Windows 10: Creating or Renaming a Folder Causes Explorer To Crash

Discus and support Creating or Renaming a Folder Causes Explorer To Crash in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; These are my issues: When I create a New Folder and try naming it, it freezes, then Explorer will restart. The folder will be made but if I try to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by iamsikora, Jan 4, 2016.

1. iamsikora Win User

Creating or Renaming a Folder Causes Explorer To Crash

These are my issues:

When I create a New Folder and try naming it, it freezes, then Explorer will restart. The folder will be made but if I try to rename it, it will do the same thing.

When I try deleting that empty folder, the Moving to Recycle bin takes over 30 sec long, there is nothing inside it. I can delete a big regular file instantly.

The Context menu also has very black thicker separator lines compared to what it should be a faint light grey color. That was the first thing I noticed that was off. Please help. I tried shellextview, disabled all 3rd party items and it still isn't working.

:)

iamsikora, Jan 4, 2016
  2. K Ong Win User

Windows 10 Explorer lags/crashes when renaming folders

Hi! Okay disabling/stopping the Windows Search service worked for me. Uninstalled my AV and tried but problem still persisted so am sure AV is not the problem.

As for Windows Search, when I turned it off I could create, rename and delete folders without lags and crashes. However, once I turned on Windows Explorer and the WSearch started running again, I could create and rename the first folder without hassle; however,
    subsequent folders would cause my Windows Explorer to lag and crash. Any idea how I could deal with this problem? Or should I manually turn off Windows Search every time I wanted to create and rename folders. Thanks!!

K Ong, Jan 4, 2016
  3. Explorer Not Responding on File Rename

When I create two or more new folders in Explorer (and leave their names to be "New Folder", "New Folder2", etc) they are created correctly. When I then rename them, the first one renames correctly. Then, with the following folders, either Explorer hangs
    for about 30 seconds before the second folder is renamed or it crashes immediately, leaving the new folder2 with the name "New Folder2".

AndreTerblanche, Jan 4, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

I would try creating a second user account and see if it does the same thing when logged in as a different user.

NavyLCDR, Jan 4, 2016
  5. topgundcp Win User
    topgundcp, Jan 4, 2016
  6. iamsikora Win User
    I went onto a different user and i can create and rename folders and it works. I can also delete the folder and it goes away instantly.
    Here is the context menu separators, they are much darker than what I remember, looking in Google Images it does not look like that, or in any other program either, they are supposed to be faint grey lines. These black lines appear anywhere in Explorer, in folders, any drive. It looks awful and it's the first thing I noticed wrong. This also happens on the other user account. Thanks so far for helping!

Creating or Renaming a Folder Causes Explorer To Crash [​IMG]

iamsikora, Jan 4, 2016
  7. iamsikora Win User
    iamsikora, Jan 4, 2016
  8. caperjack Win User

I'm no expert ,but I'm a betting man ,and I would bet that your fix for this issue would be a reinstall ,I would run the iso from the desktop and choose update install ,it would /could fix the issue ,but that just me

caperjack, Jan 11, 2016
  9. topgundcp Win User
    File Explorer is a Windows corefile and does have things running in the background. If you install some software that is not compatible then it will cause problem with File Explorer, whether right click, freeze or in your case, it crashes when working with folders.
    I have noticed that you have NVIDIA nview desktop manager installed. What kind of video card do you have ? Try to remove the context menu items for "NVIDIA Control Panel" and "nview" to see if it helps. These 2 items can be accessed via Control Panel and do not need to be in context menu.

EDIT: Also, open task manager->Startup and disable everything then reboot.

topgundcp, Jan 12, 2016
  10. iamsikora Win User
    I already did that, ALL 3rd party extensions were disabled, restarted and still. I enabled some one by one and neither affected it.

