Windows 10: Creating a system image on a secondary SSD

Discus and support Creating a system image on a secondary SSD in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have 3 drives in my pc. C (Boot Drive), D (secondary SSD), and D (secondary SSD). I have been trying to create a system image and save it on my D... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/i-am-unknown, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Creating a system image on a secondary SSD

I have 3 drives in my pc. C (Boot Drive), D (secondary SSD), and D (secondary SSD).

I have been trying to create a system image and save it on my D drive, but for some reason I am getting a message stating that a system image cannot be saved on a drive that my computer uses to boot from or that windows is installed on it. Well my windows is installed on the C drive and my PC boots from that. To make sure there were no boot files on the D drive, I shut down my PC and unplugged both the D and E drive. I booted up my PC and it booted fine. So D drive doesnt have any boot files on it.

In diskmgmt, I changed the D drive letter to A, rebooted my pc, and to my surprise, I am able to save a system image on it. I assumed I fixed the problem, so I gave it the D letter again and rebooted. Well giving it the D letter made it not work again, and I was still getting the same message as before.

I experimented by switching the letters from the D and E drives, so that the original D drive had the "E" letter and the original E drive had the "D" letter. I rebooted and checked the system image. The original D drive with the "E" letter was showing up, but now the original E drive with the D letter was getting the message that it was a boot drive.

I am completely lost and have no clue whats going on here. It seems like using the letter "D" for a drive makes my PC think it is a boot drive. But whenever I change the drive letter to anything else, it is able to save a system image to it.

I found someone having a similar problem to me back in 2010 on windows 7. Didn't seem to be able to fix it. Wondering if anyone has any idea whats going on.

Link to 2010 article:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-as-boot/32e76e6d-4b8a-4897-96c1-af00f7bfcefa

submitted by /u/i-am-unknown
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/i-am-unknown, Jun 6, 2020

2. Help, cant create windows image

Hello there, @fullinfusion!

It seems like some sort of an OS confusion has happened with your secondary WD Black and I'm sorry to hear about that. *Frown Creating a system image on a secondary SSD :(
    Maybe re-formatting it would help indeed as the community already mentioned. I'd suggest to take a look at this step-by-step how to partition and format an HDD: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=PYCoid
    Keep in mind that this will wipe clean the drive, so you should backup all important data from the drive somewhere else.
    I noticed from the screenshots that your HDD appears as Disk 0, this means that it's plugged in the primary SATA port where the SSD (as an OS drive) should be. Actually it is possible that because of this Windows cannot create the image there. Swap the ports of the SSD and the HDD, this might help as well.

Keep me posted. Hope this helped! *Smile Creating a system image on a secondary SSD :)
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Jun 6, 2020
  3. Creating a System Image backup - keeps looping

Hi,

Thank you for giving us an opportunity to assist you with the query.

I understand the inconvenience caused, now that you have me with you let me take care of this.

The system image is exactly like the mirrored copy of the Operating System which contains the configuration of the Operating System. When you create backup system image your windows 10 comes back to the same position at when the image was created earlier.

As an initial step, I suggest you to make sure that the services required for backup to run successfully is enabled. Refer to these steps:

• Press Windows + R
      keys, type services.msc and press Enter.

• In the services window, locate the services
      File history service
      and the Volume shadow copy service and check if they are running.

• If they are not running, right-click and select
      Start to manually start the service.

• Check if you are able to create a backup now.
    Step 1: I suggest you to follow the steps from the below article created by

Andre Da Costa
    and check if it helps.

How to: Create a system image in Windows 10

How to: Create a system image in Windows 10

Step 2: If the issue still persists, I suggest you to boot the computer in a clean boot state and then check.

Booting the computer in a clean boot state can reduce software conflicts and help identify the root cause of the issue. You can refer to this article for more information:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After troubleshooting, reset the computer to start as usual. Refer to the step
    How to set the computer to start as usual after clean boot troubleshooting under more information.

Hope it helps.

Let us know the status, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Jun 6, 2020
  4. Creating a system image on a secondary SSD

create System image onto ssd

Hi,

I have a Sata hard drive and I'm trying to create a system image onto my SSD so that I can switch them over

I get an error when trying to do this. When i try to create this system image I can see three drives. EFI System Partition, OS and WINRETOOLS.

This is my first time trying to do this so any help is greatly appriciated

Thanks

Nick

NickMcCauley1, Jun 6, 2020
Thema:

Creating a system image on a secondary SSD

1. Creating a system image on a secondary SSD - Similar Threads - Creating system image

2. create system image

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    create system image: just updated to win 8.1 difficulty in find how to do a system image for future recovery. What am I missing? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-system-image/97d4d168-ad0f-4b73-9126-deada0a14ede
  3. create system image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    create system image: I just got a new HP laptop with Windows 10 installed. How do i create system image or repair disc so i can reload Windows if needed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-system-image/85580817-ed8a-415b-8225-143159961fff
  4. Create system image

Create system image: I have heard roumors that the function "Create System Image" that is included in Windows 10 will be removed soon. Can anyone tell me when Microsoft intends to remove this function from Windows 10? Kind regards...
  5. Create System Image

Create System Image: Hi there I am trying to create a system image of my primary drive. This includes 3 partitions: EFI System Partition, System C: and a hidden recovery partition. The problem is that in drives selection page I don't see the recovery partition as you can see in the photo....
  6. Creating a system image

Creating a system image: Hi, I wanted to create a system image . I have some screen shots for the issue.Note that this has not been an issue before 2004 version. As you can see in the screen shots "Back up and Restore" includes D: in system but in the computer management it is not a...
  7. Secondary partitions are marked as System meaning I cannot create a System Image

Secondary partitions are marked as System meaning I cannot create a System Image: Hello, I'm trying to create a System Image on a 500GB partition on a 4TB hard drive. I only want to backup the C drive. When I go to create the System Image, I see that Windows wants to include the C, D and E drives and has marked them all as "System". The E Drive...
  8. CREATE A SYSTEM IMAGE

CREATE A SYSTEM IMAGE: Trying to create a system image for my Windows 10 desktop to a usb 3.0 flash drive formatted for NTFS as required. Receiving an error message "the drive is not a valid backup location". Can anyone help?...
  9. Create a System Image

Create a System Image: I have a Dell Latitude E6540 running Windows10. I am trying to create a System Image. I am trying to put it on a external hard drive. I have an older Seagate 500GB hard drive that I put into a Sabrent USB 3.0 3.5" SATA Hard Drive Aluminum Enclosure. I open the control panel...
  10. Creating a System Image

Creating a System Image: When I try to create a system immage, it starts then error 0x800706ba appears and it stops https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/creating-a-system-image/9877495c-d9a8-47dd-8847-de3fb145c981