Windows 10: Creating system Image to external drive

Discus and support Creating system Image to external drive in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi,I am unable to create a system image to a brand new western digital external drive. My C drive has 170BG & the usb I’m trying to back it up to has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by conorhoulihan1, Jan 7, 2022.

1. Creating system Image to external drive

Hi,I am unable to create a system image to a brand new western digital external drive. My C drive has 170BG & the usb I’m trying to back it up to has 230GB spare.When I attempt to create the system image, it comes up with 'This drive is not a valid backup location'.I've tired re-formatting the drive current NTFS using diskpart, but it makes no difference.Any advise would be most welcome.

:)

conorhoulihan1, Jan 7, 2022
  2. Martmcd Win User

Create System Image of External Drive

Hi snoopaloopas

windows image backup is being deprecated and has become unreliable

Microsoft recommend using a third party solution for image backups

The free version of Macrium reflect is able to create an image of an external drive.

and can be downloaded from
    https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

when you open it you will see the disks listed on the right hand side, click the external drive then click the "image this disk" link below.

give it a destination path and name, click finish

you may also want to create rescue media, so that you can boot to that on the repaired machine and restore the image.

have a look at the user guide for further instructions.

Macrium Reflect KnowledgeBase - KnowledgeBase v7 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase - KnowledgeBase v7 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase...

and/or the quick start guide

Macrium Reflect KnowledgeBase - KnowledgeBase - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase...

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised
    on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Martmcd, Jan 7, 2022
  3. Doc.666 Win User
    Unable to Create system image on external USB Drive

It appears since one of the recent updates I can no longer create system images to external USB drives. This is a critical issues for me as my surface book only has one internal drive and external USB backups is the best option for system images. I have
    been using the Windows 7 backup application for years now and want that option back.

Doc.666, Jan 7, 2022
  4. Anon7861 Win User

Creating system Image to external drive

Capacity of external system image hard drive

In creating a system image, what capacity hard drive the backup must be saved on?
    Should the capacity of the external hard drive equal or exceed that of the source drive?

In the event of a system crash, how is the operating system restored with the system image created?

Anon7861, Jan 7, 2022
Thema:

Creating system Image to external drive

1. Creating system Image to external drive - Similar Threads - Creating system Image

2. External Hard Drive is not being recognized by create a system image in control panel

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive is not being recognized by create a system image in control panel: I am having problems with my drive being recognised in the 'create a system image'.I wanted to back up my entire computer by creating a system image as I'm currently in Windows 11 Insider Program Dev. Channel and want to downgrade to Win 10.Thus, when I plugged in my external...
  3. External Hard Drive is not being recognized by create a system image in control panel

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard Drive is not being recognized by create a system image in control panel: I am having problems with my drive being recognised in the 'create a system image'.I wanted to back up my entire computer by creating a system image as I'm currently in Windows 11 Insider Program Dev. Channel and want to downgrade to Win 10.Thus, when I plugged in my external...
  4. Creating system Image to external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating system Image to external drive: Hi,I am unable to create a system image to a brand new western digital external drive. My C drive has 170BG & the usb I’m trying to back it up to has 230GB spare.When I attempt to create the system image, it comes up with 'This drive is not a valid backup location'.I've tired...
  5. Creating system Image to external drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creating system Image to external drive: Hi,I am unable to create a system image to a brand new western digital external drive. My C drive has 170BG & the usb I’m trying to back it up to has 230GB spare.When I attempt to create the system image, it comes up with 'This drive is not a valid backup location'.I've tired...
  6. Want to create system image of C drive

Want to create system image of C drive: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,I want to create system image of C drive but problem is that it is backing up C and E both drive so I want to Backup C drive only. Please help....
  7. Can't Create System Image on External Hard Drive

Can't Create System Image on External Hard Drive: Recently my ssd had started failing so I replaced it with 2 new ones. I'm trying to transfer the os from the old ssd to the new one. I read online that I need to make a system repair disc and a system image. I was able to create the system repair disc with no issues however I...
  8. Create System Image of External Drive

Create System Image of External Drive: My mother's Dell 5566 laptop died mid-use last week - pretty sure it's the mobo. She hasn't backed up recently so she wants to do that before she takes it in to get fixed I'm working on it with her remotely. Got her a SATA cable to check it using another laptop and it's...
  9. Create a system image not working for USB drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Create a system image not working for USB drive: I recently installed W10 on a new HDD, and also got a new USB flash drive for back up purposes. Both drives are 128GB in size, and the HDD has 37GB of its space used up for the W10 OS, and a few other bits and pieces. The USB drive is empty, and has been formatted for NTFS....
  10. Can I create multiple system images on a single external drive?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can I create multiple system images on a single external drive?: "How to Create a System Image in Windows 8 and 8.1" at System Image - Create in Windows 8 includes the following approach for create multiple system images on a single external drive. Will this approach work in Windows 10? ==========================================...