Windows 10: Creating alternative shortcuts for Explorer's Quick Access

Discus and support Creating alternative shortcuts for Explorer's Quick Access in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've been using registry tweaks to get rid of a few things from the Explorer navigation panel, and replacing a few of them with Quick Access links... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by chinagreenelvis, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Creating alternative shortcuts for Explorer's Quick Access

I've been using registry tweaks to get rid of a few things from the Explorer navigation panel, and replacing a few of them with Quick Access links instead.

I used a trick that I read here on one of the tutorial comments, where creating a folder and renaming it using the registry sequence will turn it into a link:

Network.{F02C1A0D-BE21-4350-88B0-7367FC96EF3C} - creates a Network link
    This PC.{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D} - creates a This PC link

These links can then be placed into the Quick Access area.

(I did notice that after briefly updating to 1909, the folders retained the full file names and did not properly remove the alphanumeric sequence. After revering to 1903, the problem seems to have corrected itself, although I did have to unpin the item first and re-pin it in order to fix the filename display.)

What I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to create a link to the shared desktop that is normally displayed in the navigation panel when "Show all folders" is checked. (It's currently possible to pin that item to the Quick Access, but it can't be moved and will appear at the bottom.)

Any ideas are appreciated.

:)

chinagreenelvis, Jan 16, 2020
  2. Mark Ole Win User

Quick Access Crashes Explorer

Hi Bill,

Quick Access is a new feature in Windows 10 File Explorer navigation pane which helps users quickly navigate to locations which are frequently used. However, if you're having issues with Quick Access, you can try to disable and enable it. To disable Quick
    Access, follow these steps:

• Type File Explorer Option in the search box.
    • Click on File Explorer Options.
    • Under General tab, choose This PC in the Open File Explorer to: drop down menu.
    • Uncheck Show recently used files in Quick access and
      Show frequently use folders in Quick access.
    • Click Apply an OK.
    • Restart the computer and re-enable Quick access.

Let us know how it goes after performing the suggested troubleshooting steps.

Mark Ole, Jan 16, 2020
  3. Adding shortcuts to File Explorer Quick Access OR customizing name of pinned folders in Quick Access

Just got upgraded to Win10 PRO from Win7 PRO at work. I work for an Architect where there are multiple projects where primary folder is unique, and there is a subfolder I need to open up within each projects. The subfolder for each project is labelled 'Specs'.
    In Windows 7 I could create a shortcut to each 'Specs' folder, and then customize the name for the shortcut, and drag it into Favorites (now called Quick Access in Windows 10) in File Explorer. I have to access the files in these folders on and off over the
    course of many months. Not always every one on every day. I'm not sure the 'Pick up where you left off' feature is going to be very useful as a workaround.

In Windows 10 dragging a shortcut into Quick access is not allowed. WHY ON EARTH WAS THIS FEATURE REMOVED?

If I try to use the Pin to Quick access feature, I end up with 12 folders that are all labelled 'Specs', and there is no opportunity to create an alias for the folder name. If I go into the Properties for these pinned items it will rename the actual folder
    name, which is NOT good, as we are a department of 50 employees and the folder name 'Specs' must remain as is within each folder structure. If I could create an Alias for each entry in the Quick access list that only applies to my view, that would be an acceptable
    alternative to not being able to use shortcuts in Quick access.

I am really surprised and disheartened that Microsoft has removed a really useful feature! Any suggestions appreciated.

CR Vandecar, Jan 16, 2020
  4. Creating alternative shortcuts for Explorer's Quick Access

Quick Access bar

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We would be glad to help you with the issue you are facing today. I understand the difficulty.

Remove items from Quick access.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps.

• Right click on the file or folder.
    • Select the option “unpin from the quick access”

To pin items to an item already on the quick access bar.

Follow the below steps.

I would suggest you to create folder in the desktop screen & place all the files or folder which need to pin to the quick access.

• Open the quick access.
    • Select the Desktop option.
    • Right click on the folder & select the option “pin to quick access”

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohammed AliAli, Jan 16, 2020
Thema:

Creating alternative shortcuts for Explorer's Quick Access

1. Creating alternative shortcuts for Explorer's Quick Access - Similar Threads - Creating alternative shortcuts

2. Explorer&Quick Access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer&Quick Access: When you set a folder for quick access, it shows up in both the Explorer HOME folder and navigation barI want quick access folders not to show up in the navigation bar, only in the home folder. What can I do?Edition Windows 11 Pro Version 22H2 Installed on ‎11/‎4/‎2022 OS...
  3. Explorer&Quick Access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Explorer&Quick Access: When you set a folder for quick access, it shows up in both the Explorer HOME folder and navigation barI want quick access folders not to show up in the navigation bar, only in the home folder. What can I do?Edition Windows 11 Pro Version 22H2 Installed on ‎11/‎4/‎2022 OS...
  4. Windows 11 File Explorer Quick Access Keyboards Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 File Explorer Quick Access Keyboards Shortcuts: How do I use the keyboard shortcuts to get to my quick access folders in file explorer in Windows 11? Windows 10 used to allow Alt+F 1, 2,... for the first, second, ... folder in the Quick Access menu.Thanks....
  5. Windows 11 File Explorer Quick Access Keyboards Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 File Explorer Quick Access Keyboards Shortcuts: How do I use the keyboard shortcuts to get to my quick access folders in file explorer in Windows 11? Windows 10 used to allow Alt+F 1, 2,... for the first, second, ... folder in the Quick Access menu.Thanks....
  6. How to recover the shortcut pace in quick access Explorer.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to recover the shortcut pace in quick access Explorer.: I have check in a file in C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent folder, but there is no Recent folder, only an empty Recent Items folder. I searched C:\ for that named file AutomaticDestinations, but it is nowhere to be found, nor is it listed in the...
  7. Go to Explorer Quick Access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Go to Explorer Quick Access: How to I navigate to Quick Access in Windows Explorer without having close and reopen the window? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/go-to-explorer-quick-access/0df06764-59bb-47e3-8591-086365c10f52"
  8. Duplicated Quick Access Shortcut

in Windows 10 Support
    Duplicated Quick Access Shortcut: I started having a problem with a shorcut of an app I uninstalled, I tried so restore the original using New Context Menu - Remove & Restore Default Menu Items - Windows 7 Help Forums but everything got ruined, now some shorcuts are duplicated, without name, and can't be...
  9. Pin to Quick Access creates shortcut with wrong path

in Windows 10 Support
    Pin to Quick Access creates shortcut with wrong path: Any time I pin a User Folder to Quick Access (Documents, Downloads, etc.) the path Quick Access takes me to is This PC\[Folder] instead of C:\Users\[Profile]\[Folder] I find it a pain causing I am constantly using the Foward, Back, and Up buttons in Explorer. This tends to...
  10. Creating Quick Access link to shell:desktop in Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Creating Quick Access link to shell:desktop in Explorer: Hi all, It appears that when browsing to the desktop via the 'Desktop' Quick Access link in File Explorer, you don't see icons like This PC, Recycle Bin, etc. From reading another thread, I've learned that you'll only see those icons when browsing to shell:desktop. I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. alternatives to quick access in explorer

2. alternatives to quick access