Windows 10: Creating a Virtual switch without interfering Physical network

Discus and support Creating a Virtual switch without interfering Physical network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Is there anyway that I can create a virtual switch but without interfering with the physical network? ***Modified title from: Hyper-V FAQ***... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Daniel John, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Creating a Virtual switch without interfering Physical network

Is there anyway that I can create a virtual switch but without interfering with the physical network?

***Modified title from: Hyper-V FAQ***

:)

Daniel John, Nov 18, 2018
  2. Kari Win User

network adapter fails to connect after virtual switch setup.

If you use both Hyper-V and VPN, you should always first create the Hyper-V switches and only thereafter set up the VPN connection. Setting up a new Windows PC, this is the order to do stuff:
    • Install Windows
    • Set up Hyper-V
    • Set up the external Hyper-V virtual switch(es)
    • Set up VPN connection
    This way the VPN will start using the correct network adapter (an external virtual switch instead of a physical adapter).

3. Hyper-v virtual switch breaks my network

Glad to find this, and surprised an issue of this nature is still not fixed. I notice one work-around is missing from this thread, so thought I would add it:

The problem: Creation of a new external virtual switch in HyperV Manager causes Host file sharing to be disrupted. Specifically, it appears that the services associated with physical adapters get set correctly, but something below the hood for File and Print Sharing gets broken.

Solutions:
    As said in earlier posts, if the new "Default Switch" works for you, it is the least problematic option. Delete any manually created external virtual switches and set the network adapter for each VM to "Default Switch" to take this option.

Unfortunately, you cannot assign a distinct IP address to the Default Switch. So this may not work for all users.

Another option not discussed yet works for users with multiple physical network connections. You can use one physical adapter for the host machine, and a different one for the virtual switch. When creating the virtual switch, uncheck the box to allow the host machine to share the connection.

You'll notice that even though this setup has the virtual switch completely separated from the host machine's networking, the host machine's file sharing still gets broken. However, simply get properties of the physical network adapter for the host machine, remove all protocols and apply. Then add them back and apply. This will restore functionality.

Some have noted that they had to redo this every time they restarted their machine. I haven't confirmed this yet, but it is likely. Ugh.

This solution will did not work for me with a single physical network shared with the host machine. It required adding an Ethernet port. I think if I had only one port, I would use Kari's suggestion from post #18 above.

HumanJHawkins, Nov 18, 2018
  4. Kari Win User

Creating a Virtual switch without interfering Physical network

not able to create virtual switch

First, here's some help with screenshots and how to post them:

In this case now a screenshot is no longer needed. The information you posted clearly shows that you already have an external virtual switch created and assigned to your Ethernet LAN network adapter.

In Hyper-V, you can only create one external switch per a network adapter, in other words the maximum number of external virtual switches is 1 if you only have one Ethernet adapter, two if you have one Ethernet adapter and one wireless adapter, and so on.

As you already have the external virtual switch assigned to your Ethernet adapter, you cannot create another one.

Thema:

Creating a Virtual switch without interfering Physical network

1. Creating a Virtual switch without interfering Physical network - Similar Threads - Creating Virtual switch

2. Low Virtual & Physical Memory available

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Low Virtual & Physical Memory available: Hoping someone can help with my issue. The title says it all.I've been getting back into playing Rust recently, and I've just encountered a black screen & game crash. I checked the event viewer to see if anything was logged, to my surprise, it says the following: Windows...
  3. Something is interfering with network connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Something is interfering with network connection: I feel like something is interfering with my PC's network connection. I have Verizon FiOS, so I have plenty of bandwidth 700 Mbps, yet my streaming HBO, FiOS keeps stalling and buffering. Some web pages load slowly. Also, after booting and waking, it takes about a full minute...
  4. Something is interfering with network connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Something is interfering with network connection: I feel like something is interfering with my PC's network connection. I have Verizon FiOS, so I have plenty of bandwidth 700 Mbps, yet my streaming HBO, FiOS keeps stalling and buffering. Some web pages load slowly. Also, after booting and waking, it takes about a full minute...
  5. Something is interfering with network connection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Not create Internel virtual switch

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Not create Internel virtual switch: When I click on apply it doesn't create Jus show applying just applying......[IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-create-internel-virtual-switch/f58e2230-7d5f-4bfe-a1d0-78533898b421
  7. Virtual Switch Manger Unable to Create Default Switch in v1809

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Virtual Switch Manger Unable to Create Default Switch in v1809: After upgrading to v1809 I turned Hyper-V feature Off then On. Since then the Default Switch no longer exists and the Virtual Switch Manager is unable to crate it automatically as it would normally. I can see the Default Switch appear for a few seconds in the Network...
  8. Physical and Virtual Memory

in Windows 10 Support
    Physical and Virtual Memory: Hi, I new with windows 10 and I have some question: My OS is win 10 x64 Ultimate and I have 32GB of physical memory but when I checked my virtual I noticed that when was setup for "Automatically manage paging file size for all drivers" was a little more than 2000 MB but when...
  9. not able to create virtual switch

not able to create virtual switch: creation of virtual switch seems to be proceeding but stops and I get a message similar to this: "Error applying virtual switch properties changes" Failed while adding virtual switch connections External ethernet adapter "'realtek pcie gbe' family is already bound to the...
  10. Don't know how to create virtual switch

Don't know how to create virtual switch: Hi I am new to Hyper-V so please bear with me. After about 5 hours I managed to get the Hyper-V Manager working then tried to set up a Virtual Switch following the tutorial. What I keep getting is "Error applying Virtual Switch Properties changes" please see attached. When...