I did a safe clean boot and it still did it. I can simply tap DELETE on an empty folder and itll take 30+ seconds to delete, no context menu required. That's never happened before, I can delete a 4gb video and it's gone instantly.

iamsikora, Jan 12, 2016
  11. topgundcp Win User
    Couple of things you might want to try:
    • From Admin command, copy and paste the line below then run:
      Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup&dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth&sfc /scannow&pause
    • Run chkdsk /r /f C:
      NOTE:
      will take a while to run, seems to stall at time. Let it run til finished.

topgundcp, Jan 12, 2016
  12. iamsikora Win User
    Sorry for the delay, been away. It seems to be working now, not sure if a Windows Update fixed it or what, I haven't really done anything.

iamsikora, Jan 29, 2016
  13. iamsikora Win User

Tried #1 (did #2 many times before, no error)

This is #1

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586]
    (c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism.exe

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.10586.0

DISM.exe [dism_options] {Imaging_command} [<Imaging_arguments>]
    DISM.exe {/Image:<path_to_offline_image> | /Online} [dism_options]
    {servicing_command} [<servicing_arguments>]

DESCRIPTION:

DISM enumerates, installs, uninstalls, configures, and updates features
    and packages in Windows images. The commands that are available depend
    on the image being serviced and whether the image is offline or running.

GENERIC IMAGING COMMANDS:

/Split-Image - Splits an existing .wim or .ffu file into multiple
    read-only split WIM/FFU files.
    /Apply-Image - Applies an image.
    /Get-MountedImageInfo - Displays information about mounted WIM and VHD
    images.
    /Get-ImageInfo - Displays information about images in a WIM or VHD
    file.
    /Commit-Image - Saves changes to a mounted WIM or VHD image.
    /Unmount-Image - Unmounts a mounted WIM or VHD image.
    /Mount-Image - Mounts an image from a WIM or VHD file.
    /Remount-Image - Recovers an orphaned image mount directory.
    /Cleanup-Mountpoints - Deletes resources associated with corrupted
    mounted images.
    WIM COMMANDS:

/Apply-CustomDataImage - Dehydrates files contained in the custom data image.
    /Capture-CustomImage - Captures customizations into a delta WIM file on a
    WIMBoot system. Captured directories include all
    subfolders and data.
    /Get-WIMBootEntry - Displays WIMBoot configuration entries for the
    specified disk volume.
    /Update-WIMBootEntry - Updates WIMBoot configuration entry for the
    specified disk volume.
    /List-Image - Displays a list of the files and folders in a
    specified image.
    /Delete-Image - Deletes the specified volume image from a WIM file
    that has multiple volume images.
    /Export-Image - Exports a copy of the specified image to another
    file.
    /Append-Image - Adds another image to a WIM file.
    /Capture-Image - Captures an image of a drive into a new WIM file.
    Captured directories include all subfolders and
    data.
    /Get-MountedWimInfo - Displays information about mounted WIM images.
    /Get-WimInfo - Displays information about images in a WIM file.
    /Commit-Wim - Saves changes to a mounted WIM image.
    /Unmount-Wim - Unmounts a mounted WIM image.
    /Mount-Wim - Mounts an image from a WIM file.
    /Remount-Wim - Recovers an orphaned WIM mount directory.
    /Cleanup-Wim - Deletes resources associated with mounted WIM
    images that are corrupted.

IMAGE SPECIFICATIONS:

/Online - Targets the running operating system.
    /Image - Specifies the path to the root directory of an
    offline Windows image.

DISM OPTIONS:

/English - Displays command line output in English.
    /Format - Specifies the report output format.
    /WinDir - Specifies the path to the Windows directory.
    /SysDriveDir - Specifies the path to the system-loader file named
    BootMgr.
    /LogPath - Specifies the logfile path.
    /LogLevel - Specifies the output level shown in the log (1-4).
    /NoRestart - Suppresses automatic reboots and reboot prompts.
    /Quiet - Suppresses all output except for error messages.
    /ScratchDir - Specifies the path to a scratch directory.

For more information about these DISM options and their arguments, specify an
    option immediately before /?.

