Windows 10: creating bootable xp usb

Discus and support creating bootable xp usb in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi guys, I wanted to create a bootable xp usb stick that I could keep on me because I work with a couple of, lets say careless, people who are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tommatwalker, Jul 25, 2017.

1. creating bootable xp usb

Hi guys,

I wanted to create a bootable xp usb stick that I could keep on me because I work with a couple of, lets say careless, people who are constantly getting their computer into mischief. So I've got an Ubuntu install stick but I know my way around windows more so I've installed XP onto my stick but it won't boot from it? I just get a blue screen to say that the boot failed. From a little bit of research it would appear that XP doesn't play too well with the new way of doing BIOS (Uefi I believe). I just need the install so that I can run hardware diagnostics for hard drives etc.

Is there any way to get this to work or am I better off trying to make a bootable version of 7?

Thanks in advance for your help

Tom

:)

tommatwalker, Jul 25, 2017
  2. Bezukhov Win User

Using XP to create Windows 10 install media

Here's my question. Lets say I have an seriously infected Windows 10 PC that is activated, but no install media for it. I also have an old XP computer that is fine. I need to create a bootable USB with the XP PC. Is there anything wrong with using XP
    to create it? It won't be installed on the XP computer. I'm just wondering if I have to purchase a license to download the ISO to the XP computer.

Bezukhov, Jul 25, 2017
  3. nitbhatt Win User
    how to create bootable usb

Thank you very much.....this will certainly provide me appropriate thought process to go from here. Thanks a ton. There is wealth of information in your reply which I need to grasp before I can make any further request on your valuable time.

thank you very much.

nitbhatt, Jul 25, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

creating bootable xp usb

You'd be better off using PE.

You could make a Windows to go USB (in which case 8 or 10 would be easier than 7) but PE is preferable (especially from a licensing point of view). See here for instructions TechNet Wiki

You can make a PE yourself using this project The Oven to add useful things like taskbar, GUI etc or there is a prebuilt one here you can start with which contains most applications you'd want Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

5. Hi mate, thanks for this. I have not had anything to do with PE so I will do a bit of research now.

Thanks for the info

Tom

tommatwalker, Jul 25, 2017
  6. lx07 Win User
    You are welcome. Try the rescue disk in the link above (will boot on BIOS and UEFI PC) first - it sounds like what you may want and you can always add extra programs if you need to.

7. NavyLCDR New Member
    The biggest advantage to PE over a full Windows install is the installation of drivers. PE has a small collection of widely compatible hardware drivers to just make the OS work, although possibly not at optimal performance. The full Windows install will contain a large number of more specific drivers and each time it is booted on a new hardware configuration will go through the lengthy process of setting up the best drivers it can find for that hardware configuration.

NavyLCDR, Jul 25, 2017
  8. creating bootable xp usb

So I've burned that ISO to a memory stick using Rufus but I'm still getting a failure (blue screen that just says boot failed). What is the minimum space capacity required for installing windows PE?

Tom

tommatwalker, Jul 26, 2017
  9. lx07 Win User
    You need enough RAM to copy the whole ISO into plus 500mb or so for scratch space. 3GB RAM works - I'm not sure if 2GB would be enough but I've not tried it.

For systems with less RAM you'd need a smaller (less comprehensive) PE environment.

You don't need Rufus (I always get confused by the options tbh) - just format the drive FAT32 and mark it active like this and it will boot on BIOS or UEFI. Code: PS C:\Windows\system32> diskpart Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.15063.0 Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. On computer: MACBOOK DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- --- Disk 0 Online 113 GB 6144 MB * Disk 1 Online 1927 MB 960 KB DISKPART> select disk 1 Disk 1 is now the selected disk. DISKPART> clean DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk. DISKPART> create partition primary DiskPart succeeded in creating the specified partition. DISKPART> format fs=fat32 quick 100 percent completed DiskPart successfully formatted the volume. DISKPART> active DiskPart marked the current partition as active. DISKPART> exit Leaving DiskPart... PS C:\Windows\system32>[/quote] Then mount the ISO (double click on it) and copy the contents onto your flash drive.

10. Sorted! Thanks guys, great piece of kit that!

tommatwalker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

creating bootable xp usb

1. creating bootable xp usb - Similar Threads - creating bootable usb

2. creating bootable cd/usb drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    creating bootable cd/usb drive.: How do you create a bootable cd/USB drive in windows 10 or can I? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/creating-bootable-cdusb-drive/9d71be61-a696-496a-9b75-d5cd792e0208
  3. Trouble creating bootable usb

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trouble creating bootable usb: Just recently built a gaming pc, and I'm having trouble downloading windows 10 from my laptop to my usb drive for use on the new pc. I've attempted to download it using the windows media creator tool 3 times now, and every time it refuses to download past 37%. This most...
  4. Create bootable USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Create bootable USB: Hi community, I'm creating a bootable usb by rufus. It give me 3 options: 1, Create with legacy BIOS or UEFI 2, Create with only UEFI 3, Create with only legacy BIOS Can someone explain to me these 3 options, and your recommendation option ? Thank you, have a good day !...
  5. MISTAKE ON CREATING A BOOTABLE USB

MISTAKE ON CREATING A BOOTABLE USB: Is there any chance to recover the files that were in the usb before it was bootable? My aunt forgot to copy her files (all important), so I badly need your opinion on this submitted by /u/jlmrqz15 [link] [comments]...
  6. Creating a bootable USB drive

Creating a bootable USB drive: Hi, I was experiencing something unexpected, when trying to create the drive. Maybe you can tell me what went wrong, as I do not understand it. So, I wanted to help a friend reinstall the OS via thumb drive. This should be pretty straightforward. Download the ISO use a...
  7. Creating bootable USB on a Mac.

Creating bootable USB on a Mac.: I downloaded the latest ISO from Microsoft and used Unetbottin to create a bootable USB on my Mac. When I turned my PC on, I went to BIOS and it recognises the UEFI usb option and I selected it. The installation started but a few mins in ingot an error:...
  8. How to create Multi bootable USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to create Multi bootable USB: I want Win 7, Win 10, Macrium Rescue and one more in one USB. I tried program WinsetupfromUSB but could not run Macrium. Can someone tell how to proceed or is there any other program which could do it. I think, I selected wrong box while adding Macrium. Can someone tell...
  9. How to Create Bootable USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to Create Bootable USB: Hi, Just downloaded windows 10 Installation Media from Download Windows 10 . There are two options there Update and Download tool now. I first tried Update and was told that a newer version was available. This was downloaded successfully. That said, the reason I went on there...
  10. Issue creating bootable USB drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Issue creating bootable USB drive: Hi all, my first post. Thank you for any assistance in advance. I got a new 2nd hand Asus 2 in 1. I managed to finally get a fully functional Ubuntu Linux distro (dual boot) working on it. Unfortunately after getting it finally functional (Cheery Trail processors are not...