Windows 10: Creating deployment process with WDS/MDT.

Discus and support Creating deployment process with WDS/MDT. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I am a Help Desk Analyst and am being challenged with learning sysAdmin tasks. I've been tasked with setting up a deployment process, and I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by cnelsenxx1, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Creating deployment process with WDS/MDT.

Hi, I am a Help Desk Analyst and am being challenged with learning sysAdmin tasks. I've been tasked with setting up a deployment process, and I have been trying for a few weeks now to deploy an image with WDS/MDT. I've searched the internet hard trying to figure it out but everything I try is not working so I thought I'd try a forum.

If you could please give me some direction I appreciate it a lot!

A little about my setup:

I have two servers.

Server 1 (Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard) is in charge of AD/DNS/DHCP. Server 1 is functional and I have had no issues. Example: I can manually configure a laptop and join it to my domain then log in with my AD credentials.

Server 2 (Windows Server 2019) is meant for WDS/MDT and also has a separate partition. I have completed the install and configuration of WDS/MDT and it is joined to my domain which is Server 1.

The laptops I am trying to deploy an image to are Dell Latitude E5540 and run Windows 10 Pro.

I signed up for a trial copy of Windows Enterprise so I could grab the necessary windows install/boot files from the ISO. I have used those on my Server 2 (WDS/MDT Server) to create an Install and Boot image in Windows Deployment Services because I wanted to see the laptop go through a deployment before I started to configure the image more.

The laptop I am trying to image is a Dell Latitude E5540 and has been configured BIOs to PXE boot but when I turn the laptop on it does not even attempt to PXE boot and goes straight to the normal out of the box windows setup.

I'm a bit stumped and if there is any other information can I provide or if anyone has any recommendations I would very much appreciate it!

:)

cnelsenxx1, Jan 15, 2020

2. Creating deployment process with WDS/MDT.

Hi, I am a Help Desk Analyst and am being challenged with learning sysAdmin tasks. I've been tasked with setting up a deployment process, and I have been trying for a few weeks now to deploy an image with WDS/MDT. I've searched the internet hard trying to figure it out but everything I try is not working so I thought I'd try a forum.

If you could please give me some direction I appreciate it a lot!

A little about my setup:

I have two servers.

Server 1 (Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard) is in charge of AD/DNS/DHCP. Server 1 is functional and I have had no issues. Example: I can manually configure a laptop and join it to my domain then log in with my AD credentials.

Server 2 (Windows Server 2019) is meant for WDS/MDT and also has a separate partition. I have completed the install and configuration of WDS/MDT and it is joined to my domain which is Server 1.

The laptops I am trying to deploy an image to are Dell Latitude E5540 and run Windows 10 Pro.

I signed up for a trial copy of Windows Enterprise so I could grab the necessary windows install/boot files from the ISO. I have used those on my Server 2 (WDS/MDT Server) to create an Install and Boot image in Windows Deployment Services because I wanted to see the laptop go through a deployment before I started to configure the image more.

The laptop I am trying to image is a Dell Latitude E5540 and has been configured BIOs to PXE boot but when I turn the laptop on it does not even attempt to PXE boot and goes straight to the normal out of the box windows setup.

I'm a bit stumped and if there is any other information can I provide or if anyone has any recommendations I would very much appreciate it!

cnelsenxx1, Jan 15, 2020
  3. SarahKong Win User
    SarahKong, Jan 15, 2020
  4. mike39sm Win User

Creating deployment process with WDS/MDT.

MDT Multicast

Hello Everyone,

I am new to MDT multicast and was hoping someone can answer my question, I set my MDT server up for multicast and it goes all the way to 99% and I watch it in the WDS console under my deployment share, I can see three clients and when they reach 99% and
    I hit refresh the clients disappear which i think means it reached 100% but then on the client side its rolls back to installing operating system and starts the percent count again. Is multicast on MDT work different, does it first download the image to one
    computer and once downloaded it distributes that one image to all others . I found an article below that explains how it should work but I am not sure if I am understanding it correctly.