Examples:
    DISM.exe /Mount-Wim /?
    DISM.exe /ScratchDir /?
    DISM.exe /Image:C:\test\offline /?
    DISM.exe /Online /?

C:\WINDOWS\system32>Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup&dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth&sfc /scannow&pause

Image Version: 10.0.10586.0

[==========================100.0%==========================]
    The operation completed successfully.

Image Version: 10.0.10586.0

[==========================100.0%==========================]

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
    Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see Configure a Windows Repair Source.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 17% complete.

iamsikora, Jan 29, 2016
  14. iamsikora Win User
    Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
    of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
    example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
    supported in offline servicing scenarios.

I attached the CBS log in a zip.

iamsikora, Jan 29, 2016
  15. Microsoft cumulative update (KB3216755) fixed the problem for me

jaydeecomp, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Creating or Renaming a Folder Causes Explorer To Crash - Similar Threads - Creating Renaming Folder

2. renaming a folder in the file explorer folder list

in Windows 10 Gaming
    renaming a folder in the file explorer folder list: I have the same issue as one shown beforeIn W11 File explorer, when I select a folder in the list on the left and right click and select the More Options and click on Rename, the highlighted folder to be renamed, does one of two things, it either 1 - jumps to another folder,...
  3. renaming a folder in the file explorer folder list

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    renaming a folder in the file explorer folder list: I have the same issue as one shown beforeIn W11 File explorer, when I select a folder in the list on the left and right click and select the More Options and click on Rename, the highlighted folder to be renamed, does one of two things, it either 1 - jumps to another folder,...
  4. File Explorer Crashes When Creating New Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Crashes When Creating New Folder: Just tonight, File Explorer started crashing every time I tried to create a new folder. I have rebooted my computer several times and tried multiple fixes. None have worked. And yes, this is a Windows 10 Computer I bought just a few months ago....
  5. File Explorer Hanging or Crashing When Creating/Renaming Folders on RDP

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Explorer Hanging or Crashing When Creating/Renaming Folders on RDP: I'm a lazy person and I RDP from my home desktop to my work laptop. This is all happening on the same LAN. I believe ever since I was updated to version 2004, anytime I create a new folder or rename a folder, File Explorer either hangs for 5-10 seconds or crashes and...
  6. too long to create new folder or rename folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    too long to create new folder or rename folder: Microsoft - why does it take 30 to 90 seconds to create a new folder or rename it??? please assist us with this issue! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/too-long-to-create-new-folder-or-rename-folder/bf0c626d-5ab8-40a6-aa3e-d71a0efe47f4
  7. File explorer crashes when creating new folder!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer crashes when creating new folder!: this only happens when creating a new folder, and only on my user... Whenever I try it on an alternate account, it doesn't happen... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-crashes-when-creating-new-folder/a08bfd61-3538-4a89-87d7-33aa39006a63"
  8. Explorer Freezes Temporarily When Creating a New or Renaming a Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer Freezes Temporarily When Creating a New or Renaming a Folder: This has been happening recently. I can't say it is or is not related to the Anniversary Update. But when I create a new folder or rename an existing folder, the folder box will freeze for 30-60 seconds. Sometimes it will then function as normal, sometimes it will require me...
  9. Creating-Renaming Network Folders - Explorer Crashes - Reboot Needed?

in Windows 10 Support
    Creating-Renaming Network Folders - Explorer Crashes - Reboot Needed?: I have an issue that whenever I create a new folder or try to rename an existing folder in a network directory, the folder window I am in will crash and I have to close the window by clicking the red X in the upper right of the folder window. Whenever this happens, Windows...
  10. File Explorer crashing when trying to rename folders

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer crashing when trying to rename folders: First off. Apologies if this is in the wrong forum *Redface So I have had Windows 10 for a couple of months now, and have never had any issues up until now. Whenever I try to rename a folder/ add new folder file explorer freezes as soon as i touch the keyboard. I've...