Windows 10: Creating Storage Space Without Losing Data

Discus and support Creating Storage Space Without Losing Data in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey Everyone, I have a separate SSD (from my C: drive) with all of my PC games on it that is running out of space. I was thinking of expanding to a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ImmaculateJones, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Creating Storage Space Without Losing Data

Hey Everyone, I have a separate SSD (from my C: drive) with all of my PC games on it that is running out of space. I was thinking of expanding to a larger SSD, but instead of replacing it, I wanted to add another SSD and then combine the newer and older drives, similar to a RAID. I was reading up on Storage Spaces and I was curious to know if I could just create a pool, without redundancy (Resiliency Type: Simple), and effectively just make it "appear" to increase the space of one overall drive -- without losing data on the original SSD.

I know I could just save off my save data, wipe out the old SSD, and then reinstall all of the games into this new "pool" but I wanted to see if that could be avoided. Thanks in advance!

submitted by /u/ImmaculateJones
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ImmaculateJones, Dec 30, 2020

2. Any way to downgrade ver. of MS Storage spaces volume w/o data loss?

1. Install Windows 1607 & 1709 dual boot system
    2. Connect two free disks
    3. Boot into 1607
    4. Create storage pool, assign two free disks, create two-way mirror volume
    5. Copy data to new volume
    6. Reboot into 1709
    7. Upgrade your Storage Space pool to gain new features as MS suggests
    8. Reboot into 1607
    9. Your Storage Space configuration looks now as in the picture, volume is inaccessible
    10. Notice that doing step 7 was not the smartest idea, data are now accessible only from Windows 1709.

Question: Is it possible to simply revert Storage Spaces metadata back to version 1607? Answer: No. It is necessary to backup data, destroy upgraded pool, create new pool & mirror in Windows 1607, and restore data.

Is it so hard to understand what necros asks for?

muchomurka, Dec 30, 2020
  3. Creating storage spaces using 2 drives

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you want to create storage spaces on your workstation using two drivers.

I would suggest you to refer the section Should I create a simple, mirror, or parity space? in the article

Storage Spaces in Windows 10
    . Also, for more information you can refer the article

Virtualizing storage for scale, resiliency, and efficiency

However, as the query is related to creating storage spaces on workstation, I would suggest you to post your query on

TechNet forums
    , where they provide dedicated support and information on creating storage spaces on the PC.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Dec 30, 2020
  4. Clintlgm Win User

Creating Storage Space Without Losing Data

Any way to downgrade ver. of MS Storage spaces volume w/o data loss?

WOW this sound even worse than a straight up RAID 0, This confirms I'll never use this feature if I ever need to have a RAID 0 Volume I'll use IRST

I still think if the OP has a full back up of the volume he should be able to restore it to a newer version of SS or a IRST Volume or a single drive

Clintlgm, Dec 30, 2020
Thema:

Creating Storage Space Without Losing Data

1. Creating Storage Space Without Losing Data - Similar Threads - Creating Storage Space

2. Creating New Storage Spaces

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Creating New Storage Spaces: Hi all,So I am trying to create a new storage space, as my internal disk space is low. I was intending on using an external drive but wasn't too sure what was needed. When I looked on the support section for this option, it said even a USB drive should work but, for some...
  3. Creating New Storage Spaces

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating New Storage Spaces: Hi all,So I am trying to create a new storage space, as my internal disk space is low. I was intending on using an external drive but wasn't too sure what was needed. When I looked on the support section for this option, it said even a USB drive should work but, for some...
  4. Creating New Storage Spaces

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. unallocated HDD without losing data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unallocated HDD without losing data: Hello i have problemi have HDD Disk 2 but there some stuff on there i dont want to lose it or format is there any solution to fix it? without losing data plz :?...
  6. unallocated HDD without losing data

unallocated HDD without losing data: Hello i have problemi have HDD Disk 2 but there some stuff on there i dont want to lose it or format is there any solution to fix it? without losing data plz :?...
  7. Reinstall Windows without losing data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstall Windows without losing data: If I use media creation tool - upgrade this pc now, then it will keep my apps and files?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reinstall-windows-without-losing-data/3c3f5739-b3c1-401e-8b1b-b7fbd8f51743
  8. Reinstall Windows without losing data

Reinstall Windows without losing data: If I use media creation tool - upgrade this pc now, then it will keep my apps and files?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reinstall-windows-without-losing-data/3c3f5739-b3c1-401e-8b1b-b7fbd8f51743
  9. Adding a Drive to Storage Spaces Without Losing Data

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Adding a Drive to Storage Spaces Without Losing Data: Currently I backup my PC to an 8TB disk using Windows 10 backup. The drive is almost full so using Storage Spaces, I would like to add a new 8 TB drive for a total of 16 TB without losing any data byFirst create a new Storage Space on a new blank 8TB driveCopy the current 8...
  10. create a new pool and storage space in the manage storage spaces

in Windows 10 Customization
    create a new pool and storage space in the manage storage spaces: Dear all, I have connected two USB storage drives, each one of them is 16 GB. I tried to create a new virtual pool but it did not work out. I thought the size is not enough and it may need extra storage spaces. I connected 64 GB then opened the storage space but I am still...