Here is the overall process:

• ClientA starts a multicast session to download Win7SP1x86.wim from the MDT/WDS Server.
    • When the broadcast session of Win7SP1x86.wim reaches 25%, ClientB joins the session in progress. ClientB knows that it missed the first ¼ of the Win7SP1x86.wim file, so it starts writing 25% into its local copy of Win7SP1x86.wim.
    • When the multicast session reaches 100% of Win7SP1x86.wim, ClientA is done and drops off. However, ClientB is still missing the first ¼ of the file, and stays on the multicast chanel as it restarts (rolls back) to zero.
    • Eventually the multicast session of Win7SP1x86.wim reaches the 25% mark where ClientB first joined. ClientB now has 100% of the file and drops off. No clients are connected, and the server stops broadcasting.

mike39sm, Jan 15, 2020
Thema:

Creating deployment process with WDS/MDT.

1. Creating deployment process with WDS/MDT. - Similar Threads - Creating deployment process

2. Moving MDT deployment share to a new server

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving MDT deployment share to a new server: Hello, I'm in the process of building a new VM of Server 2022 and would like some advice on moving our deployment share MDT to the new server. I'd like to move the deployment share that resides on a separate partition on the old server and reattach to the new Windows Server...
  3. Moving MDT deployment share to a new server

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving MDT deployment share to a new server: Hello, I'm in the process of building a new VM of Server 2022 and would like some advice on moving our deployment share MDT to the new server. I'd like to move the deployment share that resides on a separate partition on the old server and reattach to the new Windows Server...
  4. Latitude 7210 with Microsoft Deployment Toolkit MDT

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Latitude 7210 with Microsoft Deployment Toolkit MDT: Does someone have enterprise experience with the Dell Latitude 7210 2-in-1 tablets with MDT? I cannot get these to boot off the UEFI MDT boot media that we created and am hoping someone else in the community has had some experience with these....
  5. MDT is not deploying drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MDT is not deploying drivers: Hello everyone, I wish you a happy new year and the best of health. at work, MDT deploys 1 window 10 pro image to all models of computers. I do that by in task seq. I disabled the default inject driver step and add my custom task step. then named it DriverGroup001 and...
  6. MDT 2013 Deployment

MDT 2013 Deployment: we distribution OS of Chinese and Korean by MDT 2013 deployment, so I want to manually set language and time , but unable to activated when I was changed MDT Rules as the following, what should i do [Settings] Priority=Default Properties=MyCustomProperty [Default] :...
  7. MDT and wds problem

MDT and wds problem: Hi, is have a problem with deploying windows 10 LTSC 1809 I installed a windows ltsc 1809 and customized it in audit mode with answer file copyprofile=true and run litetouch.vbs in deployment share and captured it. But my problem is: after deploying the image on new machine...
  8. MDT Fails when deploying 1803 and 1809

MDT Fails when deploying 1803 and 1809: Dear Colleagues, I would like to ask for your assistance: - I have a Windows Server 2012 R2. 1809 ADK, MDT 6.3.8456.1000, DISM 10.0.17763.1 + WinPE 1809 installed. - Deploying Windows 10 1703 is always succeed. - I have an alternate DeplymentShare on the same server and...
  9. Can MDT/WDS deploy only recovery, efi & C Partition ?

Can MDT/WDS deploy only recovery, efi & C Partition ?: Hello, Want to learn about MDT/WDS but have a very specific requirement. I've to deploy Windows 10 64 bit on 15 computers which already have lots of data in their D & E partitions. Taking their backup & restoring them after deployment is not practical. So I want to install...
  10. unable to login after a win10 1803 MDT/WDS deployment

unable to login after a win10 1803 MDT/WDS deployment: I was able to create and deploy a win10 1803 image containing a number of software packages, the deployment ends with no errors, it joins a domain. Everything worked fine with the first set of computers. However it is not working right for some other computers which have...