Windows 10: Creating New Folder from Desktop Applications causes a Freeze

Discus and support Creating New Folder from Desktop Applications causes a Freeze in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, When I'm using some desktop applications (such as XnViewMP or Marvelous Designer) and the program asks me where to save a file, if I try to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by stretch65, Jan 20, 2017.

1. stretch65 Win User

Creating New Folder from Desktop Applications causes a Freeze

Hi,

When I'm using some desktop applications (such as XnViewMP or Marvelous Designer) and the program asks me where to save a file, if I try to create a new folder then the explorer file dialog just freezes. I find that the only thing I can do is terminate the desktop application to avoid this freeze (which means, of course, that I've just lost the work that I was trying to save - VERY annoying!).

What can I do about this? It's been driving me nuts for weeks now.

(my system runs the latest Windows 10)

:)

stretch65, Jan 20, 2017
  2. RanDembo Win User

Application freeze when I try to create a new folder (win 10)

When I try to create a new windows file folder from an application the application freeze (need to force it to close).

Windows 10

Happen both in office (word 2013) and other (non Microsoft) applications.

RanDembo, Jan 20, 2017
  3. Shilohbob Win User
    Can not create New Folder in Desktop

I am not sure what is causing your problem, but I created a 'New Folder' on 'Desktop' from within the 'Desktop' folder and when checking the 'DESKTOP' the new folder appeared, try this see if it works for you!!!!!

Hope you can understand my procedure!!!

Shilohbob, Jan 20, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

Download Sysinternals Process Explorer from microsoft.com and use it to see what sub process may be causing this. Is it all programs that is causing this behavior or just these two you stated? Running any third party security software? Have you tried running sfc /scannow from a Command Window, along with Chkdsk? Also run cleanup from Administrative tools and Defrag? Indexing can also cause it. You can try and turn it off to see if that solves it.

The troubleshooting part will take you time to narrow it down to what is exactly causing this.

bro67, Jan 20, 2017
Thema:

1. Creating New Folder from Desktop Applications causes a Freeze - Similar Threads - Creating Folder Desktop

2. Microsoft Remote Desktop MacOS - Occassional application freeze causing other applications...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft Remote Desktop MacOS - Occassional application freeze causing other applications...: I've been running into an occasional application freezing issue while connected to another computer over RDP. While the Remote Desktop application is unresponsive this also causes Slack to freeze, a force close of Remote Desktop fixes the issue for a while. This can happen...
  3. Creating a 'new folder' on the desktop

Creating a 'new folder' on the desktop: On both windows 10 computers, when I right click the desktop, to try and create a 'new folder', the computer does not recognize the desktop and can not create a new folder....
  4. Restore ability to create new folder on desktop

Restore ability to create new folder on desktop: I can no longer create a new folder not just on desktop. Do I have to reinstall win 10 to make it work or is there another EASY way to do this? Thanks Cal...
  5. cannot create new folder on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    cannot create new folder on desktop: When I right click on the desktop screen and click new folder my screen blanks out then comes back, but am unable to create a new folder. Whats going on here? Thanks for any help. K 131706
  6. Unable to create shortcuts or new folders on Desktop, (system freezes)

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to create shortcuts or new folders on Desktop, (system freezes): When I right click on the desktop the menu pops up. But when I click on a choice NEW> the PC freezes for about 10 seconds then the screen goes blue. After about 5 seconds my icons pop up on a white screen then the wallpaper slowly fades back in. Then one by one the icons on...
  7. File Explorer freezes when creating new folders

File Explorer freezes when creating new folders: Hi, My problem is exactly as the title says. Every time I try to create a new folder, File Explorer freezes and then crashes after about a minute or two. I really wanna fix this as I am a student and need folders to organize my files but I don't really know how to proceed...
  8. A right click on the desktop to select NEW freezes, unable to create a new folder

A right click on the desktop to select NEW freezes, unable to create a new folder: A right click on the desktop to select NEW freezes, unable to create a new folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/a-right-click-on-the-desktop-to-select-new-freezes/9af3b440-95ce-46c9-8ec2-d6cf1625a3c4
  9. PC freezing while creating new files or folders

PC freezing while creating new files or folders: When i try to make a new file in any folder or even my desktop, my computer freezes and then flashes before going back to normal. It only happens on the Current update for windows 10. ***Original title: Can't make any new files in Windows 10***...
  10. Creating new folder causes freeze - intermittent problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Creating new folder causes freeze - intermittent problem: When I create a new folder on the desktop, then try to give it a name my computer freezes. Screen goes pale with a spinning circle, then after a minute or two it unfreezes - the folder is there but called 'New Folder'. I try to rename it and the same thing happens. This is...