Windows 10: Creating new folder causes freeze - intermittent problem

Discus and support Creating new folder causes freeze - intermittent problem in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I create a new folder on the desktop, then try to give it a name my computer freezes. Screen goes pale with a spinning circle, then after a minute... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by badcrc, Dec 14, 2016.

1. badcrc Win User

Creating new folder causes freeze - intermittent problem

When I create a new folder on the desktop, then try to give it a name my computer freezes. Screen goes pale with a spinning circle, then after a minute or two it unfreezes - the folder is there but called 'New Folder'. I try to rename it and the same thing happens.

This is an intermittent problem, and at first I thought it just happened on the desktop, but today the same thing happened when creating a new folder in the music library. System is Windows 10 Pro x64, 2600K 8GB ram, SSD, Classic Shell, temps OK, no malware.

Any suggestions to fix this welcome. I worried that the next freeze will need a hard reset - lose any unsaved work etc.

:)

badcrc, Dec 14, 2016
  2. Nina_896 Win User

Problems with folders in Windows 10

Since I started using Windows 10 there has been multiple problems with folders. I fixed the problems, but now a new problem emerged: a lot of the times when I try to create a new folder and name it, or when I want to change the name of an existing folder
    my pc freezes. This doesn't happen if I do not give a name to the folder when I'm creating a new folder and just let it be as "new folder".

Any solutions to this?

Nina_896, Dec 14, 2016
  3. XLave Win User
    File Explorer freezes when I make a new folder in windows 10 Anniversary Update

I'm having the exact same problem: W10 installed in an SSD and when trying to create a folder in other HDD, File Explorer freezes for a minute or so. This is happening since the Anniversary Update.

Try the solution mention before with the shell extensions but, even with all disabled, it keeps freezing when a new folder it's created.

Any clues?

XLave, Dec 14, 2016
  4. Creating new folder causes freeze - intermittent problem

badcrc,

Usually in Windows 10 the File Explorer freezes because either you have a third party application that is interfering with the system files.You can follow the information in the link below as a possible resolution for the issue. It appears that most of the response from the users that the Step 2 worked for them.

NOTE**When editing the Registry Be Very Careful**

Fix: File Explorer Freezes When I Make a New Folder in Windows 8.1/10

Dell Jesse, Dec 14, 2016
  5. badcrc Win User
    No disrespect, but I'm not going to take advice on registry tweaks from a website that is loaded with 'click here to speed up your pc' or 'we recommend you run this driver update tool'. It's my experience that people who click such ads invariably end up with more problems than they thought they had in the first place. I dread to think what that page you linked looks like without adblocking.

Marked solved - I'll try elsewhere

badcrc, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Creating new folder causes freeze - intermittent problem

1. Creating new folder causes freeze - intermittent problem - Similar Threads - Creating folder causes

2. intermittent freezing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    intermittent freezing: Because my computer had become very slow I recently performed a complete re-install of Windows, Office 365 and Photoshop. I deleted unwanted data files and performed defrag. No other software was installed. This seemed to work initially. However, over about a week problems...
  3. intermittent freezing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    intermittent freezing: Because my computer had become very slow I recently performed a complete re-install of Windows, Office 365 and Photoshop. I deleted unwanted data files and performed defrag. No other software was installed. This seemed to work initially. However, over about a week problems...
  4. MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION error causing computer to freeze intermittently

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION error causing computer to freeze intermittently: Hi there, I have been having an issue that has been increasing in frequency in recent weeks. When I do anything remotely intensive on my computer playing video games, working, etc my computer will freeze, audio stops and the computer reboots. When I check the Event...
  5. CREATING A NEW FOLDER

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    CREATING A NEW FOLDER: I am unable to create a new folder on any of drives using Windows 10 anyone had this issue or know a fix for it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/creating-a-new-folder/258c0742-8a52-4391-bad5-5f9bb36ca7a0"
  6. create new folder

create new folder: I cant create a new folder in windows 10 in my pictures. how do I fix this.? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-new-folder/cbc88120-c637-451f-9adf-def7e54748fa"
  7. File Explorer freezes when creating new folders

File Explorer freezes when creating new folders: Hi, My problem is exactly as the title says. Every time I try to create a new folder, File Explorer freezes and then crashes after about a minute or two. I really wanna fix this as I am a student and need folders to organize my files but I don't really know how to proceed...
  8. A silly problem with creating new folder

A silly problem with creating new folder: First I want to thank microsoft corporation for windows 10 that was a great effort I just have a silly problem when I right click then New ( to create a new folder ) the computer goes to a long lag then nothing happened Actually I create a new folder from shortcut...
  9. PC freezing while creating new files or folders

PC freezing while creating new files or folders: When i try to make a new file in any folder or even my desktop, my computer freezes and then flashes before going back to normal. It only happens on the Current update for windows 10. ***Original title: Can't make any new files in Windows 10***...
  10. Creating New Folder from Desktop Applications causes a Freeze

in Windows 10 Support
    Creating New Folder from Desktop Applications causes a Freeze: Hi, When I'm using some desktop applications (such as XnViewMP or Marvelous Designer) and the program asks me where to save a file, if I try to create a new folder then the explorer file dialog just freezes. I find that the only thing I can do is terminate the desktop...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. computer freezes when trying to create new folder

2. wont let me insert a new folder before freezing

3. w10 freeze when trying to create folder

4. windows 10 freezes trying to create a new folder,
  5. new folder causing white flash,
  6. new folder freezes computer in windows 10,
  7. windows 10 hangs up when trying to create a new folder.,
  8. create new folder lag,
  9. new folder freezes win 10,
  10. create new folder freez w10,
  11. why does my PC freeze on create new folder,