Windows 10: Creating partition size greater than 32GB in FAT32.

Discus and support Creating partition size greater than 32GB in FAT32. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; As we all know maximum partition size in Windows is 32GB if fat32. This is oddly a Windows limit, not a fat32 limit There are various 3rd party... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by cereberus, Sep 24, 2017.

1. cereberus Win User

Creating partition size greater than 32GB in FAT32.

As we all know maximum partition size in Windows is 32GB if fat32. This is oddly a Windows limit, not a fat32 limit

There are various 3rd party tools that will format large drives as fat32.

Today, I needed to format a 64GB drive as fat32 as I needed it to be bootable, and had an idea. I simply created a 32 GB fat32 partition using diskpart. I then tried to use minitool partition wizard (which I always install second after Macrium Reflect) to extend the partition to 64GB, and it worked first time.

:)

cereberus, Sep 24, 2017
  2. JimWynne Win User

After formatting external drive, it does not show the size of the entire drive as free.

Windows can't format a FAT32 partition to a size greater than 32GB. You will need to reformat the drive using NTFS to have access to the full capacity.

JimWynne, Sep 24, 2017
  3. Can I convert a partition being used for Users to FAT32?

Hello Charlie,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

Before you begin, note that the FAT32 file system has size limitations. You can't create a FAT32 partition greater than 32 gigabytes (GB).

Also, if you want to use the FAT file system on the partition with NTFS format, you will need to reformat the partition, which erases all data on it.

Hope it helps.

Sayan_Ghosh, Sep 24, 2017
  4. sml156 Win User

The actual limit to FAT32 partitions is 2 TB, But individual file size is limited to 4 Gigs. Microsoft limited their formatting software to 32 Gig but some third party software did not play by Microsoft rules.

sml156, Sep 24, 2017
Thema:

1. Creating partition size greater than 32GB in FAT32. - Similar Threads - Creating partition size

2. Partition size

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Partition size: Hi so i was trying to dual boot ubuntu and windows and i tried to create a new partition for ubuntu but the maximum size for the partition is 134mb and i tried typing in the number of 60gb but it maxed out at 134 so i dont know what to do and if anyone has any help please...
  3. Android greater than 2.2

in Windows 10 Customization
    Android greater than 2.2: Is Windows 10 Version 1809 Android greater than 2.2 for downloading a new app? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/android-greater-than-22/1306a211-fb53-4e1e-a475-ee0efa0cbadc
  4. Help with The required buffer size is greater than the buffer size passed to the Collect...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Help with The required buffer size is greater than the buffer size passed to the Collect...: I have been getting this error and I was wondering if there is a way to fix it : The required buffer size is greater than the buffer size passed to the Collect function of the "C:\Windows\System32\perfts.dll" Extensible Counter DLL for the "LSM" service. The given buffer...
  5. Mouse Hover Over Folder Shows File Size Much Greater Than Properties Shows It

Mouse Hover Over Folder Shows File Size Much Greater Than Properties Shows It: Greetings: I have a folder containing photos, Word docs, music, etc. A mouse hover over the folder shows a file size of approximately 20 GB. But when right click on the folder and select properties, it shows a size of roughly 6 GB. Which is it and why the discrepancy?...
  6. Recover Fat32 partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Recover Fat32 partition: I had partitioned my D drive to install Linux. It did not install properly, now I am left with 3 partitions 1. The original D drive, now shrunk 500GB 2. 200 MB partition 3. An unallocated partition 400GB I am not able to use the 3rd partition. I just want it all to be...
  7. Upload speed is greater than Download speed

Upload speed is greater than Download speed: Hey guys, If upload speed is greater than Download speed is it okay or I should contact network provider to fix parameters ? [ATTACH] Regards. 120739
  8. Create bootable USB installer if install.wim is greater than 4GB

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create bootable USB installer if install.wim is greater than 4GB: How to: Create bootable USB installer if install.wim is greater than 4GB [img] Information As discussed in tutorial DISM - Split install.wim file | Windows 10 Tutorials, it is not possible to create a bootable flash drive in fat32 format if the install.wim file is over...
  9. Windows Folder Size greater than Size on Disk

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Folder Size greater than Size on Disk: My 32GB Windows 10 Home PC (recently upgraded from 8.1) is low on disk space. I deleted Windows.old and I have hibernation disabled. Apart from a few browsers, very little else is installed, yet I only have 11.7GB left? One reason may be the size of the Windows folder:...
  10. Storage bug? summary capacity & usage greater than disk/partition size

in Windows 10 Support
    Storage bug? summary capacity & usage greater than disk/partition size: re Settings -> System -> Storage It seems as though Windows 10 can add some, but not necessarily all new or detected partitions to an aggregate capacity under the label This PC (C: ) Even if the partitions are empty NTFS or RAW (inc. Linux Swap?) also include them as...