Windows 10: creating a VM win7, on win 10 pro i3 gen 9 machine

Discus and support creating a VM win7, on win 10 pro i3 gen 9 machine in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; hello all, forgive me if i'm asking something that's addressed elsewhere... new member, longtime reader of your forums... i have questions regarding... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by sneauxwolf, Jun 17, 2020.

1. creating a VM win7, on win 10 pro i3 gen 9 machine

hello all,
    forgive me if i'm asking something that's addressed elsewhere...

new member, longtime reader of your forums...

i have questions regarding creating a VM win7, on win 10 pro i3 gen 9 machine...i'm getting conflicting answers.
    yes gen 9 will support 7 pro 64 as vm in hyper-v, and no, gen 9 won't support 7.

i don't have the 10 machine yet, looking for someone who has done it, namely a win7 vhd backup image imported to THE HYPER-V ENVironment as a VM. or a clean install of my retail 7 pro if necessary

my local guys, who system i'm still working on 12+ years later, have what i want(below listed i3 9th gen) however dude answered my query as follows:

me: 'i'd like to be able to use my current install of 7, as is, w/ hyper-v as a VM''

them:
    ''Unfortunately, I dont think your load of 7 will work on our current PCs. After the 6th generation intel processors, they dropped all support for Windows 7. 7th Gen would work with some workarounds, but since 8th and 9th Generation, they do not work at all as far as I know''

veritas, i'm a big fan of, answer:
    ''In my opinion, I guess that the differences between Intel CPU generations have no problem when you run Windows 7 as Hyper-V VM on Windows 10 because Hyper-V layer can basially absorb the differences of CPU generations. The Hyper-V on old CPU cannot emulate the new CPU but the Hyper-V on new CPU can emulate the old CPU.

I think that you can recover your Win 7 as a VM on Win 10 using the backup data that was backed up on Windows 7 without using Veritas System Recovery 21.''

ty,
    ts

machine im using:
    WIN7-PC
    Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_ldr_escrow.200102-1707)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD
    System Model: MS-7514
    BIOS: Default System BIOS
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
    Memory: 7168MB RAM

machine i'm buyng locally:

Intel Core i3 9100 3.6GHz 9MB Core
    8GB DDR4 Memory
    250GB Solid State Hard drive
    2TB SATA Storage Drive
    Full ATX case w/400 Watt Power Supply
    2GB GeForce GTX 1050 Video Card
    DVD-RW
    Windows 10 Professional

:)

sneauxwolf, Jun 17, 2020

2. Does windows 10 pro provide VM for windows 7 pro

Andre,

A related question: If the processor is an i7-7th gen, that is NOT on the Win7 compatibility list, can you still run a VM of it at all?

Thanks.

SolderFace, Jun 17, 2020
  3. Physical Machine Restore Image (Win 8.1) to New VM (on Win 10)

Hello everyone,

I made a Windows Image Backup of Windows 8.1 Pro on 7/29/15 before doing a clean install of Windows 10 Pro. Win 10 is up and running. I got Hyper-V running. i want to now have my old working everything installed version of Windows 8.1 pro running in a VM
    on the Win 10 machine.

I cannot seem to restore the backup image.

I have gotten close and it has taken forever to get there.

I tried installing a new Win 8.1 Pro VM and then restoring the image: Failed.

I tried an empty new VM with an empty drive, boot to 8.1 pro iso and then recover: Failed.

I get this a long error that ends with (0x80042412).

any suggestions?

Thanks.

Patrick Brewer

Edit #1: 7/31/15: No replies yet, I guess I am the only one.

Patrick A. Brewer, Jun 17, 2020
  4. creating a VM win7, on win 10 pro i3 gen 9 machine

Windows 10 VM

Hi everyone,

Quick question, will Windows 10 create a Win 7 VM so I can use drivers and programs from Win7 like Sony Vegas Pro 13 and Photoshop?

Oliver Chapman, Jun 17, 2020
Thema:

creating a VM win7, on win 10 pro i3 gen 9 machine

1. creating a VM win7, on win 10 pro i3 gen 9 machine - Similar Threads - creating win7 pro

2. Rocky Linux 9, Create VM gen 1 ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Rocky Linux 9, Create VM gen 1 ?: Hello,I can see on this link the avability to create a generation 2 VM for Rocky Linux 9, but when i create en generation 2 Vm for rocky linux the iso is unable to boot boot load failled - Not found HA for processor is disable !I can only boot from the iso with a generation 1...
  3. Rocky Linux 9, Create VM gen 1 ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Rocky Linux 9, Create VM gen 1 ?: Hello,I can see on this link the avability to create a generation 2 VM for Rocky Linux 9, but when i create en generation 2 Vm for rocky linux the iso is unable to boot boot load failled - Not found HA for processor is disable !I can only boot from the iso with a generation 1...
  4. Intel Nuc I3 gen 8

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Intel Nuc I3 gen 8: I just bought an intel Nuc i3 gen 8 for my parents. It is stuck on the undoing changes screen black screen. How does one fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/intel-nuc-i3-gen-8/0ac90207-6dcb-47a2-8399-edf652e7d40c
  5. Win7 Pro to Win 10 Pro Upgrade stuck

Win7 Pro to Win 10 Pro Upgrade stuck: Hi - Trying to update Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro - using a full retail USB version of Win 10. Follow the instructions to boot from USB - typed in the Windows Key supplied - Chose the Upgrade keeping exisiting files option. Then get a message stating that update cannot be...
  6. Attempting to create Win7 Pro/Win10 Pro dual-boot machine. Will I be able to?

Attempting to create Win7 Pro/Win10 Pro dual-boot machine. Will I be able to?: I have a 4 year old Core i7 hexcore machine, on an Asus MB with 32gb RAM. Due to some legacy programs (ProTools for 1) I do not want to convert completely to Win10 as it will end up costing me a lot of $$ to upgrade programs and move to subscription models for them. So, I...
  7. How do i convert a Win 10 Pro Pysical machine to a vmware vm.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How do i convert a Win 10 Pro Pysical machine to a vmware vm.: I want to do this while using system resources. The vm will be hosted on the same hardware. I will be using VMware's free vSphere hypervisor on the bare metal that the win 10 machine is currently on. I have attempted to use the VMware stand alone converter but it fails....
  8. Win7 Pro to Win 10 Pro bag HD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win7 Pro to Win 10 Pro bag HD: Hello, Team, I have HDD failing with my Win 7 Pro. Downloaded and installed Win 10 Pro on new HDD. How to activate new Win 10 Pro or move Windows activation to new HD? Thanks....
  9. networking a win 10 home to win7 pro

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    networking a win 10 home to win7 pro: "You bo not have permission to access" when I try to open a floder on the win 7 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/networking-a-win-10-home-to-win7-pro/515d64ae-2e9c-48f9-b0bd-b53a264633dd
  10. Create VM from physical machine

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Create VM from physical machine: My machine has a non-clean install of win 10, which I have been using for months. I would like to do a clean install of windows 10, but I don't want to be down for days getting everything setup. So I figured I would run it in a VM on the newly installed OS while I set things...