Windows 10: Creating Recovery Drive and Reinstallation Media

Discus and support Creating Recovery Drive and Reinstallation Media in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello. Should I create my USB Recovery Drive and Reinstallation Media for my Windows 10 PC when its right out of the box - before the first set of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Linda1976, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Linda1976 Win User

Creating Recovery Drive and Reinstallation Media

Hello. Should I create my USB Recovery Drive and Reinstallation Media for my Windows 10 PC when its right out of the box - before the first set of Windows updates?

:)

Linda1976, Oct 19, 2019

2. Creating a recovery drive

Hi Russel,

As an initial step, we suggest that you disconnect any external device connected to your computer leaving only the mouse, keyboard, and the flash drive that you want to use as a recovery drive. We also suggest disabling your antivirus temporarily. Antivirus
    softwares are also known to interfere with recovery media creation since they are running a background scan while files are being converted.

Let this article serve as your reference.

Get back to us if you need further assistance.

Adrianne Buc, Oct 19, 2019
  3. Cannot create recovery drive or bootable usb using media creation tool

Hi Stuart,

To assist you better with your concern, are you getting an error message upon creating a recovery drive, as well as creating a bootable USB drive? If yes, what's the error message?

In addition to that, have you tried the steps from the following articles:

Regards.

Marque Lor, Oct 19, 2019
  4. Rey Cam Win User

Create a Recovery Drive?

Hi Kaspaz,

Let us first check the recovery drive creation process that you have done. Below is a step by step process of creating a recovery drive:

• From the taskbar, search for Create a recovery drive and then select it. You might be asked to enter an admin password or confirm your choice.
    • When the tool opens, make sure Back up system files to the recovery drive
      is selected and then select Next.
    • Connect a USB drive to your PC, select it, and then select Next > Create.
      A lot of files need to be copied to the recovery drive, so this might take a while.
    • When it’s done, you might see a Delete the recovery partition from your PC
      link on the final screen. If you want to free up drive space on your PC, select the link and then select
      Delete. If not, select Finish.

If you have done the same steps above and the rest of your file is still not showing.
    Please post back some details:

• Which drive are you referring to?
    • Can you send us a screenshot of what you are seeing?
    • Besides creating a recovery drive, have you done any other changes on your computer?
    • What is the make and model of your USB hard drive device?
    • Have you tried plugging it on another port?
    • What is the current version and build number of your Windows 10 Computer? To know these details, follow the steps below:
      • Select the Start button.
      • Type About your PC.
      • Press Enter to find out the version and build number of your Windows 10 PC.

Let us know the result after performing the troubleshooting steps and if your concern was left unresolved, kindly get back to us with the answers to our inquiry, so that we can assist you further.

Rey Cam, Oct 19, 2019
Thema:

1. Creating Recovery Drive and Reinstallation Media - Similar Threads - Creating Recovery Drive

2. Create a recovery drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Create a recovery drive: Warning: Use an empty USB drive because this process will erase any data that's already stored on the drive. can i add OTHER files to the USB after i complete the process or not ? ( W10) 177798
  3. Create a recovery drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Create a recovery drive: I have been trying to create a recovery drive on 2 Dell laptops. The message I receive at the end is "we can't create the recovery drive" "a problem occurred while creating it." I am using 16gb flash drives. Please help....
  4. How to create recovery media?

How to create recovery media?: Hi I just wanted to know how to create recovery media. I know that there is a program on my computer that I use. So first I know that I will have to get an external drive to create the recovery media on, but how much space will it need to have? When I create the recovery...
  5. Creating recovery media

Creating recovery media: My computer is continually freezing. Is it too late to create a recovery USB thourgh the HP Support Assistant? Does Windows need to be in full functioning condition for a recovery media to be made? 129809
  6. Create Recovery Drive

Create Recovery Drive: I'm trying to create a recovery drive. I followed all the instructions, but the process doesn't recognize the USB drive I inserted (three different ones). I put the USB in an empty port on the front of my PC. Does it need to go in a special port? Any ideas? Thanks....
  7. create recovery drive

create recovery drive: how to create a recovery drive for re-installing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-recovery-drive/9d3a86bc-671e-443b-971a-06f457768705
  8. will not create a recovery drive

will not create a recovery drive: i run recovery drive, it says will create on usb D: then says cannot create https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-not-create-a-recovery-drive/447d2cce-51c2-47a7-8d7a-a644fbdf73b8
  9. Unable to create a recovery drive by Recovery Media Creator

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Unable to create a recovery drive by Recovery Media Creator: I tried to create a recovery drive on Dell Inspiron 13 7000 according to these instructions. My OS is Windows 10 build 1803 17134.523 (why this cannot be copied?!) The USB key is a brand new 16GB Kingston DataTraveler 100 G3, checked for errors, formatted first with NTFS,...
  10. Create recovery drive

Create recovery drive: I am in the process of setting up my desktop following the directions at “How to set up Dell computer” (https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln127699/how-to-set-up-your-new-dell-computer?lang=en) Once the desktop loaded, I attempted to Create Recovery Media using...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. setting up recovery/reinstallation media