Windows 10: creating a VM on another drive -

Discus and support creating a VM on another drive - in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I want to create a Hyper-v vm and store it on a secondary 'D' drive I then want to install a fresh copy of windows on my PC and still have access to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by mpooley, May 28, 2020.

1. mpooley Win User

creating a VM on another drive -

I want to create a Hyper-v vm and store it on a secondary 'D' drive
    I then want to install a fresh copy of windows on my PC
    and still have access to that vm on the 'D' Drive.

I am creating the VM now.
    I have set my config to save new VM's to D:\Hyper-V\Configuration Files and D:\Hyper-V\Virtual Hard Disks

I do not have a very good grasp of how VM's files are used so I am worried that there will be something saved on the original C drive that won't be available when I format it and re-install windows.

Can anyone confirm that what I have done will work please?

Thanks

Mike

:)

mpooley, May 28, 2020

2. ESXi 4.0 and Ubuntu LTS VM Raw Drive Mapping/Software Raid

you will be able to map those drives to an ubuntu system. from there when you setup your VM software just reference that mount point. i suggest using command line to mount those drives, not the GUI. i am pretty sure there is open source software for software based raid 5 but i have never set that up before. look into cloud software which is what you want to do essentially.

Easy Rhino, May 28, 2020
  3. Rey Cam Win User
    Create a Recovery Drive?

Hi Kaspaz,

Let us first check the recovery drive creation process that you have done. Below is a step by step process of creating a recovery drive:

• From the taskbar, search for Create a recovery drive and then select it. You might be asked to enter an admin password or confirm your choice.
    • When the tool opens, make sure Back up system files to the recovery drive
      is selected and then select Next.
    • Connect a USB drive to your PC, select it, and then select Next > Create.
      A lot of files need to be copied to the recovery drive, so this might take a while.
    • When it’s done, you might see a Delete the recovery partition from your PC
      link on the final screen. If you want to free up drive space on your PC, select the link and then select
      Delete. If not, select Finish.

If you have done the same steps above and the rest of your file is still not showing.
    Please post back some details:

• Which drive are you referring to?
    • Can you send us a screenshot of what you are seeing?
    • Besides creating a recovery drive, have you done any other changes on your computer?
    • What is the make and model of your USB hard drive device?
    • Have you tried plugging it on another port?
    • What is the current version and build number of your Windows 10 Computer? To know these details, follow the steps below:
      • Select the Start button.
      • Type About your PC.
      • Press Enter to find out the version and build number of your Windows 10 PC.

Let us know the result after performing the troubleshooting steps and if your concern was left unresolved, kindly get back to us with the answers to our inquiry, so that we can assist you further.

Rey Cam, May 28, 2020
  4. creating a VM on another drive -

creating a recovery drive!

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. I will assist you with this.

To better understand the issue please let us know

• What exactly happens when you try to create a Recovery drive ?
    • Do you receive any error message ?
    I suggest you to try the steps below and see if It helps to resolve the issue.

Creating a recovery drive

A recovery drive can help you troubleshoot and fix problems with your PC, even if it won't start. To create one, all you need is a USB drive.

• From the taskbar, search for Create a recovery drive then select it. You might be asked to enter an admin password or confirm your choice.
    • When the tool opens, make sure Back up system files to the recovery drive is selected, then select
      Next.
    • Connect a USB drive to your PC, select it, then select Next > Create. A lot of files need to be copied to the recovery drive, so this might take a while.
    • When it's finished, you might see a Delete the recovery partition from your PC link on the final screen. If you want to free up drive space on your PC, select the link, then select
      Delete. If not, select Finish.

Hope the above information helps. Reply with necessary information and the result to help you further. Thank you.

Deepak_Krishnan R, May 28, 2020
Thema:

creating a VM on another drive -

1. creating a VM on another drive - - Similar Threads - creating another drive

2. Creating a recovery drive with another computer with a differnt drive size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating a recovery drive with another computer with a differnt drive size: My Dell XPS laptop fails recovery attempts using a recovery drive made with the laptop with the message "There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made."I created a recovery drive with my desktop but it is uanble to recover the PC. The system drive is too small.I...
  3. Creating a recovery drive with another computer with a differnt drive size

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating a recovery drive with another computer with a differnt drive size: My Dell XPS laptop fails recovery attempts using a recovery drive made with the laptop with the message "There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made."I created a recovery drive with my desktop but it is uanble to recover the PC. The system drive is too small.I...
  4. Creating a recovery drive with another computer with a differnt drive size

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Win 10 VM can't create a folder or file on mapped server drive but when logged onto another...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 VM can't create a folder or file on mapped server drive but when logged onto another...: Hello all,I have a Windows 2019 Standard server running Hyper-V and I have 4 Windows 10 VM running on it.All was fine until a user on a physical Win 10 pc clicked on a link and the result was a virus that spread some other physical pcs and the Win 10 VMs.After cleaning the...
  6. Win 10 VM can't create a folder or file on mapped server drive but when logged onto another...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 VM can't create a folder or file on mapped server drive but when logged onto another...: Hello all,I have a Windows 2019 Standard server running Hyper-V and I have 4 Windows 10 VM running on it.All was fine until a user on a physical Win 10 pc clicked on a link and the result was a virus that spread some other physical pcs and the Win 10 VMs.After cleaning the...
  7. Win 10 VM can't create a folder or file on mapped server drive but when logged onto another...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. creating a VM

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    creating a VM: I would like to create a VM, and I have watch video's on how to do this. The end product of what I'm looking for is to install Windows 11 on my F drive (SSD (500gb)). I've already found and made my windows 11.ISO file as well which is over on my C drive. If I create a VM and...
  9. Windows 10 creating folders on another drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 creating folders on another drive.: Hey all so i have just been looking at my drives and noticed three folders that seem to of been created by windows on another of my drives, i did not say it could do this and now i can not delete them no i have not tried to restart yet as i am currently using the computer....
  10. how to create bootable pratition in my another drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to create bootable pratition in my another drive: I am using windows 10 OS. I wanted to create bootable partition inD or E drive i saw many videos on internet that they claiming they are working but not works for me...