop and I still CANNOT do the following: 1. iPhone 6 (OS 11.4.1) backup on my Asus laptop (window 10) via iTune (ver. 12.8.0.150) 2. iPhone sync with iTune (if no backup...
  10. Create Soft and Hard Symbolic Links in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Soft and Hard Symbolic Links in Windows: How to: Create Soft and Hard Symbolic Links in Windows How to Create Soft and Hard Symbolic Links in Windows A symbolic link is a file-system object (file or directory) that points to another file system object (file or directory). The object being pointed to is called...