Windows 10: Creating Backup to an External drive issue

Discus and support Creating Backup to an External drive issue in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I received an error code 0x80070032 when setting up a backup file to an external hard drive. Could you help me?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by stysia79, Jan 1, 2020.

1. stysia79 Win User

Creating Backup to an External drive issue

I received an error code 0x80070032 when setting up a backup file to an external hard drive. Could you help me?

:)

stysia79, Jan 1, 2020

2. Error: "Drive is not a valid backup location" while trying to create a backup on Windows 10

Hello,

I understand that you are facing issues with creating a back up on your device. Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Provide us additional information to assist you better:

• What is the complete error message/ error code of this issue?
    • Are you able to access and detect the drive on your system?

This might be an issues with the external drive.

Let us try few of the below workarounds and check if it help you to create a back up.

I suggest you to remove the external flash drive, restart the computer, reconnect the drive. Try to initiate the backup process and check if the drive is detected on your system.

NOTE: You will have to turn off the Backup and eject the drive safely.

If the drive is not detected, try to connect the drive to different ports on your system. This will let us know if the issue is with the ports for not being detect the drive.

If the issue still persist, I recommend you to format the external drive, re-try to create a backup and check if it helps.

Note: You will have to take a backup of contents in the external drive before formatting.

For more information about creating backup refer to:Set up a drive for File History

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope it helps. Update us the status of this issue with the required information for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 1, 2020
  3. Unable to create a backup on HDD and it says says there is not enough free space.

Hi,

This issue may arise due to the following reasons:

• When the external drive has some corruptions.

• Virus attack.
    As an initial troubleshooting step, I suggest you to format the drive once again from Disk management and check if that helps to resolve the issue.

• In the Run Window, type diskmgmt.msc
      to bring up the disk management console.
    • Right-click on the entry for the external drive choose
      Format.

If the issue still persists, I suggest you to run a full scan of your computer using Microsoft Security Scanner and check if it helps.

Microsoft Safety Scanner Download - Windows security

Note: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

Please do let us know whether you are able to create a backup after following the above steps. If the issue still persists, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Jan 1, 2020
  4. Meghana C Win User

issue with backup options Windows 10

Hi David,

I will certainly help with the issue you are facing with backup option.

To assist you better, kindly provide the information:

• How exactly are you trying to perform back up? Is it from the Backup and Restore (Windows 7) or File History?

• Which drive have you selected to back up? Is it an external drive or a network drive or a local drive of the system?

• When you say 'only allows me to do another backup with the same options', which options are you referring to?

• Are you unable to select a different drive for a backup from the backup destination list?
    If you are using a Backup and Restore (Windows 7) option then, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

• Type backup and restore in the search bar and press enter.

• Click on setup backup option.

• Click on refresh button to check if the drives are visible in the
      backup destination list.

• Choose the drive which you want to back up and click on
      next.
    If you are trying to use file history I suggest you to un-plug it and restart your computer. Re-plug the external drive and check if the file history options are available.

Please get back to us with the information to assist you further.

Thank you.

Meghana C, Jan 1, 2020
Thema:

1. Creating Backup to an External drive issue - Similar Threads - Creating Backup External

2. Creating a backup on an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating a backup on an external hard drive: Hello,I wanted to create a backup on an external hard drive Toshiba Canvio. When I connect the drive to the USB port tried all of the available ones in my laptop, I can see the files stored in the drive, save files to the drive and basically perform all the operations on the...
  3. Creating a backup on an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating a backup on an external hard drive: Hello,I wanted to create a backup on an external hard drive Toshiba Canvio. When I connect the drive to the USB port tried all of the available ones in my laptop, I can see the files stored in the drive, save files to the drive and basically perform all the operations on the...
  4. Creating a backup on an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. External drive backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External drive backup: Hello all, How do I backup windows 10 unto a hard drive? What am I looking for and cant see my dive displayed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-drive-backup/ecc6172e-9317-4fa9-8755-7ee6726e446f
  6. External drive backup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External drive backup: Hello all, How do I backup windows 10 unto a hard drive? What am I looking for and cant see my dive displayed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-drive-backup/ecc6172e-9317-4fa9-8755-7ee6726e446f
  7. Creating a backup on an external drive with files on it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating a backup on an external drive with files on it: I'm wondering if I want to create a windows backup and I choose the D drive which where I already have some documents on it, the backup will automatically delete the files or will create an folder and the other stuff next to the folder I already have on it? I just have a...
  8. Creating a backup on an external drive with files on it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating a backup on an external drive with files on it: I'm wondering if I want to create a windows backup and I choose the D drive which where I already have some documents on it, the backup will automatically delete the files or will create an folder and the other stuff next to the folder I already have on it? I just have a...
  9. Creating a backup on an external drive with files on it

10. Backup to external drive

Backup to external drive: In the Backup section of settings, I click "backup now" and it doesn't back up. I have requested daily backups but my last one was 1 month ago. I am attempting to back up to an external drive. *** Email address is removed for privacy ***...